PDA

View Full Version : New Member with Mid-life crisis CHECKING IN! :-)

themotoviking
06-25-2015, 05:40 PM
Hye guys.

So I used to ride like it was a religion. every weekend. One of my fondest moments in time was my 1985 Honda 250SX Out of all the machine I think that was my favorite. I got out of it and after 20 years of trucks and Jeeps I got back into bikes with a XR650L and quickly found a 88 fourtrax 300 and then on a complete fluke scored a (non running) '85 250SX for $100. I am 40yrs old and I think this has completed my mid life crisis circle!

I am thinking of doing a semi restoration of it and bring it back to its former glory with some updates.

Cheers!

The machine!

atc007
06-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Welcome,and that tank is MINT.

themotoviking
06-25-2015, 05:48 PM
Well, it looks mint on the outside but the inside is something nasty. It looks like stalactites. Maybe a failed attempt of a tank coating but nothing is taking it off. The inside kind of looks like this image below

themotoviking
06-25-2015, 05:53 PM
I am hoping to find info on a couple things.

1 Changing the rear wheels to the newer wheels with the acorn nuts and going to a 9 or 10" wheel.

2 change the front over to a 200X so I can get the skinnier wheel and disc brakes.

atc007
06-25-2015, 06:09 PM
The search should show you all sorts of results for both :)

themotoviking
06-25-2015, 06:59 PM
Yeah I plan to, just listing what I am mainly am looking for. Right now its sitting and I aint doing squat to it until I have a title in hand. All I got was a bill of sale so I started the bonded title process. I should have one in about a week or two. Everything else checks out. Once that happens its all elbows deep diggin' into this thing.

YTZ drew
06-25-2015, 09:43 PM
Welcome to the site, and welcome back to the sport! I'm sure you'll have a good time restoring that score of yours.

dabody69
07-04-2015, 01:21 PM
Well, it looks mint on the outside but the inside is something nasty. It looks like stalactites. Maybe a failed attempt of a tank coating but nothing is taking it off. The inside kind of looks like this image below

Get a box of 1 inch roofing nails, pour those into the gas tank, cover gas tank filler neck with tape and shake like crazy, all that stuff will come out

ps2fixer
07-06-2015, 10:34 PM
Nice find, looks to be a really good starting point. If you search around, there are posts on how to revive those fenders, lots of sanding and work but in the end they will look nice and shiny and fresh assuming the sun rot hasn't sank in too far.

The rear rack alone was well worth the price, you could resell it and have $0 into initial cost, I KNOW there are people on here that would love the rack + mounts for $100 :). Keep us posted on the title status and hopefully it has the same problem 90% of the other trikes have after sitting.... dirty gas tank and dirty carb.

There are free downloadable service manuals as well, just have to search around for them as I don't have the link on hand any more (I downloaded a copy of them all)

themotoviking
07-12-2015, 06:48 PM
Title status is clear. Its 100% mine! YEAH BABY!

I will be starting a build page on it here soon so you can see the progress.

The tank is shot. its got pinhole on the bottom and a pin hole up top left. I am setting it off to the side for now and am going to use a Clarke tank for now.

JacobMonster
07-12-2015, 11:35 PM
Sweet find bud. Glad you could get back into the sport and find a good machine to start working on. Can't wait to see it when it's finished.

themotoviking
07-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Sweet find bud. Glad you could get back into the sport and find a good machine to start working on. Can't wait to see it when it's finished.

I researched quite a bit here and got a lot of ideas from members. So not much of this build is original but it will a hell of a lot of fun!

I started a build thread here
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/175149-1985-250SX-Resurrection

coolpool
07-13-2015, 09:06 AM
Great machine at an awaesome price! Braze up the pinholes and re-coat the tank properly. I lean toward POR-15 but there's other products folks have had success with, Kreem, Red-Koat. Preparation is the key.