PDA

View Full Version : Newb from MD

mdmike
08-14-2015, 04:19 PM
Hey guys, new guy here from MD.

Not entirely sure what happened over the last couple months or so, but I got bit by the 3 wheeler bug bad. I've had dirt bikes and 4 wheelers over the years, but never a trike. I started casually looking for a machine to tinker with, and I had a couple different machines follow me home. The first was an 86' 250SX that belonged to a friend of a friend. She sat outside for most of her life, and the only thing holding the tank together was the rust in it :lol: As rough as it looks, all it took was a carb cleaning and a new battery and the old girl fired right up! I was surprised how great the engine sounded and it didn't smoke a bit:

The SX got the ball rolling, but I knew I wanted something a little sportier than that. As luck would have it, a buddy of mine said he'd take the SX off my hands, so I started looking around again. I lucked into a good deal on a 200X that needs a good bit of work, but runs/rides and has all the important stuff to make a nice little machine (straight forks/working brakes/rust free tank):

So, I spent a good bit of time on here researching the 200X and seeing what other folks had done with theirs. While researching, my eye kept wandering to pics of other member's 350X's and I couldn't shake the desire to have one. I quickly came to the conclusion that the 350X is a very elusive machine, and if one does pop up for sale, its either way overpriced or its gone almost instantly. I had expanded my Craigslist searches to ridiculous distances in search of one when a trike popped up about 3 hours from home up in PA. I called the owner the second I saw it, and luckily he hadn't sold it yet. 6 1/2 hours of driving later, this bad boy is now residing in my garage:

Its an 85 and it runs awesome. Other than the previous owner doing a new cam chain, the motor is stock internally. It has a Uni filter and DG slip on pipe as well. It has replacement Maier rear fenders, a new seat cover, and Maier "super scoops" but the tank is original (painted red), and the front fender is stock. The frame has been gusseted as well. Ripping around my yard just puts a smile on my face and I can't wait to put some trail miles on it here soon.

Now, on to the main reason I think I got so wound up about 3 wheelers in the first place is my buddy Mark's street legal 650X:

Thats right, this thing is STREET LEGAL!! It started life as an XR 650L. It has a custom made rear swing arm to mount to the motorcycle frame in the front, use the stock 650 shock, and accept all 250R components in the rear. He cut the original motorcycle sub frame off the bike and had a 350X frame section welded/gusseted so he could use the 350x seat and plastics. The front triple clamps are from a Tecate and were milled out to fit the stock 650 forks. As luck would have it, the stock Tecate front axle and wheel worked with the 650 forks. It is inspected and insured in the state of PA as a "trike". He built the machine about 14 years ago and actually had a little blurb in the back of a Dirt Wheels magazine. It sat in his garage for quite a while before he brought it back out recently and got it on the road again. This pic was taken in my driveway about a week ago. I totally blame him for getting me addicted to 3 wheelers! :lol:

1ATC650X
08-26-2015, 08:03 PM
Big Mike, Thanks again for the pics and kind words on my ATC650X! Funny to see another get hooked on 3 wheelers. Let everybody know what you think of the king of the hill , your 350X.

Madman Racing
12-20-2015, 11:19 PM
What part of Md are you from? I'm in Frederick County.

Louis Mielke
12-21-2015, 09:46 AM
Good to meet more people from MD! Our state sucks for riding but there are plenty of good folks here!

mdmike
12-26-2015, 12:13 PM
What part of Md are you from? I'm in Frederick County.

I'm over here in Carroll County, not too far from you. I'm about a mile from the PA line below Hanover.

mdmike
12-26-2015, 12:15 PM
Good to meet more people from MD! Our state sucks for riding but there are plenty of good folks here!

Indeed sir! Thanks again for the 200X parts Louis! Now that I've got my hot rod project almost wrapped up, I'm looking forward to getting back on my trike projects.