PDA

View Full Version : Newbie '84 Tri-Zinger owner, carb question...

osuhog
08-17-2015, 10:50 AM
Just bought an '84 Zinger on Craigslist for my 9 year old son. I've researched quite a bit about it. Already drilled out the plugged up exhaust, put an air filter back on it (previous owner was running it with an open carb!), installed a new petcock as the original was frozen on RES, degreased & power washed it, drained the old crankcase oil that was contaminated with fuel & who knows what else, filled it with fresh oil, etc.

So, here's my question. What's 1, 2 & 3 I have labeled here on the carb?

The original oil injection system has been removed, BTW. I assume that's what is plugged up with a screw on my #3 spot.

Thanks for the help!

osuhog
08-20-2015, 12:25 PM
Anyone know about this carb & these spots I have labeled?

Thanks!

muthey
08-20-2015, 11:01 PM
#1 is the oil injection, #2 is the fuel in, #3 is a breather hose for the carb and should not be plugged.

osuhog
08-20-2015, 11:25 PM
#1 is the oil injection, #2 is the fuel in, #3 is a breather hose for the carb and should not be plugged.

Thanks muthey! So, how is it running without anything hooked to the fuel in? Lol.

muthey
08-21-2015, 07:25 PM
fuel left in the bowl ha bet you didn't expect that answer

osuhog
08-21-2015, 07:44 PM
Lol. There's actually another spot where the fuel from the gas tank is entering the carb. I can ride it for 5 minutes or so & it runs pretty good, but then starts bogging after a while. Then can do the same thing the next day. Runs good until it warms up basically. I'm getting there, just gonna take some time! :)

osuhog
08-21-2015, 07:46 PM
220300Here's a pic of where fuel enters from the gas tank. Hope you can tell. Sorry it's so dirty. :)

osuhog
08-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Front of the bike is to the left in that pic. It's the tube going into the carb closer to the front of the Nike than the open tube. Thanks again!

osuhog
08-21-2015, 10:39 PM
Just took it off the bike & cleaned it up. Here it is off the bike. Any more ideas? I'd sure like to get everything hooked up right. Thanks!220307

muthey
08-22-2015, 11:47 AM
I hate to tell you this but that is not the original carb for that bike I have a couple of them and will get you some pics in a little while, and will also get you some pics of the inside and propper jetting for it as well.

muthey
08-22-2015, 02:01 PM
here are your pics with descriptions, I am thinking that carb is off of a 125 or 175 myself. 220315220316220317220318220319 the original main jet is a #90 and the pilot jet is a #40, however better results are with an #87 main jet

muthey
08-22-2015, 02:03 PM
if you are going to run the carb you have you will need to open it up and check to see which inlet is actually to the float, that will be you fuel inlet, and then the other two are breathers, and the oil injection is the same one I identified for you.

osuhog
08-24-2015, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the help muthey, I really appreciate it! Makes sense, I knoew something wasn't adding up right. lol! It runs pretty good wide open right now, but bogs at low throttle, especially once it's completely warmed up. The only way it starts is with the throttle pushed fully open. Then I have to take off right after starting it & it's good to go, as long as I don't shut it off. hen it has to sit for 10 minutes or more before I can get it started again.

Anyway, I'll decide what to do at this point. Again, really appreciate your time!

muthey
08-24-2015, 04:03 PM
no problem if you need an original carb body let me know I have a couple of them or you can by one off of ebay for 20$ You will need to change the jets and choke plunger though, I found on the minky one I bought I had to use a plunger with a pointed end to even get mine to start, then changed the primary jet as it was too rich. They are set up just like a oem one though. Are you running the airbox on your zinger?

osuhog
08-25-2015, 09:27 AM
Awesome! Well, I have an original airbox, but it won't fit the mouth of the carb. lol. That should have tipped me off. :) So, I just got an Emgo clamp on filter from Bike Bandit & have been running that. I should mention, my kids LOVE this thing. They have had SO MUCH fun riding it. I keep telling them it will get even better when I get it running right. :)

SO, thanks for your offer. Believe it or not though, the bike actually came with a spare PARTS bike. I went out & checked, & it looks to have an original carb on it. I'm gonna pull that off & clean it up real well & see where that gets me. Where would I go about getting the correct jets for it before trying it on the bike? Or should I just run the jets that are in it for now & see how it goes?

Thanks again!