PDA

View Full Version : Dual sport dirtbike help....?

Bigredrocket
06-28-2015, 12:43 AM
I know this is a three wheeler forum and with all do respect I do appreciate andove three wheelers more. I have two of them and in love. But for a daily driver in thinking about getting a honda crf250l. It's 70 mpg fuel injected and liquid cooled. I refuse to get anything not honda. And the honda xr650 that's a little faster and obviously bigger is only carburated and air cooled. So for a daily the 250 Id the right pick. But it tops out at 85 and the torque isn't to high. Any body know any mods for t performance wise. Or can point me in the right directoon. And do at say the sear engine or Google because I have been researching. No smart*** answers please. Just useful help. Thankyou 3ww!

barnett468
06-28-2015, 01:35 AM
I know this is a three wheeler forum and with all do respect I do appreciate andove three wheelers more. I have two of them and in love. But for a daily driver in thinking about getting a honda crf250l. It's 70 mpg fuel injected and liquid cooled. I refuse to get anything not honda. And the honda xr650 that's a little faster and obviously bigger is only carburated and air cooled. So for a daily the 250 Id the right pick. But it tops out at 85 and the torque isn't to high. Any body know any mods for t performance wise. Or can point me in the right directoon. And do at say the sear engine or Google because I have been researching. No smart*** answers please. Just useful help. Thankyou 3ww!

they might move your thread to another area . . anyway...are you saying you want to buy a new CRF250L and you want to modify it so it has more power?

if so, do you want more top end or more bottom end?

Bigredrocket
06-28-2015, 02:25 AM
New or used. But I just want more torque honestly Inprobably won't be doing faster then Sround 80 or 90 but I do want to be able to get up to that speed faster.

onformula1
06-28-2015, 02:53 AM
IMHO I prefer a minimum of 400cc for the street, 500cc to 650cc is better, the XR650L or comparable bike will destroy a 250 on the street, which is why you see 750cc-1000cc plus street bikes, the XR650L has a carb and is air cooled, but it is a fantastic bike!

There's no replacement for displacement, especially on the street.

barnett468
06-28-2015, 03:02 AM
New or used. But I just want more torque honestly Inprobably won't be doing faster then Sround 80 or 90 but I do want to be able to get up to that speed faster.

ok, well the only way to really get more bottom power AND more rpm would be to increase the compression and possibly modify the timing curve and possibly run a bigger throttle body and modify the fuel ratio, sooo.

heres what i have so far but there's more.

install a compete new exhaust system and a fuel curve modifier . . the db [noise] reducers will kill a little top end power but you can test it with and without one.

one of the options i would consider in addition to the two below is installing around a 2 tooth bigger rear sprocket . . this will reduce top speed but the exhaust and fuel mod will allow it to rev a little more which will bring the top speed back up to stock and it will likely wheelie with all three mods.

you will also loose a whopping 8 - 9 lbs with any of the systems which is huge.

fmf power bomb full exhaust . . with and without db [noise] reducer . . ride test is without noise reducer . . I like this, it sounds like a friggen Ferrari.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb7HzkczVP8

Big gun slip on silencer, add 94 db vortex insert, add big gun header

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgQ-NRpEaYg

yoshimura full system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xicXjFSuvK0

leo vince muffler only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVpcmvJVwCU

big gun fuel injection modifier

http://biggunpowerbox.com/viewproduct.asp?custnumber=40-R64B

http://biggunpowerbox.com/

http://www.motoparthub.com/40_R64_BIG_GUN_Tfi_Crf250l_1314?src=Google&gclid=CNzBhYPZscYCFVg8gQodrLcB-Q

barnett468
06-28-2015, 03:14 AM

you do know that the top speed of that bike in stock form is right at 75 mph don't you.

leadhead711
06-28-2015, 07:53 AM
iv got a 98 yamaha xt225...it is fine for 2 lane roads just tooling around...it is absolutley to small for bigger faster roads....top speed is about 75mph but that is all it wants but about 55-60 mph is what it likes...not near enough power to get out of the way if need be..if your gonna ride big roads you would do better by getting the bigger bike

F3joel
06-28-2015, 08:54 AM
I am a Honda guy myself, but in the 250 dual sport world Yamaha WR250R is where it's at.
It would take a lot of money to get the CRF250L to the Yamaha's stock performance.

onformula1
06-28-2015, 07:19 PM
I am a Honda guy myself, but in the 250 dual sport world Yamaha WR250R is where it's at.
It would take a lot of money to get the CRF250L to the Yamaha's stock performance.
You are dead on.
The Yamaha will wax the Honda, sadly

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

BigRedGrizzly
06-28-2015, 08:38 PM
I ride this 2010 WR250R. I have a megabomb header, fmf pipe, and the FMF power commander to adj the intake. It rips pretty good with those mods. Not getting 70 MPG anymore but it's a blast to ride.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/28/cae99e3694ef2c2f4e27c7729bf830f2.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/28/4969cd5ebbee9bf4197910014ef1ba8b.jpg

Jmoozy27
06-30-2015, 12:01 AM
Nice bike Daryl, looks fast!!!

onformula1
06-30-2015, 12:07 AM
Wow!, do you ride that bike? It's mint.

Very clean, sweet bike.

BigRedGrizzly
06-30-2015, 11:10 PM
I do ride it to work a lot. Fortunately, my commute is pretty short and I don't have to travel on any highways. Very fun to ride.

knappyfeet
07-01-2015, 12:15 AM

Okay no smart a## answers....just blunt answers.

You should consider yourself fortunate you have a 250cc machine capable of 85mph. Not to long ago that was unheard of. One of the reasons motorcycle manufacturers utilize EFI is due to the high performance nature of their machines. It allows them to get more HP and still oblige to federal emission and noise standards and allows their high performance machines to be user friendly....with predictable fuel and ignition mapping. External exhaust and intake mods are safe.

Not enough torque? That's because it's a 250. More torque than a 125 but not as much as a 400.

Depending on your weight, riding style, riding habbits, etc.......your safest bet is experimenting with your final drive ratios. It might take some time to iron out but it's worth it.

My Suzuki DR650 will get nearly 60 mpg riding 80 mph on the freeway all day long with my 260 lb. frame. The old drz400 a tick more. Your bike is very capable off road....way more than my 650 but I appreciate the torque. It's air cooled and carburated. Last ride to Joshua Tree was a little worse on fuel.

just my thoughts.

Bigredrocket
07-04-2015, 01:03 AM
The only reason I want the crf250l instead of the xr650l is because it's fuel injected liquid cooled and gets 70 mpg. And I will be driving it to work through portland and don't want to get caught in traffic with the air cooled. And believe me I do want nore speed. But idk what to do guys. I don't really want any thig other then a honda. So should I try to add horse power to the 250 or just throw a oil cooler and stuff on the air cooled 650 or what!?

barnett468
07-04-2015, 01:10 AM
The speed limit is 65 . . where do you plan to go 80 mph?

you will NOT get 70 mpg if you modify it . . it takes fuel to make horsepower so what you want is absolutely impossible to achieve.

if you want more top speed then try a 2 tooth smaller rear sprocket but the acceleration will be slightly slower.

air cooled bikes are fine in traffic if properly tuned and not bored our .300" over stock etc.

knappyfeet
07-04-2015, 01:58 AM
You seem to like the 250.......... I would just get that. You like Honda......stay with Honda. It has the efi and water cooling you like so its a great choice. Just live with the fact it's a 250. A 250 single four stroke that goes 85.......very impressive. I would do an exhaust and a k&n and maybe final drive adjustments. I would not go into the motor for any modification.

dgm635csi
07-07-2015, 11:34 PM
I would also reinforce the idea that an air cooled carbureted bike will do just fine in traffic if its tuned correctly. My personal impressions of the new 250l are a bit biased since I own and have ridden many other "dual sport" bikes. My personal 4 stroke dual sport is a 1986 xr600r. Its barely street legal, but its an absolute riot to ride. Its mostly stock, but its got a full exhaust with Uni filter, and has been jetted appropriately. It crawls about 5mph in 1st gear at idle, but will also go nearly 90mph (gearing and rpm limited), and get there in a hurry. These bikes have nearly 12 inches of suspension travel front and rear and are built to a much higher standard of durability than most modern bikes. It cruises comfortably at about 55, but taller gearing would be in order for more pavement use.

If your serious about off-roading at any point with your dual sport, you'll want to find a "dirt bike" with a license plate. I think the suspension on the 250l leaves a lot to be desired. I also think the bike will be a bit underpowered for street use. Its rated at 22hp at a lofty 8500rpm, and weighs 320 pounds. For comparison, my dinosaur xr600r weighs 307 pounds with 3 gallons of fuel, and churns out about 50hp @ 6000rpm. I'm not advocating getting a big monster desert race bike, but there are other bikes that you may find are much lighter, with better suspension and more power that will still get good fuel economy. My XR gets about 40-45mpg no matter how I ride it, but I'm usually getting pretty tired by the time I have to switch to reserve. Other bikes I think you should check out are; Honda xr400r or xr600r if you see a nice one with a license plate. Honda xr650r with a license plate (hard to find). Honda xr650l if street use is more likely than off road. Susuki DRZ400. Yamaha wr250 if you really think a 250 is for you.

atctim
07-08-2015, 10:14 AM
Just an FYI - but a liquid cooled bike can over heat just as well as an air cooled bike. I have an XR650L and it is awesome on the street. Being caught in traffic is not a big deal - shut your motor off until traffic moves. It is my personal opinion that the 250 would be a poor choice for a daily street ride. The 650 has excellent street manners and has tons of torque. The 250 would be better in the woods and tight stuff - but it sounds like you are looking for a commuter. You really can not go wrong with the 650. I rode mine about 50 / 50 (dirt street) for the past 6 years and loved it. I recently upgraded (for dirt) and bought a KTM350EXC-F (street legal). It is worlds better in the woods than the 650, but every time I am on the street, I miss my 650. I've never ridden another dual sport with the street manners of a XR650L.