PDA

View Full Version : '84 200ES CDI.............Wiring questions, potential use from one for a 250R?

TPfromCentralPA
09-11-2015, 11:00 PM
Working on a 200ES at my shop.............Bad CDI, or should I say until we throw it on the concrete and it will work for a bit, then quit again. Anyhow, I got a few new ones for a '85 250R from who knows where. Both are round female with 6 posts, any chances of using the one from the R on the 200 by re-arranging the wires? I know few problems like reverse safety is a sticking point for sure, but can it be deleted? This is not one of mine, and the owner keeps it very nice and wants to keep it as factory as possible because of the collector value, and he doesn't want to hack up the harness to put another CDI on it if this would work and keep the factory appearance without destroying anything.

Thanks
Tyler

kb0nly
09-15-2015, 03:29 AM
Nope...

Been there done that my friend! Thats why i posted the large writeup on here a while back about replacing the round connector for the newer style square connector. You don't have to chop anything up, just remove the pins from the round connector with the wires intact, pop the contacts into the new square style connector and put on a newer style CDI. No chopping, no splicing, nothing, as long as the current connector pins are in good shape its totally re-useable.

My 200ES did the same thing, every couple of days the CDI would quit, got to the point i was letting it hang down so i could unplug it and beat it quick to get it going again. Then one day no matter how much i beat on it i couldnt get it to fire and i was dead in the water, thankfully it happened while in my back yard and not miles away from home. So i re-wired, the pins in my connector were really worn from taking it off and putting it back on 20 times a week, so i removed them from the round connector and clipped them off leaving as much of the wire as possible, crimped on new pins and popped them in the new plug. I keep a spare CDI in the trunk, its been two years at least since i have touched the CDI though, probably never need the spare in the trunk but makes me happy knowing its there... You know what they say, its the item you have a spare for that won't die!! LOL

86125m
09-15-2015, 11:25 AM
dude this is a shendingen cdi box which is the original cdi box supplier. this one is for the 200s 200m and 110 125m. I think it will work for your 200es but I am not sure ill let other chime in. I have one in my 200m and it works fantastically.

86125m
09-15-2015, 11:26 AM
dude this is a shendingen cdi box which is the original cdi box supplier. this one is for the 200s 200m and 110 125m. I think it will work for your 200es but I am not sure ill let other chime in. I have one in my 200m and it works fantastically. here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HONDA-ATC110-ATC125M-ATC200M-ATC200S-CDI-BOX-/361386661106?hash=item542452d4f2&vxp=mtr