PDA

View Full Version : gas leaked into oil

Smith
08-09-2015, 09:48 AM
I just acquired this trike form a neighbor that moved. It has been sitting for some time. I cleaned the petcock and tank rust, then cleaned carb.. this big red ran great. then I had no spark. when I pulled the cover off the alt. there was alot of gas mixed with the oil. can anyone tell me why? I have a 1985 250es big red.

coolpool
08-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Two reasons I can see that you have gas in your oil is that a) your float sticks open and your carb overflow is plugged up allowing gas to fill the carb, travel along the intake into your motor. b) You tried starting it so much with the choke on you flooded the cylinder with gas and it's made it's way into your crankcase. That would take a lot of cranking.

Smith
08-10-2015, 06:13 AM
Two reasons I can see that you have gas in your oil is that a) your float sticks open and your carb overflow is plugged up allowing gas to fill the carb, travel along the intake into your motor. b) You tried starting it so much with the choke on you flooded the cylinder with gas and it's made it's way into your crankcase. That would take a lot of cranking.

thank you, Cool, got the carb off, again, and gonna try that. the problem stemmed from no spark.. and trying several things... resulted in a lot of cranking. and there is no choke, that is one of the things I could not get free inside the carb. still figuring out alot about this machine. thanks again.

Chick3nBig
08-10-2015, 10:46 AM
Second Coolpool!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk