PDA

View Full Version : 83 200 drive chain install

B-Radical
06-11-2015, 12:50 PM
I need to replace my chain on my 83 200 (other one was too loose and wouldn't tighten up anymore). What is the best way to put the new one on, and would my rear bearings have anything to do with the looseness of the chain to begin with? I have new rear bearings, should I replace them at the same time as the chain? Thanks

thehorse13
06-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Unless you have no bearings in the thing, they have no impact on chain tension.

If your bearings are shot, you should replace them. The repair should not be dependent upon replacing the chain. Your old chain just stretched out over the years and is now beyond it's functional life.

The short answer is, replace the chain and the bearings.

B-Radical
06-11-2015, 01:26 PM
it was just something I heard, I thought it sounded a bit wacky myself..anyways what is the easiest way to put the new chain on? just cut the old one off, and back out the chain tensioner screw? thanks

thehorse13
06-11-2015, 02:21 PM
No need to cut it. Look for the master link on the chain. Take a screwdriver or a pair of pliers and remove the clip. Once you remove the clip, you can pry off the link and the chain will come right off. It's very simple to do. See the attached pic for an example of what the master link looks like.

You can also jump on youtube and watch a video on how to remove the master link on a chain.

B-Radical
06-12-2015, 01:02 PM
perfect thanks..I assume I will need to back off the chain tensioner all the way, then when I get new chain on tighten it accordingly? 1/2" of play I have been told

thehorse13
06-12-2015, 02:14 PM
Correct.

Your new chain will not be stretched so you will need to back off the tensioners before installing your new chain. 1/2 inch of play will be fine. Your new chain will break in and stretch a little bit so just keep an eye on it for a little while after you complete the installation.