PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225 engine swap

super8
09-16-2015, 05:27 AM
Guys! I have a 225 dx, and am curious if an engine out of a 225 DR will be a direct bolt-in. I know all the mounts are identical but I'm talking about the (shaft) drive line......I'm wanting reverse, any experience out there? Thanks in advance!

Ghostv2
09-16-2015, 11:34 AM
Yes. So is a timberwolf engine and swing arm assembly but you have to fab up a new shock mount.

As far as electronics, I'm not exactly sure what all you'll have to swap over.

super8
09-16-2015, 02:23 PM
SORRY GUYS!!! I goofed.....I wanted to know if a timberwolf engine will bolt in the 225 moto? and also worried about the drive line, going from an engine with no reverse to one with....will the moto rear handle the difference?

350for350
09-17-2015, 09:11 PM
I'd think that it would. As far as I know, the differential is not set up for one way only operation. I'll also bet that the Timberwolf engine would have the same driveshaft as the 225 does. From my experience, Yamaha didn't change much on these models. Your 225 is actually 223 ccm, while the Timberwolf is 229 ccm. I think this is just a difference in bore size. The 200 is really only 196 ccm and they used a different stroke between it and the 225 as well as a bigger bore. Just a little bit of extra info.

Trike_crazy
09-28-2015, 06:16 PM
If you swap the output yoke on the timberwolf for the smaller dx one then you can use the stock swingarm and drive shaft. As far as the electronics go all of my stuff plugged in from the dx harness to the timberwolf engine but mine was a 93 timberwolf engine it might be different on some of the later models. I'm currently building another dx225 with a 250 timberwolf engine and swingarm like my first one but this time the engine is from a 97-98. Worst case scenario you will have to swap the stator from the timberwolf for the dx one so it will plug in.

350for350
10-04-2015, 08:34 PM
I believe the stator is different on the later Timberwolfs. I know a guy who tried to put a 1997 motor on his 1995 Timberwolf. Instead of switching stators, he cut and spliced wires. He eventually got it running, but it never would run right. Maybe it was in the carb. Not sure.

YamaBoss
10-04-2015, 10:31 PM
I believe the stator is different on the later Timberwolfs. I know a guy who tried to put a 1997 motor on his 1995 Timberwolf. Instead of switching stators, he cut and spliced wires. He eventually got it running, but it never would run right. Maybe it was in the carb. Not sure.

I'm not sure on the years or anything, but I do believe you are right. Later models do have different stators or at least different connectors.