PDA

View Full Version : New member and New 85 250sx

blackout08
08-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Ive been purusing the forum for a few years, pretty much since i picked up my first 2 3 wheelers for free. A 1984 atc70, and a 185, unsure of year as its been sold.
The 70 was pretty well all there so I've hung on to it, added a plastic tank and a lifan 125cc, all new control cables, new mikuni carb. Currently out of commision, in need of a top end job.
The 185 was really rough, maybe 60-70% there. It wasn't really worth restoring in my opinion, not many parts were in great shape and the plastics were torn up. It has since been sold to another local atc owner for use of parts. Sad, but at least ot helped get other trikes going.
On the 28th of july i happened across an ad on craigslist for an 85 250sx. As long as I've had the other atcs, I've always wanted a 250es or 250sx, and since neither pop up on the classifieds often, i jumped on it. All there, no leaks, decent overal shape, AND running. He had me sold at 800. Minor issues when it was purchased: bent handlebars, bog under rapid acceleration or opening the throttle up suddenly, no battery, and no rear brakes.
Since I've had it, I've replaced the rear pads, and both rear cables, now rear breaks work. I've put on a new battery, now the electric start works. New 23x7x10 bear claw on the front, 22x12x8 bear claws on the rear (with 2" spacers.) Still working on finding handlebars that fit the stock mounts. Oil change, new kn air filter.

UPNATM
08-11-2015, 08:30 PM
Looks good, try and post up some more pics if you can of it with the new wheels and tires on it.
How are those spacers when riding?

ty98zr
08-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Looks like you are getting some use out of your new purchase. Good job.

blackout08
08-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Looks good, try and post up some more pics if you can of it with the new wheels and tires on it.
How are those spacers when riding?

I've got to swap out my intake spacer today to try and get rid of an induction leak, so I'll get some better pictures then. So far they ride pretty smooth. I haven't done any top speed runs, but I'd guess I've hit about 35 or so with them. Installing them was finicky though. Pulled each side of a few times until i had them pretty well perfectly centered on the hub. Btw, i did stick with stock wheels in the rear for now. May change down the road for more offest.

blackout08
08-13-2015, 09:38 PM
Here's a few picture of the stance with the 2" spacers and 22x8x8 bear claws. I'm still trying to find handlebars that fit properly. I've bought 2 sets now that haven't fit, fortunately one of them can be used on my atc70.

UPNATM
08-13-2015, 10:01 PM
Man, she's got a mighty fat ass with those spacers on. Lol
For bars, you may want to try Moose racing bars. That what I run, they fit perfectly, and so far have held up nicely.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/dalbey58/Honda%20atc/20140906_114742_zps9e06d344.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/dalbey58/media/Honda%20atc/20140906_114742_zps9e06d344.jpg.html)

ty98zr
08-13-2015, 11:33 PM
Wow that's a nice a sweet pair!

blackout08
08-14-2015, 08:44 PM
It's quite a bit more stable now, even just adding 4" to the wheelbase. Waiting until after work tomorrow to take it out to the local trail/mud hole spot to test it out. Those are beautiful, are those restored or just very well kept? Do you remember where you ordered your moose bars? The first set I bought were moose, and they were a bit off at the base where they mount.
Another question if I may. I sprayed down the induction system with starter fluid to check for leaks and could find any. It sounds like it's running too lean, if I ease into the throttle, I can get pretty close to WOT (except in 4th gear.) I'm starting to wonder if the mixture screw isn't set properly. Would the mixture screw happen to be on the engine side of the carb, kind of by the exhaust?

blackout08
08-16-2015, 10:34 PM
Just a few pictures from this weekend. Took it to one of the local trailing spots and had a blast! I got pretty stuck back in the trails once. I noticed the skinnier front tire I put on had a bad habit of biting into the mud and digging in so I may swap back out to the wider stock tire, or see if I can fit a slightly taller wide tire on.
Also it's got me thinking about swapping out for the lower geared 250es diff with larger 25" tires. I wonder how it would compare to an 250Ees since the trans gear is a little higher on the sx. Just a thought for now.

blackout08
08-29-2015, 12:29 AM
I finally found handlebars that would fit the mounts on my SX. Moose 0601-1805. I had to take the headache pad off the bars to make the indicator lights visible, but I like the way they look. I'll take pictures this weekend.
Also had time to pull the carb tonight to check the jets, and throttle needle. The two middle jets were clogged but the outer two were fine. Not sure which jet is which, except for the longer main jet and I'm guessing the idle jet since it idled. Everything else was in good order. While it is running better now, there is still a bog if you open the throttle too fast. I'm not sure what it could be at this point.