PDA

View Full Version : Removing rear axle off an 83 Big Red, question?

Honda Junki
07-23-2015, 09:32 AM
Hey there,
I have an 83 big red that I'm trying to remove the rear axle out of the housing. (Im putting new bearings in) I took the 2 large nuts off on the right side and the drum brake cover, I'm stumped on what needs to be done next because the axle will not wiggle an inch. I see the between the axle and the actual brake drum there is a collar but it doesn't look like its attached to the axle but rather to the drum. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

BarnBoy
07-23-2015, 09:17 PM
Hey there,
I have an 83 big red that I'm trying to remove the rear axle out of the housing. (Im putting new bearings in) I took the 2 large nuts off on the right side and the drum brake cover, I'm stumped on what needs to be done next because the axle will not wiggle an inch. I see the between the axle and the actual brake drum there is a collar but it doesn't look like its attached to the axle but rather to the drum. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Well, to take the axle off you need to remove the chain case and chain. Then there is a seal between the axle and the brake drum to keep the water out of your bearings. Take that off. I used a screwdriver, but you want to be a little careful so you don't break it. Then, take the axle nut that holds the hub to the axle and turn it on backwards so that it sits flush with the end of the axle. Then make sure the wheeler is up and off the ground and stable so it won't fall over and break anything. Take a piece of a 2 by 4 and a hammer (nothing special, a regular 16 or 22 oz one will do) and drive the axle out from the right side to the left. Make sure you use wood though so you don't break anything. It should drive right out, without to much effort. On my 200m I did not even have to use a hammer. Yours might be a little tighter but should come out ok. Don't worry about the brake drum; it will be easy to remove one the axle is move a bit to the left.

Hope this helps.