PDA

View Full Version : 1981 Honda ATC 200s running too rich

Mississippi boy
08-28-2015, 10:08 AM
How do you make an engine run not as rich? I have read something about adjusting the float, also, how do you adjust the float height? :wondering:crazy:

Queef Chief
08-28-2015, 10:24 AM
there are several conditions that make a bike run rich.
Here are a few things that come to mind:
1)Choke not working properly
2)Dirty air filter
3) was it jetted for pipe and free flowing air filter, and now you're back to stock setup?
4) Carb needs cleaned due to air restriction in a circuit.
5) Is your plug fouled or too low of heat
6) Is the float sticking or out of adjustment(You touched on this one) (Personally,I have found the float sticking way more times than I've found it out of adjustment)

As you can see, there are several things that can be happening, and many more that didn't make my quick hit-list.
Please provide us with as much detail as you can, so we can help narrow things down.

I have a hunch that the carb just needs to be disassembled and cleaned.

Mississippi boy
08-28-2015, 10:58 AM
there are several conditions that make a bike run rich.
Here are a few things that come to mind:
1)Choke not working properly
2)Dirty air filter
3) was it jetted for pipe and free flowing air filter, and now you're back to stock setup?
4) Carb needs cleaned due to air restriction in a circuit.
5) Is your plug fouled or too low of heat
6) Is the float sticking or out of adjustment(You touched on this one) (Personally,I have found the float sticking way more times than I've found it out of adjustment)

As you can see, there are several things that can be happening, and many more that didn't make my quick hit-list.
Please provide us with as much detail as you can, so we can help narrow things down.

I have a hunch that the carb just needs to be disassembled and cleaned.

1) Choke is not stuck.
2) don't have the filter hooked up at the moment, it is free flowing.
3) What do you mean by this?
4) The carb has been thoroughly cleaned about 5 times and a new rebuild kit installed so it shouldn't be a problem.
5) I just cleaned the spark plug with sand paper and carb cleaner.
6) The float free moving, no friction, and the float is brand new.

But I'll probably pick up a new spark plug today for the heck of it.

jlucero
08-28-2015, 11:00 AM
Is everything on the bike stock?

Mississippi boy
08-28-2015, 11:02 AM
I have no idea. A friend of mine gave me the bike, it is a 19981 Honda ATC200s engine on a 1983 Honda ATC185s frame. Therefore I don't know all of what they swapped between the two lol

jlucero
08-28-2015, 11:06 AM
Gotcha. Well if you can, post some pictures.

Mississippi boy
08-28-2015, 11:08 AM
ok lol it's not in very good condition and I'm not going to put much, if any, money into cosmetics.

jlucero
08-28-2015, 11:35 AM
It's all good. I've personally never been one to worry too much about cosmetics as much as I care about ridability.

Queef Chief
08-28-2015, 12:19 PM
1) Choke is not stuck.
2) don't have the filter hooked up at the moment, it is free flowing.
3) What do you mean by this?
4) The carb has been thoroughly cleaned about 5 times and a new rebuild kit installed so it shouldn't be a problem.
5) I just cleaned the spark plug with sand paper and carb cleaner.
6) The float free moving, no friction, and the float is brand new.

But I'll probably pick up a new spark plug today for the heck of it.

What I meant by #3 was: did it have a performance pipe or Uni filter that may have made it run lean, and previous owner jetted larger to compensate.
It sounds like you've already addressed the areas I would have started.
Here is another idea. I bought a bike that ran really rich, and just assumed it was like the many before; just needing a good carb cleaning. I totally went through testing all the electrical, adjusted valves, cleaned carb a few times, everything I could think of. I could not make that bike run lean with anything I did.
Well one day I decided to tear the carb down one last time, and noticed that there was no main needle seat. Apparently when the previous owner blew out the carb with compressed air, and it blew this seat out too. Long story short, it ran like a champ after installing a new one.
Have you adjusted the mixture screw yet?

Mississippi boy
08-28-2015, 01:28 PM
I have messed with the mixture screw a very little bit... I don't know much about this stuff lol I just found out about how the mixture screw works.:lol: I will do a little bit more investigating and will see what I come up with.

Pics will be up shortly!

Mississippi boy
08-29-2015, 08:40 AM

Mississippi boy
08-29-2015, 09:00 AM
It's all good. I've personally never been one to worry too much about cosmetics as much as I care about ridability.

Mississippi boy
08-31-2015, 09:27 AM
What I meant by #3 was: did it have a performance pipe or Uni filter that may have made it run lean, and previous owner jetted larger to compensate.
It sounds like you've already addressed the areas I would have started.
Here is another idea. I bought a bike that ran really rich, and just assumed it was like the many before; just needing a good carb cleaning. I totally went through testing all the electrical, adjusted valves, cleaned carb a few times, everything I could think of. I could not make that bike run lean with anything I did.
Well one day I decided to tear the carb down one last time, and noticed that there was no main needle seat. Apparently when the previous owner blew out the carb with compressed air, and it blew this seat out too. Long story short, it ran like a champ after installing a new one.
Have you adjusted the mixture screw yet?

I'm getting a tire soon and I'll re-cover the seat also. Any more pictures wanted of anything, carb, etc., let me know. I found a intriguing video last night that helped me with the carburetor.
Cleaning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw7zrVg9O8Y
Adjusting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k6T5riJpCA

Queef Chief
08-31-2015, 09:35 AM
I'm getting a tire soon and I'll re-cover the seat also. Any more pictures wanted of anything, carb, etc., let me know. I found a intriguing video last night that helped me with the carburetor.
Cleaning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw7zrVg9O8Y
Adjusting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k6T5riJpCA

D-Ray has tons of great videos. He is one of the few guys that takes the time to explain things in a way that makes sense. If I ever meet this fella, I'm gonna shake his hand.

Mississippi boy
09-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Just got my Deestone Stryker tires in yesterday! Waiting on the inner tube, but will get it the start of next week. It runs fine, it just won't idle for over about 30 seconds because the idle screw isn't long enough... I am gonna fix that though, I just ain't took the time to do it yet. I'm about ready to ride it with all 3 tires after having it for 5 weeks! :):banned: