PDA

View Full Version : '86 Big Red BIG BORE Project.

TRE8815
09-01-2015, 02:32 PM
After being asked if my '86 big red can be sent to the dump I decided to take a break from building an '05 trx450r & go back to the in-expensive beast of my childhood that stood up to abuse no other could! It sat in a garage for 3-4 years after it stopped running & then was put outside behind the garage for about 5-6 years under a tarp.. burried through brutal winters, and... It still looked good!
With the help of this site, Google & facebook Ive managed to discover some pretty cool things people have done with the BR,
Mickey Dunlap being the innovator of them all though with his new spin on things! Didnt take me long to be hooked on the idea!
So I started july 25th of this summer, Brought it home from the cottage & started stripping it in the driveway, to my surprise everything was still mint and completely useable! I have seen parts on ebay in worse condition that are still good... Every friggin' bolt and nut felt like it was torque'd by an impact gun made for andre the giant though, Snipes & wd40 were never far, eventually got it all torn down without much help, Ive never had more than the seat off before and am not the greatest mechanic, more less an ambitious tinkerer that loves bad @ss toys.. The engine was mint! even had the cross hatches from day 1!! nothing loose, everything was surprisingly mint! so.. started sending stuff off to be sand blasted and powder coated and am almost done with that process, will post photo's of when the stuff gets back from the coaters... got some new rims, Still havent ordered rubber but was thinking 26" interco swamplites, got the big bore kit in, Sent out the cylinder and sleeve to be machined and put together, Sent out the head yesterday for porting & bigger valves/installation, Oil cooler kit is on its way, 300ex carb is on its way, Found a nice stainless Bolt Kit on ebay for 150$, thought about tumbling mine but some heads were stripped and theres no sense throwing ugly bolts on a nice new looking bike.. apparently the seller even labels/identifies each baggy of where they go!, so its safe to say I got a big organized mess of parts kicking around waiting for powder and engine work but im just around the corner to putting it all back together!
Some have asked why I put so much money into a big red, the smarter ones asked why spend money on a bike that was mint & more than capable of operating with a little maintenance... well, simple, The big red has taken all the abuse I could throw at it and it happily asked for more! with just the Cobra Megaphone as aftermarket on it back in the day.. It beat the grizzly 660 effortlessly! That was a pretty cool feeling when buddy's brand new grizzly big bore would get destroyed by ol' faithful LOL. so I couldnt think of a better bike to turn into a beast! and besides, everyone around here has them, but no ones got one like the one im putting together! and aside from fresh paint and looking mint, when I line up to another 250es theres no indication that im gonna smoke you except my big red will sound alot different lol... and its not something that I would part ways with... good enough reason to me! as mentioned, I will be keeping updates on the project now on here,
and will also be keeping my eyes out for a few odds and ends, if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!!

I NEED: a gas tank in good shape! as few dents and rust as possible (pref no rust or dents)...
one of thoose black plastic engine "caps" will post pic late on this thread of what it is if no one knows what I mean,
a Clamp for the driveshaft rubber or "boot"... even the boot too or where I could order one!
The little cap on the stator side (flat head cap) mine was jammed on, got some tool marks getting it off
Air Filter info: what do ppl run for an aftermarket filter????
Exhaust studs and crush gasket (Donut) Where to order???
Exhaust? got a cobra megaphone, Are they re-packable or even packed peroid? theres a screw on the can at the bottom that looks like it would hold a core in place, I unscrewed it, tried to pull out the inner part but its either stuck real good or not made to come out, anyhow, gonna sand blast it and powder coat it as it still functions and sounds decent BUT also noticed a thread about ppl putting an HMF off of a 400ex but there wasnt much info.. cant find any new cobra mega phones or any exhaust except quiet models.. thats no good... for me.
Hot Shot CDI for the big red, Anyone try it?? thoughts??

any opinions on other mods or tricks for the BR250 is also welcomed!