PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still ride BMX bikes? What do you have? What did you have? What did you want?

onformula1
08-20-2015, 02:14 AM
I still ride BMX bikes for fun and exercise and my dogs love to chase me around, I have to put them away in the summer because it's too hot, but I do bring them camping up north in the mountains and play around on some tracks or parks. It's fun to race around with the kids, but I often get "How do you do that?" or "I think your older than my dad"...LOL!

BMX bikes I still own from the old days.

1984 ish Redline PL20- GT flip flop hubs, Araya rims, Odyssey XL 6 bolt neck, Redline bars, Odyssey center pull rear brake, Redline triple cage pedals, Tange GT aluminum three piece cranks, Redline laid back seatpost, Viscount Aero seat, Pro neck sprockets.

1989 ish Robinson Pro XL- GT flip flop hubs, Sun rims, Robinson XL neck, Power Flight bars (Curved grip ends) Shimano center pull, rear brake, Shimano platform pedals, GT billet aluminum three piece cranks, GT laid back seatpost, GT seat, Pro neck sprockets.

Early 1990's Schwinn Predator BMX- Mostly stock, blue frame with all black components. (Loaner bike, LOL)

Had, but not anymore-

1979 Team Murray factory team bike.

Early 80's very heavy Mongoose BMX bike with the stock aluminum casted mags,,, total pig.

1984 Kuwahara Nova BMX bike, rare, miss that one.

1990 Robinson XL BMX bike, all black on black, miss that one, too.

BMX Bikes I wanted & still want.

SE PK Ripper, SE Quadangle, Racing Inc., Hy Tech, Elf Pro XL

atcmatt
08-20-2015, 07:14 AM
I've got a free agent warbird frame, with all the good dirt jumping gear on it but have not ridden it in ages. Used to live for it back in the day!

YTZ drew
08-20-2015, 08:12 AM
I rode a lot when I was younger, now I just chase the kids around when they go on bike rides. My neighbor at the time worked for the DPW, and he brought me home a Hutch Pro Raider they found abandoned somewhere. I loved that bike, added trickstar forks with the built in pegs to it, and rode the heck out of it. Gave it to my cousin when I got older, wish I still had it. Now I just have a mid-90's Dyno I found at a yard sale, and an old Miyata 10-speed grampa machine.

Jed
08-20-2015, 08:41 AM
2007 Haro, I used to race at the TC Chery bombs in grade school when I out grew my bike I was done, money troubles so my parents could not get not me a new bike.

83ATC185
08-20-2015, 08:55 AM
I too had a mongoose, it was red with black wheels and dang near impossible to ride up long hills. It had to weigh 50 pounds and it was geared very low. I put many miles on it as a kid tearing up our neighborhood. I haven't ridden in a while but my scale will tell you i probably should.

Mosh
08-20-2015, 12:24 PM
I had the old Team Murray BMX

2 84 Mongoose Californians Black Pads with the Pro class rims(Remember they had tin tube guards that you could flip from gold to black or red to blue)....Looking back I should have kept those..They are worth stupid money now. ( Yeah and I have RAD on DVD and watch it about twice a year) Would LOVE to get my hands on a unmolested Black and chrome one again....

A 87 or 88 General Hustler Pro..POS I bought with paper route money and snapped the frame in 3 months

95 GT vertigo. Bought it new.

I had a 88-89 Mongoose Californian pro that is in the pic below..

I still have a MINT 90 GT mach one that you can also see in the pic..That was before I cleaned it up

And the Wife has a 2000 Dyno Zone still..

Plus ther was a handful of Diamondbacks, Predators, etc that I went through for a few seconds at time..Traded..yadda yadda..Never did get a Hutch or Haro

I need to get better pics of the GT.
I don't ride too much anymore. Just got em for nostalgia and horsing around. Somewhere I have old pics of some street riding on the vertigo when I was 19 or 20.
When I was younger I rode everywhere as much as I could. I literally wore out one of the 84 californinans. The frame cracked in 3 spots after about 5 years of beating it to death.

Also did a brief stint of boarding too..Had a few Powell Peralta's Hawk models, some Vison's and the old NASH executioner with its nasty, bad ass Napoleon Dynamite, neon dragon graphics painted on a piece of flimsy cheap particle board..Broke that damn thing in half..

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/BMX/DSCF1218.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/cosmicquads/media/BMX/DSCF1218.jpg.html)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/BMX/DSCF1219.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/cosmicquads/media/BMX/DSCF1219.jpg.html)

yaegerb
08-20-2015, 12:47 PM
Started out on a Mongoose, then went to a Dyno Slammer. Always wanted a free agent but couldn't afford it.

barnett468
08-20-2015, 06:12 PM
They really didn’t have BMX type bikes until close to the time I quit riding bikes, so I would ride my regular big bike in the fields around our house where we made trails and small jumps . . The only small frame bike I ever had which was near the time that I quit riding bikes, was a Schwinn model called an Orange Crate . .They had springs on the seat posts for rear shocks, a springer front shock, front and rear drum brakes and 5 speeds with a shifter on the frame in front of the seat.

The only real BMX bike I ever had was one I bought at a car swap meet around 16 years ago . . It's a showroom new, mid 80's model, and only cost me $50.00 . . It’s called a GT and has a chrome frame . . They were built by a friend of mine named Gary Turner which is one of the reasons I bought it . . He just used his initials for the name of the company . . He started out building them in his garage, and one of the guys I worked with in Kawi R and D whom was a machinist and fabricator in the machine shop, did welding and fabrication for him as a second job . . He eventually sold the company to Schwinn several years ago.

I just looked on Ebay for fun and some of these BMX bikes are stupid money . . Two people are asking over $2500.00 for some of the old GT models so I guess I got a good deal . . The Orange Crates are over $3,000.00.

This is an Orange Crate . . They also made a Purple, Green and Yellow Crate.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDE2WDUwMA==/z/avMAAOSwPcVVlHEB/$_57.JPG?set_id=8800005007

tripledog
08-20-2015, 07:13 PM
If I am correct, Schwinn produced the Orange Krate, Grape Krate (purple), Apple Krate (red), Lemon Peeler (yellow), Cotton Picker (white), Pea Picker (green), and the Grey Ghost (silver). All were the same bike except for the color scheme. I used to put forks from a 26" bike on my 20" spider bikes (bmx bikes hadn't been introduced yet, a Huffy Thunder Road was considered to be a radical new design), and swap the "banana" seat for a 10 speed seat. I could wheelie those bikes for well over 1/4 mile at a time. The good old days!

Troyg25
08-20-2015, 07:32 PM
Used to ride a 96 condor till I had it stolen almost 20 years ago. Then started to slowly get out of it. Until I had kids I slowly started buying mid school bikes and parts.

Current rides

1998 Hoffman George / Chrome 1 1/8"
1997 Hoffman condor / Black 1"
1997 Hoffman big daddy with super forks / Blue 1"

George

Kept a Hoffman banner in a safe place over the years but never sold it. Been offered big money for it but I just can't come to terms with it and sell it.

onformula1
08-23-2015, 03:54 AM
Used to ride a 96 condor till I had it stolen almost 20 years ago. Then started to slowly get out of it. Until I had kids I slowly started buying mid school bikes and parts.

Current rides

1998 Hoffman George / Chrome 1 1/8"
1997 Hoffman condor / Black 1"
1997 Hoffman big daddy with super forks / Blue 1"

George

Kept a Hoffman banner in a safe place over the years but never sold it. Been offered big money for it but I just can't come to terms with it and sell it.

Matt Hoffman- Because only a Honda CR with make you jump higher!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSORjIheenY

aldochina
08-30-2015, 09:16 PM
cool bikes men! Bmx was awsome in the 80's. We always rode something, our pack used to cruise the neiborhoods screwing around. man those were fun days. I had a flashy streethawk or something from plaines for awhile. My prize was the green 86 haro freestyler master. Was stolen unfortunately right out of my buddys front yard in the middle of the day while we were swimming out back along with his dyno comp which was recovered. Just a few months back i picked up a redline cheap off craigslist and built it up a bit for my 8 yr old. nice bike. Found a cool old 84 murray for 15 bucks been using that to run the dog.

fabiodriven
08-31-2015, 10:54 AM
The last time I rode a bicycle it wasn't as fun as I remembered it being, haha, so I don't ride anymore. However growing up I was riding everywhere all the time. I had some great bikes.

My first good one was a Diamond Back BMX with 5 spoke Skyway mags. The 5 spoke Skyways were far stiffer than the much more common GT mags.

Then I got a Hutch freestyle bike, that was great as well.

The last good bike I had was a GT performer. It was very heavy in comparison to the Hutch and the Diamond back, but a nice bike just the same.

There were a lot of other bikes sprinkled in there but those were the the best I had.

Dirtcrasher
09-01-2015, 06:07 PM
I had a chrome KUWAHARA, CW bars, Diamond Back gooseneck, OURY grips, snake belly tires, Sugino brakes, bullseye hubs, I forget who made the "3 piece" cranks but they were something like 150$ I had 3 paper routes to be able to buy all those parts. Also had an aluminum framed REDLINE. It was "Yesterdays Cycle" or "Yester years" that I could COD my parts with, I sure loved that big brown truck!! Your ranking all across the US was in that magazine.

Amazing that back then it was so easy to get together with your friends without a cell phone!! How did we pull that off? lol

I raced allot in Taunton, the Catabia brothers (SP?) donated the machines and dirt for the track but I'd ride down to the track on Davis St. near everyday to practice. I actually qualified for the Nationals and got 4th place with big ranking guys; Still have the trophy....

I can't remember all the parts name now. I sold it to put a head gasket on my 79 RM100, lol.

Same thing though, I threw out all my gear and shirts (just like the trikes) when I got more into my XR75.

Does anyone remember the Schwinn Sting?? Not Stingray. They were the majority of bikes on the track. I haven't ever found one on EBAY, and I've looked many times! It was chrome and I think it cost my buddy Larry 200$ just for the frame and fork.

El Camexican
09-01-2015, 07:03 PM
I never owned a "good" bicycle. My tricycle was a used POS with a bent and busted front wheel that was so small I would get lapped by the other kids as we raced around the freshly poured concrete pads of the soon to be garage floors of our neighbors.

The my dad bought me a brand new emerald green Pegasus (likely from Sears) but we lost the special bolt that should have been used to mount the "boys" bar, so I had to ride around like a pansy on a "girls" bike till my Dad found an abandoned singe speed bicycle in the ditch on #9 highway, turned it into the cops and then got it back when no one claimed it.

Thinking back it may have fallen off a garbage truck, but none the less owning it taught me how to true a wheel at the age of 7. By then everyone else had 3 speeds with sealed rear hubs, banana seats and sissy bars with some sort of pompom things sticking out of the bars and chrome bells. As bad as I wanted all that back them, I glad it never happened as I might have been writing this from the comfort of my boyfriends lap today.

When I was 9 years old I got a 5 speed (everyone else had 10 speeds by then) and the tires were smaller than the 10 speeds, so whenever we would race I'd be dead last cranking as fast as I could. I did find that if I could get in front of some of the kids that were teasing me from their 10 speeds and rub my small back tire against their large front tire they would crash hard. This keep teasing down to a minimum.

My little brother ended up with a cool looking, but ultra cheap black BMX (in name only) bike when I was about 11. Just like the Super Beetle he bought when he was 16 I destroyed it during the testing process. The most memorable outing being a plywood ramp that was set up on a stack of old car tires with more car tires in front of it that we were attempting to clear. With each successful jump the tires were more farther away from the ramp. If you clipped a tire you were out. It came down to Kelsey (RIP) and me for the bragging rights. Kelsey had a Sears bicycle that looked like a motorcycle and had full suspension courtesy of the guys that made the springs for Bic pens at the time. I have no doubt it weighed over 100#, but it was still the envy of all because it had a hollow gas tank. So I cleared the tire on my run and poor Kelsey came up shorty and put his front wheel into the tire and went over the bars, broke his collar bone and more tragically bent the forks of his Sears BMX bike. We all ran away the moment his face hit the gravel, so how long he laid there crying and bleeding before his mom found him is unknown.

About that time all the bearings and spokes started to let go on my brothers bike, so I gave it back to him and started saving up for a 1979 YZ80. Once I had that the 5 speed bike sat in the garage until the DMV decided they had erroneously issued me a drivers license and asked for it back. This license misunderstanding (right VS privilege) thing happened numerous times from the age of 16 to when I left Canada, but as it relates to bicycles I found that peddling to the bar on a small worn out 5 speed was hard enough, but getting a bar babe on the seat and riding it upright while intoxicated was darn near impossible, so taxis became my secondary form of transportation when my drivers license was in the shop.

Fast forward to 2006 and I decided to buy a decent 15 speed in Houston. I chained it to an eyebolt in by truck box the day I bought it and in the morning it was gone from the hotel parking lot. They had climed under the truck and removed the double lock nuts off the eye bolt without setting off my motion sensor!

I figure that was God's way of saying I didn't need to exercise, so I left that notion be till 2 years ago when I bought what looked like a bike that might last a while, but the Chinese tires cracked to pieces in less that 3 months in the shade. I can take a hint, so from now on its gas driven wheels for me.

Red Rider
09-01-2015, 07:39 PM
I had a Mongoose as well, back in the day. Yellow frame, blue anodized Pro Neck II, blue anodized V-bars, Ashtabula crank, blue alloy wheels, blue Snakebelly tires, chrome Redline forks, and a blue lightweight plastic seat (that destroyed your ass if you sat on it for very long).