PDA

View Full Version : guys, i'm in trouble. timing issue

quy90jeep
08-30-2015, 06:34 AM
Engine code TB05E.

Engine was running, but seem like timing was too retard.
While riding it last sunday, screws that held pulse generator walked loose. It limped back to the truck. Toke the cdi cover off to tighten the screws and noticed the rotor was 15° degrees advanced from anywhere i could clock the cam sensor. So, i figured the cam timing cold have been off a few teeth. I tore the cdi housing off, lined the flywheel to the T mark, and lined a circle dot on the sprocket to the top V notch groove on the valve cover. Now, assembling the cdi housing and rotor back on, I am now able to set the marks on pulse generator to rotor at F mark. However, now this thing won't start... and its exhausting out the intake side... so cam timing must be off.

I'm wondering if parts somehow were differrent between the X and S. And they mismatched parts... i'm curious if the cam timing was accurate the whole time, but the rotors keyway is clocked differrently between the x and s engines.

The frame is an 1984 200x, with an 1985 200s motor that was swapped by previous owner.

I really miss seeing this thing run at least....

quy90jeep
08-30-2015, 06:45 AM

shortline10
08-30-2015, 07:29 AM
You are 180 degrees out of time . Piston top dead center and the cam lobes pointed down and then line up the timing marks .
Hope you didn't bend the valves . Make sure you re-adjust the timing chain as well .

sanchez
08-30-2015, 02:43 PM
parts are compatible
how bad is your cam chain/guides

above all else make sure cam chain remains tight

lock tight that cam gear, cdi pickup

quy90jeep
08-31-2015, 10:45 PM
Alright guys, so i tinkered back on this thing tonight. I'm still at it now, turns out the problem is the flywheel marking is not true to the actual piston position.... how could this be?

I shined a light through the sparkplug hole and watched the piston travel up. And i used a screw driver to flush on top the piston, turni NV the crank back and forth. Sure enough the flywheel markings are about 15° before the mark on the case ( the little round hole with the slot across the threads. I'm going to attemp aligning the cam and disregard the flywheel markings. I never ran into this, but could somehow the flywheel have been improperly installed onto the crankshaft?

yaegerb
08-31-2015, 10:51 PM
I don't know how that's possible unless you are missing the woodruff key. The flywheel can only go on one way. Then rotate the piston to top dead center. At this point you should have play in both rockers. If you don't, then you installed you can 180 out like short line already said above.

quy90jeep
09-01-2015, 06:38 AM
The trikes running now better then ever. No, the timing was not a 180° off. It was 5tooth too far advanced if i went by the timing mark off flywheel.

My solution was, holding the flywheel and with a screwdriver assure the piston was in fact TDC. Using a blue gel pen, made a new timing mark. Went front there. I then used a micrometer to measure distance between Firing and Timing mark and made another mark next to my blue dot.

It worked.