PDA

View Full Version : Wheelies + Auto Clutch?

boy&hisdogs
09-12-2015, 06:54 PM
I've got myself a Honda TR200 which features an automatic clutch. I can't quite figure out how to get that frnt end up, at least not in a controlled manner. I looped it once way back when I was a dumb teenager and thought it would be a good idea to gun it in neutral and then slam it into gear. I also got the front end up by accident one time while tiding uphill with an ill-timed shift. I dont remember any specifics about the incident, or even if i was shifting up or down, but i'm wondering if there's something to this.

I'm not really interested in doing it as a stunt but more of a trail technique to get over ledges and obstacles like i do on my mountian bike.

hoosierlogger
09-12-2015, 08:49 PM
Goose it and yank on the bars. Might not hurt to lose a little weight (lol).

Yamawheeler
09-13-2015, 01:10 AM
Put your weight to back of bike crack the throttle and pull back. Hit back brake if you find yourself going to far back.

Yamawheeler
09-13-2015, 08:10 PM
If you need to pop any clutch to get the front end up. You shouldn't be doing it. I have never had to pop any clutch to get my units front end up.

boy&hisdogs
09-13-2015, 11:12 PM
If you need to pop any clutch to get the front end up. You shouldn't be doing it. I have never had to pop any clutch to get my units front end up.

Well that's good to hear. I guess I've been brainwashed by "how to" videos on YouTube where it's always clutch this and clutch that.

For first gear wheelies (if you can't just power it up), when shifting from neutral to first, don't let off the shifter after shifting. That holds the clutch open. Continue to hold the lever in position after shifting and raise the engine RPM before letting off of the shifter. It's accomplishes the same thing as doing first gear wheelies with and manual hand clutch equipped bike.

For 1-2 wheelies, briefly hold the shifter in position after shifting into second, quickly letting off of the shifter after raising the RPM just a little bit more.

Same concept as popping the clutch, so it's probably not the easiest thing on parts, especially the chain.

I've used that technique to 1-2 wheelie the old Honda 4x4 300 FourTraxs. It works on the auto-clutch trikes too, but there really isn't any need for it because they usually come up with power and weight transfer.

Thanks for all the detail! Not that the other replies weren't good enough or anything, "yank the bars and goose it" is really what it boils down to, but I do appreciate the extra explanation.

barnett468
09-13-2015, 11:18 PM
"yank the bars and goose it" is really what it boils down to,

nope, you need to lean back or slide back on the seat at the same time.