PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Honda Rancher Sputters When Hot?

Frankencelery
07-12-2015, 12:35 AM
My wife's 2008 Honda Rancher 420 did something bizarre the other day, and I was hoping for some ideas of things to check. We were out on a moderately warm day, and after about an hour it started to sputter. This happened about 5 miles out on the trail, and by the time we got back to camp, we were puttering along at 5mph. It would idle fine, but as soon as you gave it any gas at all, it would fall on its face.

My son had ridden it on a hard ride the night before with no problems at all. Conditions on the trails were pretty dusty, so I checked the air filter, and even ran it back at camp with the filter off, but that wasn't it. We hadn't used any different gas than the night before either. Then, when I started it up a couple hours later, the problem was gone, but I only had 5 minutes to ride it. I am sure this is something that will return. Feels like some sort of overheating problem, but the thing's got a temp light, which never came on. Coolant was a little low, but only at the low mark on the tank, so that shouldn't have been an issue.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

atc007
07-12-2015, 08:27 AM
New plug. And new fuel filter, it's in the pump itself. Good as new again.

Frankencelery
07-13-2015, 12:54 PM
I'll give it a shot. Standard tuneup stuff, that. But I was concerned that it did it once it got hot, and I neglected to mention this, but when I started it up later, it ran fine. We didn't run it for any length of time, so it hasn't been properly tested.

atc007
07-13-2015, 03:29 PM
While it sits, the crap loosens/ drains back out of the filter element. It needs a filter :).

Frankencelery
07-19-2015, 10:46 PM
Yep, you nailed it atc007. I got the fuel filter kit on Friday and finally got it installed today. They changed the way the filter mounts, which is strange. Instead of sitting on the bottom of the fuel pump housing, it goes to the side. Not sure why they did that. Anyway, we took it for an hour ride this evening and had no problems at all. Thanks for your help.