PDA

View Full Version : YTM 225dx Timing Problem

Pellethuntr
06-17-2015, 08:43 AM
Hi guys, I started up my trike the other day and it would not idle. I found that to be odd as it always idles perfectly. I proceeded to ride a couple laps around the yard and found that 4-5 gear were slugish and I could smell raw fuel from the exhaust. I pulled back into the garage and when I put it in neutral I could here a bit of a clanking noise coming from the timing chain area. I adjusted the cam chain tensioner in a half a turn at a time until it had stopped the pin from moving and it did not make any difference.

Can I assume that my timing chain is stretched out? What about the tensioners themselves, is it possible that they are shot and I need new ones?

Any thoughts would be great!

Pellethuntr
06-17-2015, 06:32 PM
I took the cam cover off tonight and reset the chain tension to stock specs. The chain is plenty tight with barely enough slack to feel movement.

Now I have no idea what the problem is. Any thoughts?

It feels like the "rattling" noise is coming from lower down the cam chain somewhere in the case.

Yamawheeler
06-17-2015, 09:45 PM
Rattling or slapping? In my experience lower engine noise. rattling usually is a skirt broke off piston and or crank bearing let go. Slapping piston rings. Will smoke though. Or else it could be intake/exhaust valves/lifters. Need to adjust to specs. Can send video of lifters ticking. Mine does have to torque to spec. Have ridden a while like this and it's fine. Don't do that though. I have another engine for it in shop. Adjust lifters and valves asap easy to do

Pellethuntr
06-18-2015, 01:12 PM
Just checked valve clearance and everything is in spec.

It is deffinitely a consistent rattling not a slapping.

I am starting to think it may be a crank bearing as well, but it doesn't seem like a crank bearing would cause it to loose power and not idle?

What is the best way to test to see if the crank bearing has slop?

I hadn't thought of a broken piston skirt thanks for the info.

Yamawheeler
06-18-2015, 06:03 PM
You carb is set right with idle screw? What about your recoil? If it engages it sounds like rattling.

Pellethuntr
06-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Carb is set right, I have been running this for almost a year without a single problem. Up until a couple days ago it started first try no choke and idled perfectly.

The part I don't get is the loss of power and the raw fuel smell from the exhaust.

Both of those seem like a timing or a valve issue but everything seems to check out.

Yamawheeler
06-24-2015, 12:47 AM
If it has a fuel smell from exhaust it's burning way to lean. Jets do wear out so do other components. Loss of power is usually compression loss. /piston problems. Or else clutch problems. Rarely transmission from my knowledge.

muthey
06-24-2015, 11:00 AM
pull the drain plug from your air box and leave the fuel on for a bit, if you start to see fuel flowing out of your air box the the o-ring on your float needle seat is worn out. Which will cause loss of power and erratic idle. Also it will cause fuel to run into your bottom end and thin your oil allowing motor noise. Your tensioner should be the spring loaded self adjusting which is what is on the 225, unless someone changed it to the 200 style which is adjustable.