PDA

View Full Version : 84 Honda 125M clutch question

Litninrod
07-19-2015, 09:15 PM
Hi, New member here. I've rebuilt a few Honda Elites, but this is my first 3 wheeler.

I bought it as a basket case for $125, missing a few things. Downloaded a manual first thing. I replaced or repaired everything I thought needed it, and read quite a few posts here as I was going. It purrs like a kitten, starts easily by pull or electric, has good compression and no smoke.

So it's ready to go except for this last issue. When not running, I can shift through all four gears easily, and watch the gear indicator on the side. Just as smooth shifting the other way back to neutral. But when running, it goes into 1st gear, but will not go into second or back into neutral. Turn it off and easily back into neutral.

From reading posts here, the first culprit always seems to be the drum stopper. So I made sure it was good before I put the side cover on. It moves freely when pressed, and the spring moving it back into place is very firm. So I think it's good.

I couldn't get the screws out for the clutch, so I didn't inspect the plates on assembly.
I've adjusted the clutch as the manual specifies - turn left until you feel resistance then back to the right 1/4 turn.

So this is where I need some experienced advice. Should I adjust the clutch differently? Since the bike sat a long time, is it possible the clutch plates are stuck together? Or can the plates get completely worn out and need replacement? Or is it something else completely?
What's my next step?