PDA

View Full Version : Big Red 250 with seized engine

dulle
08-20-2015, 07:17 PM
I have had the trike for about a year now. It has been great, really reliable. I have checked the oil, and thats about it. The guy I bought it from put a new timing chain into it, new spark plug, etc. A couple of days ago my wife said it died while she was driving, then couldn't get it started. I managed to get it started: kickstarting, b/c battery does not hold a charge. I drove it for a couple minutes and then when I tried to go up a hill it quit suddenly and was seized, I couldn't kick start it in neutral. I checked the starter reduction gears, took them out and they look fine. I guess my next step is to check the head. I opened up the front valve cover, and didn't see much, but it did smell a little burnt, and a little like gas. One other thing that is weird is that it seems to roll back down hill a lot easier now in gear, as if something isn't connected, but when you try to push it forward it is totally locked up. Any help would be appreciated. What do you think it is? I haven't looked into the spark plug hole yet either...I should do that.
Taking off the head, you just remove the fuel tank, intake tube, and bolts? How would I check the timing chain? Maybe that broke and got caught in the gears?
I think I can go without it through the fall, maybe will have time to rebuild it in the winter, if it is just the top end.
thanks,
James

dulle
08-26-2015, 08:53 AM
When I push the bike forward in a forward gear it is totally seized, and freewheeling when I push it back. In reverse it is totally seized pushing backwards, and freewheeling pushing forward. Does anyone know what this could be? I think I should take off the right side cover, to look at kickstarter gear. I have to drain the oil first right? How does this cover seal?

strykerlover
08-26-2015, 08:55 AM
Is it locked up while in neutral. If so then it has to do with the rear differential or universal joint. If not then it's the engine.

dulle
08-27-2015, 08:11 PM
The bike rolls in neutral both forward and back, but kickstarter is seized no matter what gear it is in.