PDA

View Full Version : another TRX70?

Tomcall
08-29-2015, 07:28 PM
Putting the engine together and notice that it seems to turn over nicely until I place the cam gear on. It is snug to fit and seems like the NEW cam chain is tight, so tight that I can't move the fly wheel. is that normal??
Need feedback.
Thanks

Tomcall
08-30-2015, 09:57 PM
Ok, I'll answer this myself. after fooling with this most of the day I noticed that If I tighten down the head too much it will prevent the crank from turning over. So, I loosened the bolts and voila! Now I hope it does not leak:(
I'll let you know

oscarmayer
09-08-2015, 10:44 AM
The problem is the cam journals do clamp to the cam. There are a torque spec that needs to be followed. Too tight or too loose will cause you issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomcall
09-09-2015, 03:27 AM
What are cam journals?

250rRoostmaster
09-09-2015, 04:31 PM
This is what the cam sits on/in in the head.

Tomcall
09-10-2015, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the info

oscarmayer
09-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Any updates?

Tomcall
09-15-2015, 10:49 PM
Well, I loosened the head bolts and it turns over ok now. However, I haven't put oil in and tried to start it yet. I am working on a number of parts of the trx and have not gotten to that stage yet. I'll post wether it leaks or not:rolleyes:

terminal velcty
09-23-2015, 05:38 AM
Just FYI, to torque these bolts to the correct spec. You will need a torque wrench and a service manual with the torque numbers in it. Unless someone else can chime in with the info?

trx70's are a great little machine. I have one, my girlfriend loves taking it for a spin every now and then.

Tomcall
09-24-2015, 02:44 PM
Yes, I have a manual and a torque wrench. Did I use either of them for this................nortfm
Get in a hurry and tell myself, "this seems simple, don't need no stinken torque wrench, etc.

oscarmayer
10-06-2015, 10:32 AM
You need to replace the head gasket before you torque it again. The resistance was 2 things. 1 was valve to piston clearance. (Could have been 1 tooth off) the next was cam cover was over tightened and pushing too hard on the cam. You need to use assembly lube on the top end before you put it together or you risk damage to cam journals and cam and other stuff. At a minimum, Drop them. In oil then install.

So???? she working?

Tomcall
10-07-2015, 05:55 PM
Glad you responded. Good information for me.
So, I have it to a point where I can attempt to start it. New ignition coil, new cdi and stator assembly. New switch to turn off the quad. Put fresh fuel and oil in it. Well, it starts but I am getting an awful clanking noise. I think from the right side. I don't want to keep it running as it sounds like it could be causing some kind of damage. I can't find neutral either. My next step is to take off the right side cover and see what's up. And hope it is something I can spot.
I did not know about putting a new head gasket on till your post.
Could I be hearing valves hitting the piston? A question about the cam cover. I am having trouble seeing how that could happen. The bolt for the cover goes through the right side cover through the cam and into the round side plate. Do you mean that it can be too tight that the right side cover would put pressure on the cam?
Thanks for your interest and feedback.

hoosierlogger
10-07-2015, 06:19 PM
The service manual is your friend.