PDA

View Full Version : engine somke

82honda200
08-04-2015, 03:31 AM
Does anyone know what could cause the engine to smoke? It usually only smokes when its started up cold. However when its shut off for a few minutes and then restarted it smokes again. It also pops occasionally and when it does there is smoke accompanied by the pops. The trike seems to run good and has plenty of power and compression. It has enough compression to actually yank me forwards with the rip cord on the pull start if I not careful and I weigh over 200lbs. The smoke is bluish gray in color. I work on cars a bit and know that when blue smoke is present that there is usually oil entering into the combustion chamber. It doesn't smoke when its being ridden after it warms up tho. I also know that there are several ways at least with cars that oil can enter the combustion chamber. But I don't know much about atc engines to say what I think ot could be other than oil but it doesn't really have that oil smell if that makes sense to anyone. I was rd it could be several things causing the smoke such as valve adjustment,card issues(which I know it has because it refuses to idle unless you keep your thumb on the throttle a lil bit) was also told it could be the rings,timing and so on. I'm not sure where to start with trying to figure out the problem. It has enough power that if i shift into 2nd and crack the throttle it will pull the front wheel off the ground without having to do anything. So again any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Bill

flynfish
08-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Sounds like my x. I found the oil ring on piston had overlapped instead of butting up together as well as it having a bad valve seal. Couldn't say on the pop tho

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

jerkin
08-04-2015, 11:27 AM
Just doing it on start up makes me think valve seal.

82honda200
08-04-2015, 09:14 PM
It will smoke when revved up the higher u rev it the more smoke is present. I am going to look into a compression tester either purchasing or renting to get some actual numbers and then I will go from there

barnett468
08-04-2015, 10:07 PM
It is smoking due to excessive oil . . Excessive gas would cause black smoke.

the valve adjustment has no effect on smoke but if they are too tight, it can cause popping.

if you remove the head, you might as well remove the cylinder and measure that and the piston etc and repair as necessary.

the oil comes from the rings and/or valves.

82honda200
08-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Makes sense but if I pull the cylinder and separate it from the piston to measure both, wouldn't I have to re ring the piston and all that? I dont see how I would be able to take them apart and measure everything and then reassemble it and have no issues. I figure if I'm going to take the engine down that far then o may as well just do a complete top end overhaul. Which should I need that done I will have it done professionally. Since I know of 2 shops who will happily work on anything cycle wise be it atv,atc,dirt bike or motor cycle. I will just have to source the parts for it that way I do t end up paying the mark up for the parts plus the labor. Besides that I dont really have the proper tools or the time cuz I wok evenings and when I get home ots far to late to do anything of that sort. But hopefully tomorrow I will have a compression tester so that I can get some numbers and see if they are within spec and maybe depending on those results I can try and figure out what actually needs done to the engine

barnett468
08-05-2015, 09:23 PM

Makes sense but if I pull the cylinder and separate it from the piston to measure both, wouldn't I have to re ring the piston and all that?

xlnt question, and the answer is uabsolutely, positively not.

I dont see how I would be able to take them apart and measure everything and then reassemble it and have no issues.

the rings rotate in the cylinder so it doesn;t matter what position they are in when you reinstall the cylinder . . they will never know threy were out of the cylincder.

I figure if I'm going to take the engine down that far then o may as well just do a complete top end overhaul. Which should I need that done I will have it done professionally. Since I know of 2 shops who will happily work on anything cycle wise be it atv,atc,dirt bike or motor cycle. I will just have to source the parts for it that way I do t end up paying the mark up for the parts plus the labor. Besides that I dont really have the proper tools or the time cuz I wok evenings and when I get home ots far to late to do anything of that sort. But hopefully tomorrow I will have a compression tester so that I can get some numbers and see if they are within spec and maybe depending on those results I can try and figure out what actually needs done to the engine

if your cylinder isn't worn, eveN though you can reuse the old rings, i would deglaze the cyl and install new rings.

YOU CAN PUT CARB CLEANER IN THE PORTS THEN SEE IF IT IS WEEPING OUT AROUND THE VALVES . . IF IT IS, THEY ARE LEAKING.

82honda200
08-06-2015, 10:06 PM
So I got myself a compression tester today brand new and the very 1st thing I did with it was check the compression on my trike. I got a reading on 125ish psi cold until my arm started hurting from yankin on the rip cord. The compression tester I got was an el cheapo from harbor freight and that's what the gauge read. I didn't have a chance to do a warm engine compression test as it started raining so I put the trike away. This is my base line cold test I didn't put any oil into the cylinder simple because I wanted a base line reading to compare to with factory spec because 125ish psi seems rather low. But again I am new to atvs so I don't know what factory spec for this lil 200cc is. But yeah I just figured I would post up my compression test results and see what everyone here has to say before I just started assuming random things that may not even be there lol