PDA

View Full Version : 350x Clutch won't disengage

kylem1184
07-09-2015, 12:37 AM
I just picked up a 1985 350x as a project. The clutch was shot when I bought it. So I replaced the steel plates and the fiber plates. When I start it it will shift into gear and if I pop the clutch the wheels will kick about an inch but no other movement. I have made sure all the parts are there and installed in the right places. The one thing I was unsure about is the plate that the plunger pushes on is inset in the clutch basket could this be what is causing the problem it is tightened to far in?

kylem1184
07-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Any help would be hugely appreciated

barnett468
07-09-2015, 09:32 PM
Make sure there is just a tiny bit of free play in the clutch lever.

If there already is then simply get it going in forts the. Shift to second the ride around with the clutch lever pulled in and accelerate hard from a slow speed up yo around 20 mph several times . . doing this while riding up a hill should help break it loose.

If it refuses to break loose you can tty some motorcycle engine bnmoil that says jaso 2 on the bottle in small print then ride it the same way.
R

atc007
07-09-2015, 09:49 PM
Tear it back apart, something is not right. Could be your plunger, could be the 1st plate in didn't seat. Changing your oil will not fix your problem. Sorry if you already did.

kylem1184
07-10-2015, 05:42 AM
I pulled it back apart. When I got it apart I noticed that the inner part that the springs are bolted to was not free spinning so I took off the lifter plate and springs and then n it started spinning free and when I put it back on it stopped and was spinning the whole clutch basket. Not sure where to go from here?

barnett468
07-10-2015, 11:39 AM
changing oil to an oil with friction modifiers can help unstick clutches . . in fact member dougspcs had this exact prob on at least two different occassions and that is how he corrected it . although using the technique i described usually evebntually breaks them free . . if you cover is not properly installed or the end of the clutch arm or the clutch plate puller are bad they will not engage but when this happens the clutch lever will not have any resistance when pulled in . . your inner hub should not spin with the pllate and springs installed . . iit may be that if the cause was the plates being stuck together that it will work properly now providing the clutch arm and pulller are properly engaged..

Turbeau
07-10-2015, 11:59 AM
Do you have the 350x service manual?

kylem1184
07-10-2015, 12:54 PM
Yes I do. It's all in order with the manuel

kylem1184
07-11-2015, 06:10 PM
I got it. Thank you for the help. I pulled it back apart for the third time. Got so valvolin 4 stroke oil made for wet clutches put it all back together and bought a inch pound torque wrench and when I tighten the plunger plate all the way down and torqued it to 7 ft lbs it worked flawlessly my problem before was I didn't have the torque wrench so I couldn't tell how far the plunger plate needed to be recessed into the clutch basket so I just put it flush. Thank you all for the responses I'm back in the saddle. On my 8th trike and first 350x my dream bike!!!!!!!!!!

barnett468
07-11-2015, 06:26 PM
Most xlnt, it never hurts to start with new oil in a used bike anyway . . this way you know exactly what you have.

kylem1184
07-12-2015, 12:12 AM
Yeah I never would have thought of it if they didn't post so thank you all so much

Turbeau
07-13-2015, 06:59 PM
Good to hear you got everything worked out. Enjoy.