PDA

View Full Version : 86 trx 250r or 89 quadzilla 500?

Bigredrocket
08-14-2015, 01:13 PM
I know this a three wheeler site but the 250 is pretty much the 250r atc with four wheels and I figured you guys would know and have knowledge on quads too. There's a guy who has both this wuss and wants my truck so he's gonna give me one of the aids and cash for my truck. Which quad do you guys think is better.
Speed, reliability, low maintenance, in expensive parts. Things like that. And is the physical size difference a lot?

Mr. Clean
08-14-2015, 01:38 PM
For me the 86 TRX can be made as fast as you want to go, would consider it lower maintenance and has a huge aftermarket for parts. I have not ridden a quadzilla but have been next to one and for me the size difference in negligible.

jb2wheels
08-14-2015, 02:56 PM
A nice Quadzilla would be cool just because of what it is. If I had to pick, that's what I'd pick.

oile
08-14-2015, 03:07 PM
I would go with Mr clean . I have quadzilla and you can make them very fast but you need big money compared to an 250.

yaegerb
08-14-2015, 03:34 PM
I know this a three wheeler site but the 250 is pretty much the 250r atc with four wheels and I figured you guys would know and have knowledge on quads too. There's a guy who has both this wuss and wants my truck so he's gonna give me one of the aids and cash for my truck. Which quad do you guys think is better.
Speed, reliability, low maintenance, in expensive parts. Things like that. And is the physical size difference a lot?

x3, agree with all comments so far. I for one WILL own a zilla someday (radical power) and I have performed some research lately as I was in the market for a quadzilla until I realized that my pocket book is too light right now. Bottom line, A 250R can be made for big power a helluva lot cheaper than a quadzilla.

Here are some fun facts on the zilla:

87 made the most power due to a larger intake and port timing but blew up constantly because of the 6 stud design and paper thin gasket
88 and up were the most reliable due to steel crank bosses and a 7 stud head. They now use bronze bosses in some applications.
All motors are weak on the small rod end and a special bearing needs to be inserted to make it better
I have priced out what it would take to do an 87 motor (cause I want the most power) and to make it "honda" reliable you are looking at approx. $1300.00. Quote was from Tudor racing.
Suspension was really poor on all of them, thus you see all the elka suspension kits on EBAY for these machines...approx $1000.00
The rear swinger is the worst design I have ever seen and I have only found one aftermarket company, metal tech; unless you get super lucky and find a duncan or lonestar used swinger than hasn't had the crap beat out of it. Metaltech carrier is extra and so is powder...$1000.00
Dr. Q makes the best pipe for these but get ready to bust out another, yep, $600.00

Depending on where you look, you can pick them up for around 2-4K. It will be a 6K machine when you are done.

On the plus side, its the rowdiest damn 2 stroke motor on the planet shoved into an ATV. Two stroke power with a four stroke grunt.....its like strapping a rocket to your couch. Oh and they have a great security system....no one can start them. Don't believe me...go watch youtube.

oile
08-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Very true yaegerb the are hard to start until you figure them out. When I first got mine it was easier to pull start it then kick it but now I can get fired up with 2 kicks.

onformula1
08-14-2015, 03:57 PM
The 250r is superior, If you dump thousands into the Zilla to fix all the issues it still won't beat a 250r ovarall, but will be a bit faster, equal money in both the 250r will win hands down.

Checkout Dirtwheels, August 2014

BDT370 VS. Duncan Zilla

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

oile
08-14-2015, 04:06 PM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://dirtwheelsmag.com/home-page/honda-250r-vs-suzuki-quadzilla-500&ved=0CDQQFjAFahUKEwi7nP6cr6nHAhWWEpIKHWNyBBg&usg=AFQjCNHaQQnf2TZs9AlCtviWhls-yusbxg&sig2=cp-IapZH43z0x1oUeaVNiA

HairyJR
08-14-2015, 04:14 PM
What condition are they in, plastics, seat, paint and or wheels/tires. I own both and as mentioned by others the overall better quad would be the TRX250R. I'm a fourstroke guy and love the Quadzilla for its torque feel, like a tractor, but don't like the additional heavy weight. So many aftermarket parts available and money spent on the 250R can be recovered later on during resale.....bigger market.

"HJ" 219934 :beer

RIDE-RED 250r
08-14-2015, 04:24 PM

Given the criteria, I too would recommend the TRX. No disrespect for the legendary 'Zilla from me whatsoever, and I too would like to own one at some point. But when talking about old school 2-stroke performance ATV's, I don't think any other machine comes close in terms of a wide variety of aftermarket support with parts and mods.. The Banshee being about the only exception that comes to mind.

Reliability is entirely a matter of how good one is with their maintenance.

Low maintenance?? These are high performance, 2-stroke race machines. Low maintenance is not their strong suite.

jlucero
08-14-2015, 04:37 PM
I would definitely say that for the things you mentioned(Speed, reliability, low maintenence, and in expensive parts) the 250r is the superior bike. The zilla probably has a little more on the speed side, but depending on what you're doing, the ridability of the 250r will make it faster. As mentioned above, the handling on the zilla is just about the worst, so without some good aftermarket suspension, they aren't that great to ride. My vote is 250r for sure!

atc007
08-14-2015, 07:02 PM
Very true yaegerb the are hard to start until you figure them out. When I first got mine it was easier to pull start it then kick it but now I can get fired up with 2 kicks.

Betcha a dollar you can't :( :lol::naughty:

atc007
08-14-2015, 07:09 PM
I will agree with all here about the R, but ME? Give me the Zilla :). They are just one heck of a fun ride,no way around that. And they are not all grenades that need thousands put into them to be "national ready". Just make sure the Zilla IS a 89, round top A arms,not square,and a 7 stud head,not 6. The difference power wise from 87 to a newer one is absolutely unnoticeable. 87's also have weak frames, check behind the A arms and especially under the engine cradle back under the swingarm. Both of these bikes you're considering can need a pile of money dumped in them immediately. Do your best to really look them over or take a knowledgeable friend. Or better yet, swing them by a reputable dealer,and watch the owners eyes pop as the tech points out everything they need :)

onformula1
08-15-2015, 01:24 AM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://dirtwheelsmag.com/home-page/honda-250r-vs-suzuki-quadzilla-500&ved=0CDQQFjAFahUKEwi7nP6cr6nHAhWWEpIKHWNyBBg&usg=AFQjCNHaQQnf2TZs9AlCtviWhls-yusbxg&sig2=cp-IapZH43z0x1oUeaVNiA

Thanks, oile
I was on my phone and couldn't find it.

If I was one of the shops in that article I would not be very happy. :lol:

If you get the Zilla Hall's Precision Racing in Phoenix, AZ builds the trickest Zilla parts around, IMHO ask for Jerry Hall. Note- he will probably tell you somethings you don't want to hear. :lol:

Racer-X
08-15-2015, 07:55 AM
Quadzilla all day. The old saying, There's no substitute for cubic inches also applies here. Even the 370cc kit is childsplay compared to the 500. People saying that the 250 can run with with a 500 need their head examined- or they're just jealous trying to talk up their bikes. Even if the 250 got the jump off the line while you were sleeping youre still gonna gun him down on the big end. So its a few pounds heavier, boo hoo, man up!! Reliability? No race machine or car has reliability as a strong suit. Your maintainance is your reliability. Anyway, this is what sums it up in my popinion. Let's just say that you were lining up to drag race or do a few laps....then you look over your shoulder to size up the competition......now would you rather your opponent be riding the 250 or the 500? Yeah, Thats what I thought. Now go get that quadzilla son . The Zilla is a legend! The 250 is just another common dime a dozen 250 you can find anywhere. Its the exact same scenario of a kx250 vs a kx500. I would say the 250 could maybe hit 80 mph on its best day but the kx500 will hit 120+ mph. I would call that more than just a bit faster wouldn't you?

cochran
08-15-2015, 08:43 AM
I have owned them both. My zilla was an 87 which made the most power of all years. My TRX was an 88. Obviously the zilla made more power. It is huge in comparison to the TRX. The after market support isn't there for the zilla. The aftermarket support for the TRX is endless. The TRX with a 370 kit eats that zilla. One can't compare the kx500 and the zilla motor 5 speed vs 6 speed. 120mph on a zilla? I would love to see that. Bottom line is if you want something unique with little aftermarket support, poor handling, weak frames, go with the zilla. It does have old school cool. However, if it was me I would go with the TRX all day. They can be made to go faster, have superior handling, and parts are cheap.

oldskool83
08-15-2015, 09:56 AM
you do know a zilla motor bolts into a trx250r right....make the chose simple trx500r.

RIDE-RED 250r
08-15-2015, 09:02 PM
So Racer-x, you don't think a 50+hp 250r can be built????!!! LMAO!!!

It's actually not all that difficult. 14 hp more than stock can be pretty easily done with a 330 or larger big bore.

'Zilla is cool for sure, but it certainly CAN be out-done by a lowly 250r.

RUNMEDOWN
09-25-2015, 03:55 PM
I had a Zilla, it was a monster both in terms of power and problems. They can be made to be reliable but it will take deep pockets. The times mine ran well it was amazing, like "Arm stretching Amazing" the rest of the time it was a problem. It comes down to what you want to use it for; it is big so it makes things sketchy on tight trails. For wide open areas nothing with touch it, 250r will not come close, Banshees will not come close, it is the King for a reason. Also parts are hard to find. Just my .02

Racer-X
09-25-2015, 10:33 PM
Hey ride red 250r.....what? A 250 can't be built? I said no such thing. Don't put words in my mouth and keep my name out of yours! You can build up a riding lawnmower if you want to. Stock for stock( which they are and which he's asking opinions on) the zilla will dust it. The zilla kicks butt and that's my opinion. If you don't like it then just keep it to yourself like I do with my opinion about you. PS I actually know full well about a built R. I do have the ESR kit on my R and no it doesn't have the power or torque a zilla has. I'll say it again......there's no substitute for square inches when your talking raw power and speed.

RIDE-RED 250r
09-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Hey "Racer X"... I don't usually feed trolls but you and all of your big talk are irresistible...

First of all, I put no words in your mouth. They were already there, your words, not mine. Go back and re-read your post (before you edit it please) and amidst all of the big talk of people having their heads examined and what not you will see what you said and what I was opining on. Apparently you don't have a very well done 370 if a stock Zilla crushes it.. But whatever, that's beside the point.

Secondly, you don't get to tell me to do with my opinions any more than I can tell you what to do with yours. BY all means, feel free to give me your opinion of me..as if it matters coming from the likes of you. I mean seriously, I took issue with your bold words and OK, I ribbed you a little bit.. And now you post the above tripe and pass judgement on me for daring to disagree with you?? Get over yourself.

And lastly, it sure took you long enough to come up with that oh so well worded rebuttal... What's it been, a month almost???

One last bit of advice and you can take it or leave it..your choice.. You need to calm down a bit.. Nobody around here likes a blowhard, and that's exactly how you come off.

Have a great day!