PDA

View Full Version : Need a quick question answered about my 1984 Honda 200s.

Domi
08-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Hey guys,

I need a quick question answered, I have a 1984 Honda 200s. All of buddies seem to think the oil I run will hurt my trike because in late fall and early spring when the temperature, is still cool out. I run 10w40, and in the late spring and throughout the summer I run 20w50 because it gets hot out. I basically run the oil the manual states is good for my three wheeler. So by running the oil as I do is the 20w50 to thick? I always do frequent oil changes, with the oil usually being clean when I change it out. Thanks ahead of time.

yaegerb
08-01-2015, 10:25 AM
20w 50 is usually used in racing applications or situations where the engine will be under excessive loads. I doubt you are racing or taking the 200s to extreme situations so 10w40 oil that's "wet clutch safe" is sufficient.

And no, 20w50 oil won't hurt it. I use maxima 20w50 in my flat track 200x. The cooler it gets though it may be a tiny bit harder to start with the thicker viscosity oil.

Domi
08-01-2015, 10:39 AM
No I don't race my 200s lol.. But in the summer I do work the trike hard, from using it around the camp hauling firewood, sand etc. I do a lot of hunting, and fishing also. Most fishing trips are through swamps and the trike works. Most times I'm in 1st and 2nd gear loaded with my gear. The engine does get hot. Last year I hauled a bull moose out of the bush with it. That's why I use 20w50 in the summer and early fall.

yaegerb
08-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Sounds like you are getting good use out of her. Tell your friends to worry about their own bikes ;)

jerkin
08-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Just to expand on something Yaegerb stated, you really want to run motorcycle oil and not automobile oil in your 200. Lots of people run automobile oil in them because it's cheaper but it will also wear your clutch faster. Cars have a dry clutch so the sole purpose of the oil is to lubricate the engine and to make the oils lubricate better manufacturers add friction modifiers to them. Bikes have a wet clutch that is bathed in oil and the friction modifiers in automobile oil will cause the clutch to slip and wear prematurely. Just something to think about.

Domi
08-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Yes all I run is motorcycle oil in my 200s. I was wondering about the 20w50. Oil always seems to be a touch and go subject.

jlucero
08-01-2015, 12:17 PM
I agree with what's been said above. You won't be hurting your trike to run a thicker viscosity in the summer. If anything, you're just taking extra precaution to make sure you don't overheat it, which is a good thing. Always better to be rich than lean!