PDA

View Full Version : Information on 1989 GMC k2500

90guy
07-28-2015, 06:22 PM
Well guys. I have the chance to snag the father inlaws pickup. 89 k2500 has 85000 miles on the body. What can you tell me about common issues with these trucks. Has a built 454 in it with a 700r4 behind it. That was built with HD kevlar clutches servos and HD mods. 14 bolt rearend Also has an oversized radiator in it and is carbed. Has the typical Chevy cab corner ruse starting I would sand and put some POR 15 on it. Ill get some pictures of it soon. What are common issues with these trucks? Thanks in advance!

jb2wheels
07-28-2015, 08:57 PM
It's a GM and GM the company sucks.
Paint peeling off.
OD auto transmissions suck.
Stupid 4x4 thermal activation system. Easy enough to fix but just a dumb solution to something that wasn't a problem.

Does it have the 8 lug wheels and full floater 14 bolt or the 6 lug and semi-floater?

I bought a 90 6-lug K2500 new and had it for 100k miles. TBI 350 + 5 speed. Crappy paint was the only issue I remember and GM would not fix it.
GM "customer service" soured me on GM forever but is irrelevant for a 25 year old truck.

On the plus side, the 88+ trucks are much nicer to drive than the previous generation.

90guy
07-28-2015, 09:02 PM
Truck was professionally repainted so no peeling paint there. Semi floater 6 lug. I Like to call it a heavy half ton.

oldskool83
07-28-2015, 09:07 PM
I would look into do you need this "grab" vs do you want this "grab" Does it hold any value do you if someone else buys it or is there another model you'd rather have and dump money into it because we all dump lots of money into things we want to "grab"

To me I do not see much value in a 25+ year old truck that's prob run of the mil. Personaly I would not want a carb'ed truck. I've owned GM and would not go back. May have been bad experiences but they always seem to make us buy another brand.

Now i like my some 60's to early 70's GM's maybe that old C20 my grand father sold to my other grand father would of been a cool truck to "grab"

90guy
07-28-2015, 09:19 PM
We will just the price is more than equivalent to make up for it. Problem is in Nodak these older chevys pull big money yet. I would rather have the Carb then the TBI chevy had. Not a fan of it. Basically looking at part availability compared to the power wagon. These older gms have a soft spot in my heart and seem to see them everywhere.

Devilsclaw
07-28-2015, 11:08 PM
I had an 89 K1500. Was a good solid pickup. Hated the thermal axle engagement but just learned to either wait on it or put it in gear before you really needed it. Drove ok. The TBI was good, I liked it far better than a carb, and I would assume yours is injected too unless someone monkeyed with it. The TBI looks like a carb. Never really had any trouble with it. But at the end of the day, it's still a very old pickup. The current generations spoil us. I'm driving a 2012 now, and it's quite a bit behind the current models. Ok for just haulin junk around but I wouldn't want to have to REALLY use an 89 every day.

90guy
07-28-2015, 11:29 PM
What is this thermal axle everyone talks about. Nope complete carb setup. He blew the old motor up and replaced it with a built 454 with carb. I've seen enough tbi go to trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro around here where like you guys say it's a 26 year old truck. It'll have flaws. I have an 08 ram that barely leaves the garage. And when it does it is to pull a trailer. In winter I need to have a beater 4wd so my good truck dosent have to deal the cooling tower drift on the paint. We will see if the power wagon is actual sold.

oldskool83
07-29-2015, 01:21 PM
Power WAGON 1980 yee haw!!!!!!!!! double cable shorty bed, crap brown color 360 gas with stacks...now that's a beautiful ugly beater! better with a 12v cummins.

Mr. Clean
07-29-2015, 01:54 PM
I graduated high school in 1989, so that makes this a BAD ASS truck. I have nothing else to offer.

90guy
08-10-2015, 05:26 PM
Picked it up. Drove it back 5 hours. 14mpg with a carb on it. Not bad for the big brute. Bought a set of rims and tires off the classifieds and buddy gave me a tool chest. My first truck was a 95 gmc 1500 I just have a soft spot for these gm trucks. 219755

barnett468
08-10-2015, 05:41 PM

What is this thermal axle everyone talks about.

this only applies to 4 wheel drive trucks . . it is a solenoid that engages the front drive when you engage it from the cab . . the switch only works after it gets hot, so it takes longer to engage 4 wheel drive if you are in the snow etc.

if you have 4 wheel drive and the front doesn't engage, it is most likely the switch, but there are a couple simple tests you can do to determine exactly what the prob is . . if you need to know how to test it, i will tell you.

jb2wheels
08-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Good looking truck