PDA

View Full Version : 83 alt 125 up and running, buried for about 10 year

jbander
07-22-2015, 01:42 AM
I used it to bring in dear from hunting and hauling wood for our Yukon wood furnace for the house, it has 250 miles on it. I dumped the gas ,added a little and it started on first pull

jbander
07-22-2015, 01:43 AM
I suppose I have to flip it before I add it as a attachment. ,It will be tomorrow.

oile
07-22-2015, 01:46 AM
That's pretty clean ride you have there and really rare were I live.

oile
07-22-2015, 01:54 AM
Man I would restore that baby.

coolpool
07-22-2015, 08:51 AM
I agree with oile, I haven't seen many of those and it looks complete. Even has new Trailpros!!!!! Is that front fender supposed to have the round cutout on the front?

jbander
07-22-2015, 02:18 PM
I agree with oile, I haven't seen many of those and it looks complete. Even has new Trailpros!!!!! Is that front fender supposed to have the round cutout on the front? A piece was broken off of the fender so I sculpted it a new shape. The color is back from sanding through the oxidation and It seems that the plastic is quite brittle. It has a crack in one of the fenders which, in trying to fix, found out this plastic is real hard to work with. I reupholstered the seat, instead of black it is deep blue. I love your list of trikes, thats a amazing collection.

coolpool
07-22-2015, 11:20 PM
A piece was broken off of the fender so I sculpted it a new shape. The color is back from sanding through the oxidation and It seems that the plastic is quite brittle. It has a crack in one of the fenders which, in trying to fix, found out this plastic is real hard to work with. I reupholstered the seat, instead of black it is deep blue. I love your list of trikes, thats a amazing collection.

You did a good job sculpting it! There's lots of info on here about sanding/polishing plastics. It's amazing how some turn out. Plastic welding is an option for cracks but I don't have any experience in it. If you drill a small 1/16" hole at the end of the crack it should stop it from getting bigger. Thanks for the compliment; my list is nothing compared to what some members have. They tend to multiply for sure. You wait!

jbander
07-23-2015, 12:02 AM
You did a good job sculpting it! There's lots of info on here about sanding/polishing plastics. It's amazing how some turn out. Plastic welding is an option for cracks but I don't have any experience in it. If you drill a small 1/16" hole at the end of the crack it should stop it from getting bigger. Thanks for the compliment; my list is nothing compared to what some members have. They tend to multiply for sure. You wait!I'll do the drill thing tomorrow, thanks for the heads up, this will be a working three wheeler, it will save my old bones a little bit, Make the work around here easier . On the plastic to get rid of the oxidation, I tried boiled linseed oil and paint Thiner, that changed the color a bit but the color it changed it to was ugly also. I tried heat and again that was better but that wasn't a winner either. So I got out my sander with 100 grit zirconium and then 220 grit. aluminum oxide to finish it off. The oxidation was real bad , you can see it on plastic in front of the seat. I didn't do anything with that.

coolpool
07-23-2015, 09:29 AM
I'll do the drill thing tomorrow, thanks for the heads up, this will be a working three wheeler, it will save my old bones a little bit, Make the work around here easier . On the plastic to get rid of the oxidation, I tried boiled linseed oil and paint Thiner, that changed the color a bit but the color it changed it to was ugly also. I tried heat and again that was better but that wasn't a winner either. So I got out my sander with 100 grit zirconium and then 220 grit. aluminum oxide to finish it off. The oxidation was real bad , you can see it on plastic in front of the seat. I didn't do anything with that.

That's a good start with those grits of sandpaper; just don't want to create any deep scratches that will haunt you later. I've heard of guys working their way down into the 600, 800 and even finer in some cases.