PDA

View Full Version : My first begging question! Big red neutral and reverse lights not working...

Dony
07-03-2015, 07:41 AM
Hi All.
Looking forward to getting to know a few of you here.
Anyway this is my first cry for help!

Neither reverse or neutral indicator bulbs are illuminating and I'd really like to get them working.
This is as far as I got..
Removed both bulbs from their housing and tested them.
Neither are blown.

So before I start pulling stuff apart and loosening unnecessary bolts/screws I thought I'd ask for some help or pointers to steer me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance.

atc007
07-03-2015, 08:20 AM
Most likely the two rubber capped leads are pulled off the N and R sensors in behind your right foot peg/bottom of clutch cover. From the factory,, there is a tin cover, it gets folded down by brush and debris,or humans. Then the leads get pulled off. If this is your problem, take pliers and very carefully pinch the leads tighter to hold onto the N and R sensors tighter. This will most likely fix you, if not, follow the wires up and around the back of the engine until you reach the trouble point.

hublake
07-03-2015, 10:34 AM
If you find the problem as mentioned in the above post and are missing the cover atc007 mentions, I have one you can have if you want it.

Dony
07-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Thanks for that.
No, all that you've mentioned seem to be fine.
The little tin plate wasn't bent and the connections seemed good and tight.

Am I correct in assuming that the N&R terminals on the actual engine should have power at them when neutral and reverse are engaged? (when ignition is on)
If this is the case my little test light isn't lighting at either one.

danbur55
07-03-2015, 12:43 PM
no sir they will create the ground side of the circuit
Thanks for that.
No, all that you've mentioned seem to be fine.
The little tin plate wasn't bent and the connections seemed good and tight.

Am I correct in assuming that the N&R terminals on the actual engine should have power at them when neutral and reverse are engaged? (when ignition is on)
If this is the case my little test light isn't lighting at either one.

Dony
07-03-2015, 01:04 PM
Oh ok.
There isn't power at the push on plug either.
So just work my way up the back of engine as atc007 mentioned till I come across the problem?

Flyingw
07-03-2015, 03:39 PM
The neutral system has pos batt power sitting at the light and starter solenoid all the time. The switch on the clutch cover provides a ground to complete the circuit enabling the starter solenoid and turning on the light when in neutral. The rev circuit works very much the same way except it turns on just the light. You can take the plug(s) off the clutch cover and ground the plug and that should turn on the light(s). That will tell you if the wiring between the plug, light(s) and starter solenoid is good. The tips of the switches in the cover do wear out so if the wiring checks out then the switches would be suspect.

Dony
07-18-2015, 08:06 AM
Just got back to having another go at fixing this yesterday.
Found the problem.
It turned out to be a loose connecter block under the headlight where the fuses are.
just clicked it shut and then both lights illuminated.
Turned out to be something pretty simple but learned a lot about the trike getting there.
Thanks guys.