PDA

View Full Version : Wiring nightmare

brandondavis258
08-22-2015, 10:07 AM
Hello. I have a 1984 atc 200es. I have been working on this bike for about 4 months and I am still not getting any spark. I have changed pretty much every single part on this thing that has anything to do with spark and I am still not getting any. I have used 3 different cdi boxes so I know that's not the issue and the other parts came off of a bike that is running. I have not changed the stater though. That's next on the list. Does anyone have any other suggestions. Thank you all in advance.

Devilsclaw
08-22-2015, 10:11 AM
The kill switch isn't on or defective is it? That stupid thing is a cause of much frustration

brandondavis258
08-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Nope. I had it apart and made sure it wasn't corroded or anything. I even changed the inhibiter relay.

86125m
08-22-2015, 11:21 AM
That does not mean the kill switch is necessarily working. But have you checked the spark advancer because if the springs in there break or the whole advancer is broken the bike will not have spark. And not run.

brandondavis258
08-22-2015, 11:39 AM
The springs were broken. I had a spare, but to be sure I took the one off of my 1983 and put on it and put the spare on the 83. It still runs, but the 84 does not. I am not even getting a hint of spark from the bike.

coolpool
08-22-2015, 11:17 PM
Lost spark on my trusty 84. Took a pile of time with an ohm meter to troubleshoot and turns out it was the $20 ignition stator. Thats after I bought a cdi and ignition coil. Changing that one will require a bit of soldering. How about the reverse switch and neutral switch, rule them out yet?

brandondavis258
08-23-2015, 08:21 AM
The wiring harness is in pretty rough shape. The neutral light comes on when in neutral, but he reverse sensor isn't even hooked up.

brandondavis258
08-23-2015, 08:34 AM
The ignition stator is behind the recoil starter, right? I have not checked it yet. I have an extra one, but I'm not sure if its functional or not, and they are $100+ online. I cannot even find a wiring harness that's in decent shape. I paid $75 for the bike, but the motor was blown up in it. It is in excellent condition. The only blemishes are a very small crack in the front fender and the support bar on the front rack is bent. The bike deserves to have the time and money put into it, but I am just getting frustrated. I am a diesel mechanic, so I am very mechanically inclined. I can rewire almost anything on a peterbilt, but a 3 wheeler with 7 different wires is getting the best of me.

Chopsaw
08-23-2015, 09:33 AM
I went through the same thing . Look for the simple things first . Mine had more than one problem . Kill switch was one of them . Blown inline fuse left side under seat , and a bad wire connection .
Dont rule out the spark plug . I'm sure you have changed it , but alot of cranking / no start can foul the plug . have a few on hand .

I was a auto mechanic for 10 years , and ya , a 200es almost got the best of me also . You will get it .

chop

brandondavis258
08-23-2015, 11:21 AM
I am going to try and find a whole new wire harness and go from there. It's in pretty bad shape. The kill switch is good, and I have replaced all the he old glass fuses with more modern mini fuses.

coolpool
08-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Yes the ignition stator is begind the recoil along with the lighting coil. The eBay ones are trying to sell the whole thing. You need one small part. I got mine from Royal Distributing for less than $20. Hope the link works, it's on the bottom of the page. http://www.royaldistributing.com/Catalogues/Main/2015-Spring-Fall/#159/z I'm sure they'll ship to the US. With the current exchange rate it'll cost you about $5.00 lol.

For what it's worth here's my post on my issue. Not sure you can see it being a new member. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/166272-Another-No-Spark-on-84-BR-200es-Lot-s-of-Troubleshooting-Included?highlight=200es+no+spark