PDA

View Full Version : Hi! 1984 Big Red Rider (with a brake question)

mendoAu
07-03-2015, 12:46 PM
Well, first I'd like to compliment the info this site has. I've done a little searching but still have a problem changing my back brake pads. I have a 84 shaft drive 200es. I removed the right rear tire, removed the brake cables, removed the six bolts holding the hub (?) and seperated the hub. It all went well until it came into contact with the large axle bolt and won't come off any further. I don't want to use a BIGGER HAMMER, ha! Any advice what I need to do at this point?

BarnBoy
07-06-2015, 08:54 AM
I did the brakes on a 1983 200e Big Red. I think that on most of those ATC's the rear brake setup was quite similar. I just used an adjustable wrench and a regular hammer (16 or 22 oz I think). I put the wrench on and whacked the end a few times and it came off fairly easily. Another trick that might work is to mix Acetone and Diesel fuel together to use for penetrating oil. Basically the Acetone thins the Diesel out so it is extremely thin, making it able to penetrate very well. Automatic tranny fluid instead of Diesel will work also, but Diesel penetrates quicker and better. Just make sure it is stored in a HDPE (it will say on the bottom) or metal jug with a good seal so the Acetone does not evaporate. I used that on some rear axle holder nuts on my 200m and it loosened it up really well. Let it sit for about 30 mins and try it.

mendoAu
07-06-2015, 12:20 PM
I found a diagram of the brake assembly ( http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1984-honda-atc200es/o/m1891#sch5123 ) and have concluded that the two large axle nuts will have to be removed. I'd read somewhere not to remove those bolts but kinda think they were referring to a different unit. Anyhow, will lube those bolts and let it sit for awhile to penetrate. Thanks for the reply and any further tips.

BarnBoy
07-07-2015, 07:41 AM
Sorry, I did not mention this but in order for the mixture to work, you must mix equal amounts of Acetone and Diesel fuel.