PDA

View Full Version : clogged exhaust Tri-Z 250

Karhu
09-13-2015, 10:34 AM
Was rebuilding my Tri-Z 250 and was pointed out that I might have a clogged exhaust, now yesterday I was able to unmount it and get the back part out, this was totally full with 2stroke oil so i replaced the filling there.

Now the Tri-Z has a rather large pipe so I started to explore if i could take it apart further, but havent been able to see how. I mean would it even be possible to do that? Because im pretty sure that part is causing issues on performance of the trike... So does anyone have any experience with doing that? Perhaps a video or picture report would be idillic :P

When I now, without the rear part shake the silencer i can hear something moving...

Thanks in advance for your help!!

ps. don't bother to tell me the truth; buy a new one, threw this one away smt like that. (do share which one would be preferable and fit on the original pipe... lol

sledcrazyinCT
09-13-2015, 07:46 PM
If you have a gas axe burn the oil residue out with it, or throw it in a camp fire to clean the guts out of your pipe

El Camexican
09-13-2015, 10:54 PM
When I now, without the rear part shake the silencer i can hear something moving...

You can't take the pipe apart as it is a single welded piece, but you should be able to rebuild the silencer. Your English is a little confusing. Nothing should be moving in your exhaust and if there is you need to find out what is in there and get it out. It could just be some loose carbon, but if its more than that you need to get it out as it doesn't belong in there.

If its your silencer (the can on the end of the exhaust pipe) that is making the noise and that silencer is also a spark arrester (God knows it's large enough) then there could be a broken metal part in there. You should be able to open it up, inspect it and replace the packing material.

Karhu
09-22-2015, 02:44 PM
Im sorry for the little confusing choose of words.....

I guess my issue's are a clogged exhaust as today I took the trike out without the last only dismountable part of the TRIZ original silencer and it drove little more powerful but lacked lot of power still.

So here is my issue, the TRIZ's original silencer can't be fully cleaned out. I've got the idea that El Camexican is right, perhaps some carbon/oil in the wool or even a broken steel part. As my goal is to keept it as stock as possible I will try to cut it open and welt it all back together after cleaned/replaced everything.

Cheers,
Piet

barnett468
09-22-2015, 07:32 PM
I am using an annoying tablet right now so I can't make a long detailed post . . your silencer is part of your exhaust system so it will likely run bad without the muffler on also so I would not be concerned about that . . I seriously doubt your pipe itself is caked with enough carbon to affect its performance, however, if you want to clean the inside of your pipe out also, you can beat the crap out of it with a rubber mallet then dump any broken off pieces out . . you can then buy two big cans of berryman chem-dip carburetor and parts cleaner or whatever equivalent parts cleaner you might have . . it should say flammable if it is the good stuff that is bad for the trees and flowers etc . . buy an expandable rubber plug for each end of the pipe and buy around 200 8 mm nuts or a big box of bb's etc . . securely stand the pipe on end with the small end pointing upwards . . put the nuts or bb's inside the big end then use a funnel to pour some cleaner into the small end . . fill it until it is around 50 mm from overflowing out of the big end then install the plug in the big end . . fill the pipe until it is around 100 mm of overflowing from the small end then install the plug . . leave it upright for 4 hours . . after this you can turn it so the nuts or bb's go into the big part of the pipe . . you can then move the pipe around so the nuts or bb's can help break loose the carbon then stand it upright for maybe 2 more hours and repeat process if desired . . if you do move the pipe around do it outside on your neighbors lawn in case it builds IP pressure and blows a plug off . . after soaking for 8 hours, it should be clean . . dump the cleaner back into the cans . . you can still use it.

Put the plug in the big end of the pipe then fill it half full of water then swish it around for a minute then dump it out the small end.

if you have tide powdered clothes washing detergent or powdered dish washing machine detergent you can mix some up in a bucket filled with warm water then pour that in the pipe and swish and dump (yes that does sound bad) . . rinse once more with plain water . . warm water is best.