PDA

View Full Version : Best way to wheelie?

Bigredrocket
07-04-2015, 01:39 AM
I have an 85 honda 250r atc that's faster then all get out. I have a bald set of tires for drifting in the gravel but I wanna try to wheelie. I have a brand new set of bobby tires I'll throw on for it, but what's the best or easiest way. Dumping the clutch or Judy bouncing the front end or what? I've never wheelies before. Exocet for a box bike. Nothing like a three wheeler. So any advice and tips will help. Plan on trying tomorrow

onformula1
07-04-2015, 01:58 AM
First be careful until you get the hang of it.

A good running 250r with proper traction can wheelie no problem, slip the clutch and get it on the pipe if needed.

More throttle to bring the front higher, tap or stab the rear brake to drop the front end, with good balance or proper adjustments you can ride a wheelie for miles.

Leaning left or right helps to "steer" the trike.

Some guys can ride a wheelie with very little corrections forever.

Bigredrocket
07-04-2015, 02:04 AM
Yeah I think if I put my new tires on and just dump the clutch a little and hit the throttle I feelnliek the front end should lift up. It deffinitely runs right with no issues. So it should work. I think jays having the balls to do it is the hardest part haha

onformula1
07-04-2015, 02:07 AM
Start with no dumping of the clutch, it will lift naturally in 2nd or 3rd gear, that's why they make longer swing arms. :lol:

Be careful, Please.

barnett468
07-04-2015, 03:06 AM
If you are going to try wheelies no matter what, one way is to try the method below.

adjust your rear brake up because you will need it when you start to go over backwards.

sit as far back on the seat as you can . . it will get more traction that way and the front will lift easier with less power because it will be lighter with your weight near the back plus it will be easier to balance.

lean back a little and roll the gas on carefully in second gear from around 10 mph and not much faster . . you do not want the engine doing a lot of revs . . you also do not want to be going 30 mph when you fall off the back . . falling off at 15 mph hurts a lot less.

repeat the process the EXACT same way every time but roll the gas on a little farther and/or faster every time until the front comes up.

as soon as it comes up, shut the gas off and hit the rear brake . . this will get you used to hitting the rear brake because it is the only thing that will keep you from going over backwards if the front gets too high.

i would practice the brake test at least 10 times because you still have the rest of your life to wheelie.

wear shoulder pads for when you inevitably fall off the back.

make sure your health insurance is paid up.

take a strong friend with you so they can take photos for you to post here for us and also so they can pick you up and put up in the truck after it spits you off the back.

"NO WARRANTEES OR GUARANTEES EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED"

Bigredrocket
07-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Haha thanks for the info guys. That actualy helps a lot. We will see what happens and I'll post some pictures!

thehorse13
07-04-2015, 11:08 AM
If the trike is running properly, there is no need to dump the clutch. Use the advice that barnett468 provided and you'll be fine. You can also watch a few youtube videos if you're having issues.

ps2fixer
07-04-2015, 04:40 PM
I agree, the 250r should have plenty of power to wheelie w\o dumping the clutch, the only machines I know of that needs that trick is the 250 big red (heavy machine), 250sx sometimes, and it seems the 200x from the little experience I had with them. Pretty much all other machines you can just give it the gas to wheelie.

I haven't done a whole lot on a 250r, but I'd say a 4 stroke is more controllable, if you have something 4 stroke, even a small machine, it might be good to learn on that first, then move your way up to the 2 stroke. Seems the 350x is the king of wheelie in any gear, and the atc70 is the king for easiest to maintain the wheelie since the machine is so light and small vs the body on it :).

Just to point out, while you're learning you will feel like it is flipping over, depending where your body is, it adjusts the balance point. A lot of people wheelie with their right knee on the seat and pull back and lean back while wheeling, and if things go too far, they lean forward. With that setup, the rear brakes are nearly impossible to hit. Once you learn the balance point, you can get it to the balance point, and feather the gas to keep it close.

Good luck and lets see some pics!

Bigredrocket
07-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Plans changed so I'm not going riding until tomorrow but I'll be sure to post pictures. I ask have a four stroke 83 honda 200 atc but it doesn't have enough power for the front end to lift up. It needs a little work

thehorse13
07-04-2015, 08:51 PM
If you have one of the 200M or S models, all you need to do is put your foot into the rear grab bar and kneel on the seat. Leave the other leg on the foot peg. Once you do that just bounce down on the peg and give her some gas at the same time and it will stand right up for you. Body position has to be right so you have to lean to get the balance point right. It takes practice to get the bounce/throttle stab timing down but trust me, you can do it. I wheelie the hell out of my daughter's Z-90 quad and that thing has the torque of an old moped.

Bigredrocket
07-04-2015, 09:58 PM
I just hve the plain 200. But I'll give it a shot!