PDA

View Full Version : 250R Gas Tank Work

markturbo
06-17-2015, 10:52 AM
Did some work on my gas tank, it was painted at some point and then someone sanded off the paint. There was heavy sanding marks in the plastic that I removed by wet sanding with 800 grit and 1000 grit. I followed that with 3 stages of buffing compound and a coat of wax.

Right now I've only done the main parts of the tank, I needed to see some shine on it for motivation to finish the rest of the tank where the shrouds will mount.

Here's what I have so far...

A quick little jig to hold the tank to make it easier to work on. This was after the work was done, but poor lighting in my shed doesnt really show.

And some of the product used, the stuff in the unmarked bottle is a heavier cutting polish i just dropped the original bottle and cracked it.

ironchop
06-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Awesome work.

you should think about doing the whole build in this one thread. Like a One-stop shop for the rest of us.

looking forward to more updates as they come.

Looks fantastic so far

Mr. Clean
06-17-2015, 01:26 PM
Here's what I have so far...

Looks GREAT to me, not sure you have much more to do.

atc007
06-17-2015, 02:57 PM
Again, very little splatter lol! Great job, Thanx for sharing!

bkm
06-17-2015, 03:15 PM
It's nice to finally see someone take the area around the filler neck seriously. Great job!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Mr. Clean
06-17-2015, 08:51 PM
It's nice to finally see someone take the area around the filler neck seriously. Great job!

HOLY CHIT MAN.....I laughed so loud at work the folks around me in the cubicle farm were all like are you OKAY......No way I could ever explain it to them......THANKS for the mid day laugh!!!!

bkm
06-17-2015, 08:54 PM
Haha, it never gets old. I giggled like a little girl while writing it.lol

Markturbo, just so you're not wondering what the hell is going on, this is a little running joke I've been having with Mr. Clean for several years now. Great job on your tank.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

markturbo
06-18-2015, 07:41 AM
lol i was wondering what was going on. Im going to pick up my new shrouds, rear fender this weekend, air box, and rear brakes this weekend. I think I have everything to finish the bike except a headlight, still trying to find a nice 350X headlight.