PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Honda 200s Timing Chain Need Help.

Domi
09-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Hey to all,

When do you know it's time for the cam chain to be replaced? What are signs? Ok so here is my problem, yesterday I decided to adjust my valves and cam chain because it hadn't been done since last season. So I line everything up with the timing marks etc. took the caps off up top, and felt the valves they were loose a bit loose, so I added some clearance to them. Then once I put everything back together I decided to adjust my can chain, and since the self adjuster on these trikes seem to stick, I never know if it actually adjusts or not. So I did the old taking the 10mm bolt out and dropping a bolt into the adjuster, and pulling up with pliers. I noticed when I pulled to put tension on the chain, the engine starting knocking and when I would let off the tension it would go away. So did I put way to much tension on the cam chain by doing it with this method? I should add my cam chain, is tight up top and down below.

yaegerb
09-01-2015, 09:33 AM
Your valves lash needs to be set at .003". To adjust your cam chain you don't pull on anything. You loosen the bolt on the top of the adjuster while its idling and it self adjusts. If after it self adjusts there is still lots of noise present then its time for a new chain.

Domi
09-01-2015, 09:55 AM
I'm guessing the valves would be really tight at .003? I don't have a feeler gauge. I was told because the self adjuster of these trikes seldom work, I had to manually adjust the chain?

yaegerb
09-01-2015, 10:07 AM
unless improperly installed the chain adjuster works fine and will self adjust accordingly. The valves are fine at .003"...that's per the honda manual and no they are not too tight. At TDC you will be able to feel a tiny bit of play in both rockers at .003. I would get a $5 feeler gauge if I were you.

Domi
09-01-2015, 10:37 AM
My adjuster is the original so i'll start the trike up and let it adjust itself then.

Jmoozy27
09-01-2015, 11:33 AM
I would get the valve lash right before I did anything else as yaegerb suggested. Otherwise what your doing is pointless and you can still be getting top end noise.