PDA

View Full Version : 1986 honda 200x recommission after about 15 years of down time.

80gmck10
06-08-2015, 07:45 PM
So i finally got my brother in law to come off his X and sell it to me. He bought it 2 years ago and only thing he did was buy a newer gas tank for it. he bought it from the guy he knew when he was a teenager, who bought it brand new and barely rode it until it was stolen then said person got it back and it sat until by BIL bought it 2 years ago. I got it home this past saturday. paid 500.00 bucks for it. he paid 400 and bought a nicer tank for 100.00 bucks. It had zero compression so took it apart to find bent exhaust and intake valves. other than that i dont think anything else is wrong with the motor. we shall see in a few day when i get the new valves put back in her. she needs brake work and a good lubing and cleaning. hope to be riding it soon. ill keep this updated once she's runnin. plan on having some fun with it for a while then stripping her down and completely rebuilding her. we'll see. 216910216911216912216913216914216915216916

BigRedGrizzly
06-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Nice.... Good luck with it. I'm looking forward to seeing the overhaul. I'm going to look at an 85 tomorrow after work. I'm hoping to haul it back home with me. The wife is going to trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro... When I joined after I got my first 200s someone on the forum told me to be careful, they multiply like gremlins. Sure enough I picked up another 200s. And now possibly a 200x...... Sigh.... It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask permission.... ; )

80gmck10
06-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Nice.... Good luck with it. I'm looking forward to seeing the overhaul. I'm going to look at an 85 tomorrow after work. I'm hoping to haul it back home with me. The wife is going to trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro... When I joined after I got my first 200s someone on the forum told me to be careful, they multiply like gremlins. Sure enough I picked up another 200s. And now possibly a 200x...... Sigh.... It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask permission.... ; )

lol yes they are sort of an addiction. i wish i still had my 85. wish i still had my 84 200s to those things are tanks and pretty much bullet proof. my ex wife and i had matching 84 and 85 200x's. we had alot of fun on those old girls. but i dont need to ask for permission anymore (actually come to thing of it i never did lol guess thats why we didnt get along) and yesterday i showed the ex and she was jealous as all get out lol. if that 85 your going to look at is in decent shape at a decent price buy it best tight trails bike ive ever had. if the kickstarter slips or sporadically engages offer him less because its a chore to fix that problem. i find them a few times a month for sale down here in florida. most of them in running condition anywhere from 400.00 to 1800.00.

BigRedGrizzly
06-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Cool.. Thanks for the tips... [emoji106]

knappyfeet
06-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Nice. You know my 86 had the exact same problem......bent exhaust valve. I guess mine was stored with the exhaust valve open and when I finally went to start it.......the intake must have bent the exhaust.

I like my 85 X......quicker than I thought. Welcome and good luck.

80gmck10
06-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Nice. You know my 86 had the exact same problem......bent exhaust valve. I guess mine was stored with the exhaust valve open and when I finally went to start it.......the intake must have bent the exhaust.

I like my 85 X......quicker than I thought. Welcome and good luck.

interesting i figured it was caused by over-revving/valve float from previous owner. but that makes sense if it was stored for a long time one valve could have hung open long enough for the other one to clip it. so you have a 85 and a 86. is the 86 quicker? i liked my 84 and 85 but from sitting on the 86 i feel a little more stretched out seems like the pegs are more forward like a cruiser bike.

knappyfeet
06-08-2015, 11:20 PM
Yea....... I came to that conclusion based on the marks on the valves. It was as if the bike was stored with the exhaust valve fully opened and then when I went to kick it.....the exhaust valve was stuck open and the intake opened and bent the exhaust valve.

I can't give you a comparison of performance because i havent ridden the 86 yet but the previous owner stated it was considerably different....better handling....more power, etc. I can say that side by side the 86 looks bigger and feels bigger. The tank looks a tick wider.....the front forks are a little longer.....the seat height seems taller.......the rear fenders are considerably bigger and has a contemporary design. I don't know if it's the Mitchell Wheels but the rear width is wider. I haven't done a side by side comparison but will when I am finished with the 86. With that said......there is no question to me that the 85 feels "old" next to the 86. Although between the 2 I like the 85 better.....it was always the one I wanted when I was young.

80gmck10
06-12-2015, 06:52 PM
217092 she's alive! got her back together last night. started first kick. good compression. she runs great. smokes a little once warmed up and under heavy load. guess i should have done the rings while it was apart. pretty sure its the rings. it has new viton valve seals. she's much quicker than the 85 and 84 200x's i had and a much plusher ride. im excited. took my 3 year old daughter for a ride around the yard and she's hooked, she got mad when i said its time to put it away now lol. gonna get back on ebay now and look for some brake components and a piston and ring set.

knappyfeet
06-15-2015, 11:57 PM
217092 took my 3 year old daughter for a ride around the yard and she's hooked, she got mad when i said its time to put it away now lol. gonna get back on ebay

I'm glad you got it up and running. After riding mine the power and it's delivery is considerably different.

While your on ebay looking for brake parts.....don't forget to look for a little atc for your daughter.

80gmck10
06-18-2015, 11:04 PM
I'm glad you got it up and running. After riding mine the power and it's delivery is considerably different.

While your on ebay looking for brake parts.....don't forget to look for a little atc for your daughter.

Right on she's hooked she has the wheelin bug like her daddy now. got her a helmet the other day. The 200x stopped smoking must have been the grease i had on the valve stems. got the front brake working today with a NOS trx 300 master and it works great. now i need a rear fluid reservoir to get the rear brake bled. thats all for now.