PDA

View Full Version : Trikefest up north?

kylem1184
07-13-2015, 02:49 AM
I see pictures all over of trikefest and it truly looks like a blast. I would love to try to organize one up in the Washington area maybe Beverly dunes or Moses lake dunes

kylem1184
07-13-2015, 04:50 AM
Who would I talk to or who normally sets these thing up?

coolpool
07-13-2015, 09:02 AM
Billy Golightly would be your first point of contact. It would be a huge undertaking but doable. I have to wonder if the two venues you mentioned would allow some of the "activities" that go on at Trikefest? Haspin Acres definitely fits the bill for Trikefest ATM.

kylem1184
07-13-2015, 05:00 PM
What events would be in question? I can verify with the state but for the most part it is public land and there aren't many restrictions

coolpool
07-13-2015, 06:18 PM
Wellllll let's just say the park has a set of standard rules that get stretched a bit during Trikefest. One being no riding past 9PM; machines go all night. Haspin is also set up for a hill climb, drag strip, and two motocross tracks. And if it rains, there's enough mud to satisfy any person who cares to enjoy. Plus theres a beautiful river very close thats nice to chill in during the heat of the day. Who knows, maybe a different riding area with different events are in order for out West.

Ghostv2
07-13-2015, 07:22 PM
Anyone can set up events with a local group and reach out to surrounding areas and welcome anyone to partake in the events.

We have a Pennsylvania based trike group and we hold races and group rides annually. It's a huge hit. We had a race at a popular track and we had more trikes sign up to race than dirtbikes. We make a name for our selfs. It takes a lot of work though and a great group of people. We work with other groups and ride in Ohio, New York, even in the dunes in Cali this year.

The fact is you can set up your own little annual gathering of trikes out closer to you and your friends but it just won't be trikefest. It won't be THE trikefest rather. Don't be scourged, it won't be a huge turnout, it takes time to build up a community who gets dedicated. Ask billy how long it took for trikefest to take off. Ask him if he ever thought it would turn out to be how it is. Talk to some of the people who help put this event together like Howdy and many others.

My advice is to plan it out ahead, even years if need be and make the ride to Indiana the weekend after Father's Day. It's worth it.

kylem1184
07-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback ghost. I will start looking into you suggestions. This may sound corny. But I don't think I have ever found a community like this. I am a diehard trike guy and this place feels like home. Thanks again

Howdy
07-13-2015, 09:48 PM
A little TF history:
The first TF was held in North Carolina. Originally during planning 75+ people said they would be there. I traveled with my family 10-12 hours only to have the first one a flop. 11 people showed up and 5 of those was my family. I got bummed and said f*** it. Mik6, jeswineheart, Tim Sr, and a few others told me to find a place more local to me and put a ride together. I had been to Haspin quite a few times and knew it alright. But I told everyone I wasn't going to plan another TF.
I picked a date in Aug 2002 and posted I was going there to ride. This time 35 people showed up and I made some life long friends. They ask me to put another ride together the next year. August was too hot, so we opted for a June ride ( TF ). The second year we had a little over 48 show up and we all had a mega amount of fun. We finally opten for the weekend after fathers day so everyone knew when it would be. You can plan 5-10 years out because that is the weekend. LOL

As the years have come and gone we have had some stellar years and some far from it years. We have had a year where a lot of people got too rowdy and Haspin got on our arse about the shenanigans that went on. I expressed my displeasure at the awards about how some members were about to ruin it for any future TF at Haspin and that I was VERY disappointed. That was 2007.

In 2008 attendance dropped quite a bit do to 2007 shenanigans. How ever in 2008 a lot of the die hard members / attendees took it upon themselves and help police the attendees that were getting out of hand. Every year since more and more attendees keep a watchful eye out and we all try to keep everyone to act with respect for each other and for Haspin.

Once you get things / ride started and it starts to grow you will find 1 person can't do it all. Tf has grown steadily since 2008 and it takes a drastic amount of behind the scene work. To put Trikefest together now a days takes 10 - 15 main people and as many helpers there ( if we can get them ).
My advice is to come to TF and hang out and see what all goes on, and how we work as a team to put things together. Not many know but days after TF we are already planning next years events. Actually this year we started some planning of TF2016 stuff before TF2015 was over. Starting early allows more input and time to get things worked out. But no matter what you will have a 4-8 week rush right before the ride. That is when everything starts finally coming together.
Howdy