PDA

View Full Version : 90 atc will not move

Ttowle
07-08-2015, 12:55 AM
I just found a 78 90 in a farmers shed. I have gotten the thing to start and run great but when I put it in gear it does not move. In fact I can still roll it forward when it is in gear. I have taken the case apart and watched the little arm shift and it looks to be going through all the gears but somewhere it is not catching. Help please. This is my first 3 wheeler so I'm new to them. I have a few others I'm going to get going after I figure this one out. I have found it to be a very fun hobby!!

Any suggestions will help a lot!

Joseph Farrow
07-08-2015, 10:28 AM
The sub trans (high/low gear box) may be in between high and low range. With it is running and in neutral while shifting into first move the high/low lever one way or the other. It should "catch".
If that is not it then you have other problems which may involve going into the center cases.

coolpool
07-08-2015, 03:19 PM
If the above advice doesn't work (I suspect that's the culprit), there should be an inspection/lubrication plug on the chain case. Make sure the chain isn't broken or missing for some reason. Should be able to hear it as you roll the machine around too.

Ttowle
07-09-2015, 10:19 AM
Thanks guys that worked!! But now I lifted the front up in the air to take the front tire off. After I got it off and the other back on it won't start. It ran just fine before. I checked for spark which there is none now. What could this be? It was running great just 5 minutes before.

Joseph Farrow
07-09-2015, 10:33 AM
My first thoughts were that it flooded from having the front end up.....but no spark.....I first would check to make sure the switch is "on". I know it sounds simple but I used to work at the local Honda shop and you would be surprised how many people would bring bikes in that would not start and it was because the switch was in the "off" position.

YTZ drew
07-09-2015, 05:09 PM
If you have a leaking cam seal, there may be oil in the points case on the side of the head. Perhaps oil got on the points when you stood it up? Just for the peace of mind, take the 2 screws out and remove the cover to check.