PDA

View Full Version : fresh from the land of maple syrup with a 1984 klt 200

Danger_Bay
08-02-2015, 10:14 PM
hi all! new to trikes, sort of. i have a 1984 Kawasaki klt 200 that i snagged for free. I have put a little time in to it and got it running to what i feel is good. I am looking for some help from some klt gurus as i have a bit of a predicament. i was looking for my axle lock on my trike and found that it has been completely removed, so on eBay i go. found one for cheap. under closer inspection the axle has the hub lock on it rather than the diff lock. it states it off of a klt 250. i ask the seller if he can verify its off of a 200. he states yes. so i guess what i am asking here is they look to be the same mounting locations, was there such a 200 with the hub lock? if not can the 250 axle fit??

terrible first post i know, but thats why we are here!

Devilsclaw
08-02-2015, 10:41 PM
hi all! new to trikes, sort of. i have a 1984 Kawasaki klt 200 that i snagged for free. I have put a little time in to it and got it running to what i feel is good. I am looking for some help from some klt gurus as i have a bit of a predicament. i was looking for my axle lock on my trike and found that it has been completely removed, so on eBay i go. found one for cheap. under closer inspection the axle has the hub lock on it rather than the diff lock. it states it off of a klt 250. i ask the seller if he can verify its off of a 200. he states yes. so i guess what i am asking here is they look to be the same mounting locations, was there such a 200 with the hub lock? if not can the 250 axle fit??

terrible first post i know, but thats why we are here!

This part I've highlighted doesn't really make any sense....you either have a differential or not.

All of the axles with differentials in them were of the locking variety. There were none, that did not give you the choice. Meaning, you had the choice of being locked (differential did not function) or unlocked--(where the differential functioned) The way you selected between the two, was using the hub selector knob on the left wheel, very similar to the old 4 wheel drive locking hub selectors on pickups.

The real early units had solid axles with no differentials. (Prior to 1983 I think)

Not 100% sure, but probably 85% sure the KLT200 and KLT250 shared the same axle/differential assembly.

You said that the "axle lock" had been removed--do you mean the rod was just taken out but the knob remains? The axle is hollow, so you'd have an open pathway for dirt to invade if both the rod and selector knob were removed.

Danger_Bay
08-02-2015, 10:48 PM
sorry. i understand the confusion, i ment to say diff lock on mine. but in the scheme of things there are two models that incorporate the diff, one simply locks the axle to eliminate differential action, and the other locks the side gears in the differential housing. both do the same thing in the end, my only real question was if the axle with the different lock would work.

Devilsclaw
08-02-2015, 10:52 PM
Forgot to mention, I'd be happy to measure one of my 250s if that would help.

Danger_Bay
08-02-2015, 10:53 PM
if you dont mind, im pretty sure they are they same. thanks devilsclaw!

phantomtracer
08-02-2015, 10:55 PM
I had a 1980 klt and if I remember correctly you locked the diff by screwing down a hex head bolt that was accessed from a cover directly over the differential.

Devilsclaw
08-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Well that's news to me, and I thought I knew KLT's pretty well. I wasn't aware there were two different types of differentials used.

All of the ones I've had/worked on/seen in the service manuals were the ones that used a little ring inside the housing that locked the gears in place with pins. The ring was activated by turning a plastic hub selector that had a cam inside it, that either pulled the rod outward or released it inward for the two modes.

Danger_Bay
08-02-2015, 11:13 PM
yes mine HAD the diff lock as phantomracer said, but its gone, and open to the elements.

barnett468
08-02-2015, 11:48 PM
81 thru 83 had the threaded bolt on the housing to lock and unlock diff . . the 84 had the rod . . the axles are not interchangeable between the two styles.

.................................................. ............................................... 1981 thru 1983

http://cdn.partzilla.com/diagram/kawasaki/07/0021/D-12.png

.................................................. ............................................... 1984 and newer.

http://cdn.partzilla.com/diagram/kawasaki/08/0145/I-11.png

Danger_Bay
08-03-2015, 12:46 AM
so what i am asking as the complete axle assemble is not interchangeable?? i will be getting rid of my current dif lock with the lock on the diff and throwing it in the bush, and in fact swapping the whole rear end. strange because mine is an 84 and also had the older style. I guess i will l know in a few weeks.
thanks for that picture! looks like some one swapped out mine for an older one.

Danger_Bay
08-25-2015, 03:46 PM
Just to give some closure to this thread[emoji57], I got an axle from a klt250 with the hub lock switch, much better than the first diff lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk