PDA

View Full Version : 85' 250ES Ran for a minute, now nothing.

AFG024
08-09-2015, 07:44 PM
I'm new to the site- I just got an 85' br 250es from my wife's father, it's been in a barn for 10+ years. It was missing the ignition coil, and the air filter was mouse food, but other than that it was intact. The tank rusty and crudded up so I cleaned it up best I could. So today I popped in a new battery, hooked the coil up and with a little fresh gas it fired up! But only for about 30 seconds. I tried to estart until the battery was dead(kickstart gear is stripped) I charged the battery while it was still connected to the bike, ( I think this was a bad move) because now I don't have spark. I gave up for the day but I'm curious, would charging it whole connected blow a fuse? Or the CDI? I know I have carb issues too, but one thing at a time I guess. 219727

Atc70noob
08-12-2015, 07:27 PM
would charging it whole connected blow a fuse? Or the CDI? I know I have carb issues too, but one thing at a time I guess. 219727[/QUOTE]

You should be okay to charge it connected. There are 3 fuses to check, one on the rear half of the frame by the battery somewhere, follow the red battery wire back. Two under the headlight. Are you getting a green neutral light on the dash? Did you check for spark at the spark plug? Check fuel flow at the tank to carb hose? Is your gas tank cap "on". Check all of this stuff. Get back to us.

big specht
08-12-2015, 08:27 PM
Don't try starting it with the charger hooked up and on. The charger voltage will screw with the cdi and cause a eratic spark. Try just hooking it to a good batt. We learned that the hard way. And make sure the neutral light works correctly. If not check the neutral wire connections on the pass side of the motor

Devilsclaw
08-12-2015, 11:36 PM
My guess is it lost spark and that's why it died, but who knows? It could be many different things, but if it's not even trying to fire it's probably ignition related. Just came in from messing with mine. What an over-engineered, underpowered machine! I'm about to kick mine to the curb I'm so frustrated with it.

atc007
08-13-2015, 07:52 AM
Clean your gas tank thoroughly, take your carb apart and clean it very thoroughly. Flyingw has a carb guide on here,search for that if you have ANY questions lol. It is covered perfectly. Put a NEW spark plug in her with the battery recharged,and see if she starts. If not, then start checking spark. The fact your kicker is" stripped". Means the oil hasn't been changed as it should,and it needs the one way bearing in the clutch replaced. When you see that, it usually also means all that clutch grit from dirty oil has stuck into the flywheel/stator, shorting it out. But first things first. get everything you KNOW has to be done,out of the way. You will have an amazing bike when done!

Devilsclaw,, Flyingw also did a super simple,easy to follow electrical right up about the 250 Big Reds once,search that , what is the problem with yours? They are actually pretty straight forward and absolutely,hands down, one of the best ATC's ever produced. It will be worth it to fix yours, promise!

Flyingw
08-13-2015, 07:58 AM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/161746-ES-SX-350X-Carb-rebuild-Tutoral?p=1257154#post1257154

AFG024
08-14-2015, 07:40 PM
219952Gents- first I'd like to say thanks for the insight on what may have been causing my mysterious loss of spark- my machine is back up and running like a top- I used flyingw's carb rebuild guide and rebuilt the carb excellent detail btw- threw a new ignition coil at it, no spark- checked all fuses, hit all connections and grounds with Emory, no spark. New plug, no spark. Just when I was about the order a new cdi off eb I remembered reading here about the killswitch- I wiped 10 years of grime off of it, and discovered there are two off positions, I put it to run, and spark. Put the plug back in and she fired right up. Sonofabitch. Thanks again guys, I'm off for a ride.