PDA

View Full Version : How to get an ownership for my ATC in Ontario

BarnBoy
07-13-2015, 06:43 AM
Hi, I am looking to register my ATC but it has no ownership. It has never been registered before. I know it is not stolen. How do I do this in ON? Also, how much does it usually cost?

coolpool
07-13-2015, 09:10 AM
Can you not write up a bill of sale and simply go to the MTO and register it? Have a friend or family member do it if you know for sure it hasn't been registered before or stolen. Unless you know a cop who can run the VIN there's always unknowns. A simple Google search should come up with the cost. It's $55 per year to register in Alberta for comparison.

BarnBoy
07-13-2015, 05:37 PM
Can you not write up a bill of sale and simply go to the MTO and register it? Have a friend or family member do it if you know for sure it hasn't been registered before or stolen. Unless you know a cop who can run the VIN there's always unknowns. A simple Google search should come up with the cost. It's $55 per year to register in Alberta for comparison.

It's like $10 to register here I think. I have a bill of sale but I called the MTO and they said I would need an ownership too. I think I need the VIN but I am not sure if that and the bill of sale is all I need. I got it from my grandfather, so I am the second owner and I know for sure it is not stolen.

barnett468
07-13-2015, 05:48 PM
You must get the info from your department of motor vehicles.

coolpool
07-13-2015, 06:26 PM
It's like $10 to register here I think. I have a bill of sale but I called the MTO and they said I would need an ownership too. I think I need the VIN but I am not sure if that and the bill of sale is all I need. I got it from my grandfather, so I am the second owner and I know for sure it is not stolen.

I think you'll need to explain that you are trying to get an ownership FROM the Bill of Sale. If it's never been registered then it won't have paperwork associated with it other than the Bill of Sale. Typical Ontario bullship, another reason I don't live there anymore.

sp8twn
07-13-2015, 08:51 PM
affidavit,,, and bill of sales very simple!!!

RoscoW
07-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Like Shawn said the easiest way is to go to a notary public or lawyer and have them do a affidavit stating that you purchased it and from whom and to the best of your knowledge there is no known ownership. take that and the bill of sale to the MTO office and you should be good.

Ross..

BarnBoy
07-14-2015, 10:43 AM
Ok, thanks. I will try and get an affidavit then.

MRBIGWHEELZ
07-15-2015, 12:00 AM
Super easy I just registered a 250sx I went in to the mto and explained the same situation they sent me to a different branch... I didn't need a lawyer or police officer you just fill out the paper work provided take in the vin number and bill of sale ....if its before 84 i think there's a one sheet form ......took about half hour ...25 minutes of it waiting in line .....So i would call the mto explain your situation and find the executive branch in your city save yourself a wait in line .....this can be done if it was registered before as well ....Its a bit of running around and trying to explain you have a atv with three wheels took a bit for them to figure out.....