PDA

View Full Version : New with a 1987 Honda ATC 125m!

dcrider
07-09-2015, 11:13 PM
I just got into working on my old Honda again due to my little brother! I want to get it going before the 22nd of this month(thats when his birthday is). He started looking at it and wanted to get it running so I told him I would help him anyway I could. I know I used to love riding it when I was younger haha. It needs a good bit of parts to be ride able again like a gas tank, chain and rear sproket, starter relay thing and few other little parts. I also am not sure how to fix the shifter. It is completely stripped, so I'm not sure how to go about that.

-Dillon

barnett468
07-10-2015, 12:02 AM
What is stripped, the shifter or the splines on the shift shaft?

thehorse13
07-10-2015, 07:26 AM
I have seen people tack weld the shifter onto the shift shaft when the splines are stripped off. I don't like this method myself but it does work.

dcrider
07-10-2015, 09:14 PM
Sadly both of them are stripped :(. My dad and I tack welded it on there a long time ago and it didn't stay for long. I'm thinking about grinding the shaft into a square after I see where shifter needs to be and then making my own shifter that will fit on and tighten down on the squared shaft. Thats the only thing I can think of, unless I buy a whole new shaft assembly and tear everything apart, which I may end up doing if I can't think of anything else..

86125m
07-10-2015, 11:26 PM
you do not have to take apart the whole motor to get to the shift shaft all you have to do is take the right side cover off then take the clutch apart then the shaft should come out from the right side then just slide the new shaft in.