PDA

View Full Version : my 200x was running fine shut it off and5 mins later running terrible.

tyler2215
09-06-2015, 12:33 PM
I was riding my 1985 200x yesterday bear hunting and i parked shut it off and about 15 minutes later i startedit and it was cutting out really bad..have to give tons of throttle to keep it going. Any ideas?

mendoAu
09-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Pull the plug, that will tell you alot. Is it oil fouled? It's also the "dusty" time of year so check your air filter. Also just read that the present ethanol in our gas can screw up the fuel tank filter if it has one. Or it could be just one of them pesty bears pissing in your tank.....good luck on your hunt.

350xtrike.rider
09-06-2015, 04:49 PM
carb mighta gotta plugged too. its real easy to clean them contrary to popular belief. but the spark plug is the place to start.

freewheeler
09-06-2015, 05:57 PM
The float valve can become stuck in the open position easily when the gas level is too low. It might be running out of fuel. Check your oil level, has it gone up? Does it smell like gas?

tyler2215
09-07-2015, 11:51 PM
Pull the plug, that will tell you alot. Is it oil fouled? It's also the "dusty" time of year so check your air filter. Also just read that the present ethanol in our gas can screw up the fuel tank filter if it has one. Or it could be just one of them pesty bears pissing in your tank.....good luck on your hunt.

If the plug is oil fouled would it be wet oil or would it be dry and burnt black? I also forgot tl sah that tne bike wi.l actually idle bjt as soon as i try to give it any throttle it cuts out and blows bluish smoke.

BigRedGrizzly
09-08-2015, 09:35 PM
See this article about plug reading. Very very helpful.
http://jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_spark_plugs.htm

BigRedGrizzly
09-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Any idea when was the last time piston rings were replaced. Could be that rings are worn allowing oil to slide by which would cause bluish smoke and an oily plug. Test the compression. If you have less than 120 you more than likely would benefit from a fresh top end. I just did mine. What a difference.

tyler2215
09-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Havnt had any time to work onmit latley but thenbike gas a ton of compression..so much that that i have to get off my bike and kick it from the side so it dosnt fly backnup and hit me in the shin..its weird cus it kicks forward and my other 200x kicks backward. But back to the problem. Didnt even dawn on je that when i put gas in it bout 3 weeks ago when i bought it i noticed that the tank is rusty as hell inside...and another thing that could b involved in the problem is my petcock because i have to run it on reserve cause it barley gets any flow in the on position. So it might have big chunk of shitty rust clogging a line ...? What do u think? And thank u for any advice! It is greatly appreciated.

350for350
09-13-2015, 05:53 PM
I think you've found the problem. Get rid of all of the rust and you should have a good running, reliable trike again.

mendoAu
09-22-2015, 12:57 PM
If you remove the petcock assembly you will find that the internal filter is (at least in my case) very tightly inserted and is a little hard to get out. I had to use an ice pick and a pair of needlenose to remove it. And a new one is on the way....just to gunked up to clean properly..

mendoAu
09-22-2015, 01:13 PM
I also found alot of crud in my tank, esp. towards the top of the tank that usually is exposed to air unless the tank is always filled to the top. I removed all the gas, filled it halfway with hot water and a box of wood screws and shook the hell out of it. Removed the screws and rinsed it well, added a bottle of rubbing alcohol and shook it again and then rinsed it out with a little gas. Might not be perfect but a lot better. After all this I came up with a pin hole leak in the bottom that I have to weld up. Now I'm thinking that I might just leave the tank filter out and put an in-line filter on it but it's really tight quarters for a small filter. I'm a little concerned that I'll wind up with an "air lock" if a longer fuel line/filter is not done properly.

mendoAu
09-22-2015, 01:23 PM
Here's a link to a really great thread that gave me a wealth of info and may answer some of the problems with intermittent running and oil fouled plugs along with several other problems.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/144910-1984-200ES-CDI-Replacement-MythBusted

mendoAu
09-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Here's a link to a really great thread that gave me a wealth of info and may answer some of the problems with intermittent running and oil fouled plugs along with several other problems.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/144910-1984-200ES-CDI-Replacement-MythBusted

tyler2215
10-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Figured it out! There was a part busted inside of the cdi..replaced it and good to go. Thanks for everybodys help

350for350
10-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Ok but did you clean the tank? If not, do so right away to save yourself future headaches.