PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!

maxjacks40
06-14-2015, 09:59 AM
I am having some trouble getting my 85 YTM 200 running before Trikefest. It wouldn't start for the longest time but I did an oil change, carb clean, valve clearance adjustment, and a new plug and now it does start. It starts normally but after a couple seconds the RPMs shoot up until it is so loud it sounds like it is going to blow up. The carb is clean: the float moves freely and there is nothing coming out of the overflow. I tried adjusting the idle screw and it doesn't seem to help at all. After I start it and fiddle with it a couple times it dies and doesn't want to start again as if the engine were flooded. I thought maybe the throttle was getting stuck open but I replaced the throttle cable and needle and the slide moves freely in the carb. Could it have something to do with the choke? I am not very experienced working on these but I like doing it. Just stumped on this one :wondering

Yamawheeler
06-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Check your choke make sure there's no debris in the carb at all. Can get in while putting back together. If idle screw is not doing anything. That's a definite starting point. My idle screw if it's turned in to much revs it up and if it's turned out to much then it won't start and idles really low. If it is turned to far any direction it won't start.

Yamawheeler
06-14-2015, 10:15 AM
I think it's 2 1/2 turns out for both air/fuel screw and idle screw

maxjacks40
06-14-2015, 11:34 AM
Okay so if I start it and the idle starts climbing and I quickly unscrew the idle screw a lot it will stop climbing. But then it sounds like it's not getting enough gas and dies. Also when I took the choke out of the carb it was really hard to pull out. Like I thought it was going to brake. But when I inspected it I didn't see any debris in there or anything and sprayed it out well.

Yamawheeler
06-14-2015, 07:55 PM
When un screwing idle screw turn slowly till it idle out. And make sure air fuel screw is 2 1/2 turns out. (Bottom of carb flat head) have you inspected fuel cock? Mine was gummed up bad and couldn't use my res. choke for some reason mine was like that too the last time I pulled mine apart

BigRedGrizzly
06-14-2015, 09:23 PM
Make sure you have enough gas in the tank. The bike running out of gas will lean out and produce that symptom. Make sure the gas flowing from the tank is not being hindered.