PDA

View Full Version : 1957 Chevy

Mr. Clean
08-25-2015, 12:12 PM
Pretty cool timing on this one. About two months ago my Dad asked if I wanted his 1957 Bel Air Sports Sedan. Of course I said "YES" and it was delivered to me last Sunday. It was the first car I ever attempted to paint and along with my 1957 2 door hard top is how I learned to work on mechanical, paint body work etc, which has given me the skills to build trikes as well!!! My plans are to slowly clean it up and put it back to the stock colors (silver body/white top) and get a new silver black interior.

A little history on this car and by viewing the pics can tell this one has not had a hard life. My dad bought it from a guy in 1988 who got it with a house purchase, the original owner had passed and it was included. The lady was born in 1898 and bought the Chevy new and rarely drove it. Then in 88 Dad bought it for $2500, running and driving. The car had been painted red on the bottom, black in the middle and red on the top but retained the original interior (seat covers) and some recovered door panels as it still is today. As I mentioned the black paint job was my first attempt at painting a car. It came out terrible, but it did teach me how it should be done, and panel by panel I will get the correct colors back on it.

When my Dad bought it the odometer was showing 52K original miles!! The straight six, powerglide ran awesome and I drove it to high school while my 1957 2 door hardtop was getting rebuilt. It was last registered in 1996 and now has 64K original miles. You can see some of the red oxide primer on the floors and the trunk sports the original silver and the jacking instructions. This car has no radio, no clock, no power steering (aka ARMSTRONG Steering), no power brakes, no power anything. It has a vacuum windshield wiper motor and if you know anything about how vacuum works you know that is not ideal setup while accelerating in the rain :lol: The only accessory it did have was the windshield washer reservoir, which in their infinite wisdom was made of glass. The only way I knew it had it was the brackets to hold the glass jar.

I tried to crank it over by hand and its not budging, I poured some oil in the cylinders and will let it soak for a couple days and see what I can do to bring it back to life.

Sadly the day it was delivered I had to put one of my cats down due to cancer. That was when I decided to name it ROCKY and plan to get a plate for it.

bkm
08-25-2015, 12:33 PM
Sorry to hear about the Kitty, Mike. I'm sure this will one super cool crusier and would make an awesome ls 5.3 swap, unless of course you wanted it all original.

I would give anything to be able to get my dad's 67 Galaxie 500 back.

coolpool
08-25-2015, 12:49 PM
Sorry to hear about Rocky, sad day for sure!

That will be a nice project to work on; especially with the history behind it. I'm surprised it's locked up just from sitting? Diesel fuel seems to work good for loosening up motors. If you pull the distributor you could prime the oil galleries with a drill and flat tip screwdriver. Might work and can't hurt.

barnett468
08-25-2015, 05:48 PM
ths is the biggest parts mfg and supplier in the world for those . . they frequently have sales . . if you have a resale license, you might get a discount.

https://www.danchuk.com/

those cars often dont charge well at idle if they still have the generator and the charging lite will come on, but the voltage regulator is adjustable.

oile
08-25-2015, 05:51 PM
Just seeing if you need some 57 Chevy hubcaps I use to own 3 57 Chevy's oh I also might have that fender trim also if you need it.

Mr. Clean
08-25-2015, 05:57 PM
Just seeing if you need some 57 Chevy hubcaps I use to own 3 57 Chevy's oh I also might have that fender trim also if you need it.

Sweet! Do any of those hubcaps come with the spinners? Dad found the fender spear in a closet after we shipped the 57, but thanks!!

oile
08-25-2015, 06:20 PM
Nope all my hubcaps are stock belair ones without spinners

90guy
08-25-2015, 08:57 PM
Really sweet to see this thing in the close pictures! Really nice looking ride you got there! I cant wait to see it cleaned up slowly!

6speedthumper
08-29-2015, 02:24 PM
One of the best right there! Car looks very solid. Count your blessings, because rust repair sucks! I'd love to see it kept a 6cy (I've grown to love them, a lot), I get many compliments on having kept the 6 in my Javelin. Of course, it's not stock, haha. What are your plans?

hublake
08-29-2015, 05:02 PM
Nice to look under the hood and be able to see the spark plugs !!!!!

bkm
09-02-2015, 12:52 PM
Who you gonna have do the work around the filler neck?

Mr. Clean
09-02-2015, 02:22 PM
One of the best right there! Car looks very solid. Count your blessings, because rust repair sucks! I'd love to see it kept a 6cy (I've grown to love them, a lot), I get many compliments on having kept the 6 in my Javelin. Of course, it's not stock, haha. What are your plans?

I am going to paint the original two tone, silver body, white top. Going to get OEM repop seat covers in silver and black. I am going to leave the straight six, get split manifold and headers and dual exhaust. I want either a four speed or three on the tree or maybe near term a 3 speed automatic. The cast iron glide has to go. Swap the vacuum wiper motor with electric and lastly will be disc brakes up front with dual master cylinder.

Who you gonna have do the work around the filler neck?

HAHAHAHAAH!!!! :D Actually the gas tank and "filler neck" are removed and the filler neck has been blasted and painted. PICS to come later!!

bkm
09-02-2015, 03:00 PM
The filler is in the back of the fin on those correct?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Mr. Clean
09-02-2015, 03:03 PM
The filler is in the back of the fin on those correct?

YES!!! The left side of the fin you move the stainless left and it exposes the filler neck!!!

bkm
09-02-2015, 03:06 PM
My uncle had a 57 when I was a young lad. I thought I knew something equivalent to nuclear secrets when I would ask people if they could find where you filled the gas and they couldn't figure out where it was.lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ATC-Eric
09-03-2015, 01:28 PM
No way thats awesome. Sorry to hear about the kitty though.

And then there were 2.

6speedthumper
09-24-2015, 10:31 PM
I am going to paint the original two tone, silver body, white top. Going to get OEM repop seat covers in silver and black. I am going to leave the straight six, get split manifold and headers and dual exhaust. I want either a four speed or three on the tree or maybe near term a 3 speed automatic. The cast iron glide has to go. Swap the vacuum wiper motor with electric and lastly will be disc brakes up front with dual master cylinder.

HAHAHAHAAH!!!! :D Actually the gas tank and "filler neck" are removed and the filler neck has been blasted and painted. PICS to come later!!

Sweet! I love the old school stuff. I think Clifford still makes performance parts for the early Chevy I6. Have you given any thought to putting a T5 behind it? I know that it is easy to do behind the later I6 (they share the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the V8), but, I don't know about the earlier I6.

Ol Deuce
10-18-2015, 11:57 PM

!
Sweet build Mike!!! the 292 would rock n Roll !!!! talk to ya soon!!!!

Ol Deuce
10-24-2015, 01:21 AM
Mike I found this !!close to you!!223065223066223067

El Camexican
08-18-2020, 01:53 PM
Bumping bumping 1,2,3...

ATC King
08-24-2020, 06:44 PM
I've been an inline six fan since a teenager. I didn't want to raise a hood on my rides just to see another V8.

My 292 is sitting on the shop floor right now. I got it from a Massey Ferguson 'soy bean special' combine. It had the basics done during the rebuild, got a typical RV cam, Offenhauser 4bbl intake, headers, 600cfm Edelbrock, and electronic ignition. Backed by a TH350 and 3:73 gears, it ran well and had really good acceleration.

I definitely like seeing inline six's in old cars that would've came with them.

There was a recent Chevy 292 build on YouTube, where a really detailed build, with a turbo, made 376hp and 510lbs of torque at about 4,800 RPM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxaRGkqrhZU

I like my Ford 300 I6 too. It's got an Offenhauser intake, headers, 500cfm Edelbrock AVS2 carb, CDI (ignition), with straight pipes and Supertrapp discs on the ends.

Mr. Clean
08-28-2020, 09:15 PM
Bumping bumping 1,2,3...

I tried to upload a pic or two from my phone and they are upside down. Will get on the laptop soon.

I got it running and driving, instead of repaint I just wet sanded and buffed the 30 year old paint job, gives it a kind of cool weathered look. Rebuilt the front and rear suspension, and regretfully had a guy reupholster the seats and door panels, should have just bought an repop kit from Ciadellia. Fuel system brand new from tank to carb as well as cooling system.

Getting noise from the rear end and the battery died from sitting, while working on my newly acquired 1957 150 2 door sedan.

Pics coming later, oh and I now have a two post lift in my garage :)

El Camexican
08-28-2020, 10:33 PM
Awesome, looking forward to seeing it.

Mr. Clean
09-14-2020, 12:00 PM

:pics:
:beer

I hate the pic management on this software, pics are sideways, if you click on them they seem to be in the proper orientation.

Mr. Clean
09-14-2020, 12:37 PM

New toyz

ATC King
09-14-2020, 12:55 PM
235?

I was thinking it had the later inline series, until I seen the oil filter.

Looking on the Stovebolt site, I didn't see the cast headers there.
http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/
Do they still make them?

Mr. Clean
09-14-2020, 01:39 PM
235?

I was thinking it had the later inline series, until I seen the oil filter.

Looking on the Stovebolt site, I didn't see the cast headers there.
http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/
Do they still make them?

Yes, 235 engine.

I believe Speedway and others like speedway carry them. This project is on the backburner, working on the 150 currently with dual quad/muncie 4 speed setup body off build :)