PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Buys a Trike - Pre-purchase

Johnny1996
06-14-2015, 10:56 PM
Okay fellow 3WW members, some of you may remember me and others may not. I haven't been on here in quite some time, but I'm here now and in this thread, I plan to document my "journey" of buying my first trike. With that said, I'll get right into it.

Roughly a year or a year and a half, maybe more, after fellow member slashfan7964 introduced me to the world of trikes on another forum I used to be active on (I might reference it more than once, so I'll refer to it as "The Other Place"), I'm ready to purchase my first trike. Personally I could go for anything to start on up to a 250ES Big Red or 250sx. Anything higher than that is just too powerful for a total beginner like me, unless I were to install an engine governor, but I don't even know if that'd be possible on certain models. Anyway, slashfan suggested a 200x for my first machine, and that's what I'm planning on getting.

Locally, there's two available as of this time last week, both for around $2000 and both are '84 models. The one is owned by the owner of my local ATV shop and the other I found on Craigslist. The latter is all original including the complete wheels installed on the machine, and it includes two complete spares and the original owners manual. The former I actually agreed with on the ATV guy to contact him and he'd bring the trike down to his shop for me to take a look at. However, I never got a return call yesterday when I was told I would, but he mentioned that the shop was extremely busy that day when I called, so he may have simply forgotten among all the work he and his crew had to do. That's okay with me, but if he doesn't return my call by this coming Friday (the 20th), I'm calling it off and I'm just gonna buy something off Craigslist. Anyway, from what he told me, it is mostly together but it may need some things. If so, we agreed that we'd go from there with a price or he could even get the trike to the stage that it needs to be for me. He can also deliver it. If neither of these trike deals work out for me, I'm either gonna buy an ATC 110 and fix it up (also local; $500) or buy a truck if the 110 seller won't deliver the machine and I can't borrow someone's truck and possibly ramps. Right now the only way I can pick up a trike is to toss that [censored] in the back of the family minivan, which I might not be able to get permission to do. I've seen trikes in minivans before, courtesy of slashfan, so I know it's possible. Especially if it's a 110.

So now that I have that little back story done, here's what makes this worth being a thread at this point - Sound off below as you may about anything I've mentioned, including questions. And there is one question I do have, and that is: What can I expect from both machines?

Thanks for reading and helping. :cool:

thehorse13
06-15-2015, 09:08 AM
You will be bored with the 110 in about a week. It has no suspension and bounces around like a balloon. If you intend on putting around on a farm or maybe a swap meet, the 110 is the right trike for you.

A 200X will scare you half to death if you are a beginner but if you ride it with respect, you'll fall in love with this machine. Many people, including myself, know that a 1986-87 200X is a superior machine but they did not make many of them so parts are more difficult to find. I would stay with an 84 or 85 model year for the sake of your sanity with parts sourcing.

If you shop around, there are deals to be had. Take your time and choose a trike that is as complete as possible.

86125m
06-15-2015, 11:26 AM
both are great bikes but a 200xhas more power and full suspension. I love my 125m but its lack of suspension encouraged me to find my 200x which is in the process of getting completely restored.

Johnny1996
06-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys. My plan with the 110, after I've thought about it this morning, would be to fix it up and sell it for more money, which should be easy since there's not a lot of new parts that I'd need to get. But so far, 200x it is. :)

ironchop
06-15-2015, 02:52 PM
any $2000 200X that's "mostly together" is overpriced in my area.

a $2000 first gen 200X is usually in totally awesome condition and everything that should work does work with ALL parts present and accounted for.

You can find good runners/riders for between $800 and $1500 with the upper end being full of new parts.

The 200X has way more used part availability than just about every Honda ATC or any other brand for that matter except the third gen 250R IMO.

200X also has NUMEROUS aftermarket performance part availability so you can definitely wake up this little mill and double the factory power if you don't mind spending the $$

110 you will get bored with. For the asking price, you can`t spend much more than 300-400 on it before you outspend its market value at the $500 asking price. I have never seen an 84 110 fetch more than $1000 so when you got five in it already, you aint got much room for resale profit. If you were buying it to fix up and ride, fine, but if you`re buying it to flip, beware.

As for Hondas, there are only a few models with excellent resale value.....BR250, 85-86 250R, first gen ATC90, Xmas 110, 350X......the regular 110 and 200X don`t have huge resale values. In most cases a machine that "needs a few things" costs more than what it`s worth before its all said and done. Out of all three of my 200Xs, only ONE could I make any profit on. I spent a little more than they are worth fixing them up but I don`t care much as I got some nice reliable machines.

skip the 110 and keep looking for a better 200X deal....that's my opinion

Johnny1996
06-15-2015, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the response, ironchop. I have seen a couple great condition 200x's for closer to $1500, so it's certainly possible for me to find one for that much, provided the values don't rise right as I'm about to buy one. I do want a 250r, but that's being set aside until I'm confident enough that I'll be able to handle the power. As with installing aftermarket parts on a 200x that I might own, I'd probably just keep the machine original as I bought it save for a thumb throttle if it doesn't already have one, and maybe add a cargo rack.

The 110 was originally listed for $700 about a month ago, so in this case $500 is an at least relatively somewhat good price. And I don't suppose that just keeping the trike for riding around the house would be all that bad of an option, but I'd still much rather have a 200x. I could even use the 110 just around the house and the 200x for the actual trails, but that's also something to consider more.

sledcrazyinCT
06-15-2015, 11:07 PM
Sounds to me like being your first trike the 110 will give you plenty of fun to fix/ride/learn. Show up in the minivan with $350 and see if he bites.

BTW welcome to the boards, and what's the scoop on your avatar?

Jmoozy27
06-15-2015, 11:42 PM
My first trike was a 110 and I never got bored with it. But then again I was only 8 years old. :wondering

Get the X, or an auto X... 200cc of four stroke beef is perfect for a beginner.

knappyfeet
06-16-2015, 12:20 AM
Until recently the only bike I ever ridden was a 110. I know it has no suspension but the balloon tires....to me......are some of the funnest, off road antics you might ever expereince. The hopping and ballooning will have your face grinning from ear to ear......as long as you approach it with safety in mind. I had an old Honda Odyssey that would balloon like crazy but it had a roll bar (kinda).

With that said my 350X was a beast. The 85 200x will be very pleasing. Good suspension and a surprisingly fast motor. The 86 200X is superior to its earlier predecessor in almost every aspect....including the price for a nice example.

When at the desert,with LTZ400s and 350Xs and 200xs and banshees and the like....the one bike that seems to be constantly used is that underpowered, slow, no suspension, balloon tired 110...always with a smile on the rider.

keister
06-16-2015, 01:54 PM
I was just on Craigslist yesterday and people are asking ridiculous prices right now. Please be aware that they will not get asking price.
Take this ATC200, for instance:
http://youngstown.craigslist.org/mcy/5065100077.html
$1000 would be very very top dollar he might get for it.
As for the $5000 250R, it is worth in the neighborhood of $3K.
My point is, there aren't many 200Xs worth $2000. A VERY nice 84 model should go for $1500 tops.
An '84 200X should be priced in the $800-1200 range, if it is nice and only if it runs.

Ironchop gave you some good advice above, be careful and don't get fooled.
And please, don't go by the prices they are currently asking on Pittsburgh Craigslist.

Johnny1996
06-16-2015, 04:23 PM
sledcrazyinCT, I was thinking about offering him $400 cash but $350 is even better since I'll be saving $50. :lol:

My avatar just shows that I'm a car guy, but I'm sure I'll change it once I have a trike and a truck.

Jmoozy27, yeah its hard to get bored with a trike or something like that at that age. The 200x should be a lifetime of fun.

knappyfeet, it sounds like those 110s are a rubber ball on wheels. Speaking of the Odyssey, there was one for $3500 for sale last month but it's over budget (I use "budget" loosely) and I had no way to get it home since its bigger than a trike. As for the 200x, it sounds like the '86 would be my better option in my opinion.

keister, part of why I signed up here was to ask if a certain Craigslist price was an actual good price since things on Craigslist aren't always true and correct. I'm comfortable paying up to $1800 for a 200x, thought not as comfortable as paying $1500.

knappyfeet
06-16-2015, 04:28 PM
I was just on Craigslist yesterday and people are asking ridiculous prices right now. Please be aware that they will not get asking price.
Take this ATC200, for instance:
http://youngstown.craigslist.org/mcy/5065100077.html

Yea that's probably a typo.

Johnny1996
06-17-2015, 07:44 PM
Well guys, I've just been informed that I don't have permission to haul a trike in the back of the family minivan since the title isn't in my name, therefore not making it my van. I even suggested that I could lay a tarp down but that didn't help. So now with that being said, it's going to be truck first, then trike. Or I could probably borrow someone's truck but I don't know who all has a truck that actually drives rather than sits in the yard all week long. And besides, that gives me more time to decide on what kind of trike I really want anyway, so it's fine by me.

EDIT: I've just now been infored that this is no longer the case.

Johnny1996
06-20-2015, 07:50 PM
Alright so I have somewhat good news: I found a 250sx for sale locally (unknown year), in fair condition but "runs great" for $500. I found it on Craigslist and the seller has several other trikes for sale as well. 1 125M, 2 200S's, 1 base 200 and the 250sx (If I'm reading and understanding his post correctly). He doesn't have any pics of the 250sx posted, so I emailed him and asked for pics. If I like what I see in the pics, then I'm gonna buy the trike (again, the 250sx). There is however a small problem: to fit the machine in the van, I'll have to remove the front wheel. That's nothing however, at least not yet, as I have tools. If the seller allows me to remove the front wheel on his property, then the trike is coming home with me. So in a nutshell, I'm gonna do everything I can to bring home the 250sx. Now, however, a question - What is a good price to try to get for the machine (assuming that the seller is willing to negotiate)? I'll be paying in cash if that adds anything. Thanks in advance.

fieldy
06-20-2015, 09:42 PM
Look at eBay to get an idea of those prices on parts you will need to replace on the sx.There will be a lot of maintenance to do on a $500 trike. Parts availability is what i'd be concerned about on a rider. If the motor sounds good and nothing looks bent, might be worth the $500 for sure, but start lower. Something like an 85 200x have more aftermarket performance parts available. Might find a 200x in real good shape for that money if you keep looking.A Honda 250 sx would make a great camping/trail trike. If you know someone with a pickup, see if they would pick it up with you for some gas money and buy a pizza on the way home! I haven't read this whole thread but good luck on the choice you make.

Johnny1996
06-20-2015, 10:01 PM
Look at eBay to get an idea of those prices on parts you will need to replace on the sx.There will be a lot of maintenance to do on a $500 trike. Parts availability is what i'd be concerned about on a rider. If the motor sounds good and nothing looks bent, might be worth the $500 for sure, but start lower. Something like an 85 200x have more aftermarket performance parts available. Might find a 200x in real good shape for that money if you keep looking.A Honda 250 sx would make a great camping/trail trike. If you know someone with a pickup, see if they would pick it up with you for some gas money and buy a pizza on the way home! I haven't read this whole thread but good luck on the choice you make.

I appreciate the response. So far the only 200x's I've seen for that little amount of money are in terrible condition, both in terms of engine and cosmetics. Not really a good sign, but I've seen a great condition 200x for $750, though that was several months ago. And it even had a small about of aftermarket parts installed, but there is hope.

EDIT: So I got a response to my email I sent the 250sx seller. His response was "has electric start no battery, kick start only." Considering that I asked for pics and didn't even ask about the start type, and that apparently the machine has been sold, I'm not dealing with this guy again.

Johnny1996
06-21-2015, 09:31 PM
To whom it may concern: The same ATC 110 that I mentioned in the OP is still for sale and still for $500. I emailed him earlier asking if the trike ran and rode and he said that it starts up on first pull every time. I want to make him an offer, and I'm thinking $400 cash. I'm a tall guy, so I might not fit on it too well since the 110 was one of the smaller models, but if I fit well on it, then I'm buying it. And obviously if it's in good enough condition, I'm buying it. Unless of course something better comes up.

And please correct if I'm wrong, but I should be able to get a good test on how I'll fit on it if I look at seat height alone?

knappyfeet
06-21-2015, 11:16 PM
If your too tall then it will be a tick small but still fun as heck. If your tall your probably going to make anything look small. I'm 6 ft so I fit fairly well an anything....even the 110.

onformula1
06-21-2015, 11:30 PM
Here's some great trikes for you-

1983-85 Honda 200X owned one, raced one had tons of fun. Great trike
Any Yamaha 225DX my brother owned one, not a good race trike. Great trike for everything else.
1986-87 Honda 200X rarer than the earlier models, but a bit improved. Harder to find parts for even harder to find hop-up parts then the earlier models.
Any Honda 250SX never owned one, rare in the area I grew up. Anyone I talked to think they are great.

Johnny1996
06-22-2015, 01:04 AM
I'm 6 feet tall as well, knappyfeet. The 110's seat height cones up to between my thighs and knees. At least it'll be easy to get on to. :lol:

And onformula1, if I don't get the 110 then I'm going to be buying one of those trikes, but the 225DX is pretty rare in my area, so I'm probably gonna have a Honda.

onformula1
06-22-2015, 01:39 AM
I'm 6 feet tall as well, knappyfeet. The 110's seat height cones up to between my thighs and knees. At least it'll be easy to get on to. :lol:

And onformula1, if I don't get the 110 then I'm going to be buying one of those trikes, but the 225DX is pretty rare in my area, so I'm probably gonna have a Honda.

Keep in mind- whatever you buy, there are a ton of guys/gals on this board that have- IMHO hold more knowledge on 3 wheelers than any place in the world!!!

Help, if needed will not be a problem with any trike.

KevinJ97
06-22-2015, 06:35 AM
Hey i justt wanna say trying to move a 250sx with a flat or no tire is a complete bisnitch. Saying it ways about 350lbs if i remember correctly. Make sure to have good helping getting it in and out.

Johnny1996
06-22-2015, 02:49 PM
onformula1, that's pretty much the same thing slashfan said when he was trying to get me on this forum. I'm glad I did, and I'm probably going to keep coming back.

KevinJ97, hey if it was easy it wouldn't be as fulfilling bringing one home I guess.

Johnny1996
06-23-2015, 02:04 PM
Well I have some news:

I just found a recently restored '85 200x for sale for $1500. It comes with lots of extra parts, such as a frame and two gas tanks. The trike has 250r rims (which look really nice on it) and some other non 200x parts on it. The machine has a title. I've already emailed the guy, so this could mean that my trike search is over. Any questions just go right ahead and ask.

thehorse13
06-23-2015, 03:11 PM
Well I have some news:

I just found a recently restored '85 200x for sale for $1500. It comes with lots of extra parts, such as a frame and two gas tanks. The trike has 250r rims (which look really nice on it) and some other non 200x parts on it. The machine has a title. I've already emailed the guy, so this could mean that my trike search is over. Any questions just go right ahead and ask.

Pictures of your purchase would be cool. Good luck. I hope you found the right trike for you.

Johnny1996
06-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Pictures of your purchase would be cool. Good luck. I hope you found the right trike for you.

Thanks. I dont yet have the trike or even a response from the seller (it's been 2 hours) but I'll have pics posted once I get one, 200x or otherwise.

EDIT: Almost an hour later, I finally got a response. I offered him $1200 for just the complete machine alone, and he said he'll take it, so guess where this is going? That's right, I'm going to be the owner of an '85 200x come Saturday.

gearhead9056
06-24-2015, 12:25 AM
Nice score, 1200 would be a decent price around my area in good shape. Be sure to get up some pics when you get it.

Johnny1996
07-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Well I have an update on my trike search, but it's not one that people are going to want to hear. Long story short, something absolutely ridiculous got in the way of buying the 200x, and I had to call it off. And it's to the point where I'd just be better off by not even worrying about buying any trike for the foreseeable future, so I'm done. I've had enough.

And with that, to save myself from feeling unwelcome here in the long run and leaving like what happened at the other place, I'm leaving for now. Goodbye.

ironchop
07-01-2015, 05:47 PM
My WTF meter just pegged

Did I miss something?

onformula1
07-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Me too, what was that?

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

Jmoozy27
07-03-2015, 02:32 PM
Kids these days trip me out. It's one extreme to another. Hope you find yourself buddy.

knappyfeet
07-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Well I hope all is well.