PDA

View Full Version : 84 200m chain won't stay tight

durrer17
07-16-2015, 11:09 PM
I have an 84 Honda 200m atc and I can't get the chain to stay tight. I loosen off the 2 main bolts that hold the axle and then I tighten the chain using the chain tensioner under the rear axle. It will stay tight for a few minutes of riding and then it gets loose again. It rattles on my chain guard and it clunks everytime I got the throttle. I just bought the trike and I don't think it has a new chain. Does anyone have any ideas!? Thanks

86125m
07-17-2015, 09:23 AM
sound like you need a new chain and if you have a new chain you need new sprockets. if you need new sprockets you also will need a new chain because you can put an old chain on new sprockets and you cant put a new chain on old sprockets because it will prematurely wear out.

archer45
07-18-2015, 08:09 AM
I have had troubles with non oring chain getting loose in a few minutes of riding. spend the extra money on a good chain with high tensil strength

durrer17
07-19-2015, 08:13 PM
Sorry I'm not familiar with chains. What is a non oring chain? Thanks

archer45
07-20-2015, 12:00 PM
some chains have orings on both side of every link thru out the chain. these chains hold the lube better, keep dirt from getting into the link were it pivots and generally use higher strength links. non oring chain is just that it has no orings much like a bike chain

1979atc
07-30-2015, 09:34 PM
Did u check the four bolts around the chain tensioner there should be four on bother side of the rear end two word of beside the tension and above the bearing carrier there is another two bolts u loosen them two adjust the chain then u tighten them back up and all that but when u said it stays tight then gets loose again then sometimes there are tight spots when the chain gets tight then loosens again do u have that? Or maybe the one side of the axle maybe moving idk

jerkin
07-31-2015, 10:08 AM
You need to figure out whether it is the chain stretching or the axle moving. I'd tighten it up and mark the axle then ride it until it is loose again and check the marks. Either way you don't want to ride it like that, if your chain jumps there is a good chance that it will wrap around the front sprocket and bust a hole in the case. Then you really have problems.