PDA

View Full Version : What's an 84 Kawasaki Tecate 250 worth?

Bigredrocket
08-05-2015, 11:27 AM
I have something a guy wants to trade for. He wants to trade me his 1984 Kawasaki Tecate 250 2 stroke bored out to be a 280. He said the motor is very built and brand new plastics. Can anyone give me a general idea of how much it's worth? He only told me the motor is built he hasn't told me what exactly is done to it except it being bored. So let's just assume that it's been bored and it's in good shape with new plastics. how much is it worth?

nd4speed
08-05-2015, 11:42 AM
There are a lot of off road toys out west, so it depends on condition and where you live and what someone is willing to pay.

Boring a cylinder .030" (30 thousandths of an inch) does not add 30cc of volume to the 249cc it originally was. No regular overbore piston will add 30cc of volume. So most likely his logic, it is 280cc, is not reality.

What do you value your trade at?

here is ebay link to sold tecates $600-1400 (which is generally what I see them for in my area):
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Kawasaki-/42590/i.html?_from=R40&LH_ItemCondition=4&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=tecate&_vxp=mtr

oldskool83
08-05-2015, 01:31 PM
He told you all this information because he knows nothing. I'd stay away from a tecate if your not into sourcing many hard to find items and paying bank.

I would never pay more then 1000 for one that runs...... EVER!

They are Build very hooky compared to Yamaha and Honda.

nd4speed
08-05-2015, 03:13 PM
he has a point, it is a toy that can cost more than its worth to fix, so you must enjoy riding them and fixing them. I paid $375 for mine not running but complete and $800 vanished instantly and it was no where near restored. I rode it for years and broke the motor I put in it, then put the original motor back in it which started right up and sold it at a loss $650.

They are not a retirement investment but rather something that can send you into early retirement.

jb2wheels
08-05-2015, 03:44 PM
Just some thoughts:
Generally running but fugly $300-$500.
Clean not running also $300-$500.
Running and clean $600 to whatever the market will bear - very condition and location based. CA AZ dirt cheap. Prices go up as you move farther north and east.

If he has receipts for the engine to prove a pro rebuild and maybe even a warranty that would be a bonus.
New plastics are $500.

Look at condition - tires, seat, brakes bearings, chain, sprockets, suspension etc.
Running covers a couple of sore spots - hard to find CDI boxes and fragile stator/flywheel.
Does it have an air filter? Factory filter cage is hard to find.
Does it have lights and all the switches? Headlight and switches are hard to find.
Does it have both skid plates?

If you want a restoration, it will cost $$. If you want a rider, I think they're good trikes. Simpler and easier to work on than 250Rs but my 85R will always be a better trike than my 1st gen T3s.

oldskool83
08-05-2015, 03:52 PM
[QUOTEIf he has receipts for the engine to prove a pro rebuild and maybe even a warranty that would be a bonus.
New plastics are $500.[/QUOTE]

I went off the rule buying a 1996 banshee...turns out the guy did have new parts but reused wrist pin clips with were just eating the sided of both cylinders...talk about an expensive rebuild on a rebuilt bike. Never trust what someone says. I'd post pics and let us decide for you. New plastics are $500 alone...try selling them unless they are mint in the maier or kawi bag ya wont get anything.

Bigredrocket
08-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the info guys. The trade didn't happen. I'm a honda guy anyways. 250r power!