PDA

View Full Version : Replaced rear brakes, drum cover tight going on

cheap4tw
09-24-2015, 08:24 AM
Hello all,

I replaced the rear brakes on my 1985 Honda Big Red 250ES last night but when I went to put the drum cover/wheel hub in place it was pretty tight to get it to fit over the pads.

When I try to put the drum on without the hub attached it clears fine.

I think the brakes are dragging a bit because of the tight fit. Any suggestions?

Should I be putting the hub on and then the cover and attaching it or can I put the hub on already attached to the cover?

86125m
09-24-2015, 11:46 AM
They do go on pretty tight. They might drag for a couple of day until the pads get worn down a bit. I wouldn't really worry about it. I have had to beat the drum on the shoes with a rubber mallet before.

350for350
09-24-2015, 11:07 PM
I assume that you backed the brakes all the way off, right? If not, do this and you'll have the problem whipped.

cheap4tw
09-25-2015, 11:15 AM
Back them off at the adjuster where the brake lines connect?

I had the lines off completely when I did the install as I needed to replace both lines and its still tight.

Is there another adjustment Im missing? I don't know much about drum brakes, using a Clymers manual right now.

mendoAu
09-25-2015, 02:32 PM
I'm no expert but make (discovered the 84 shoes are different than the 85's ...so I have a pair of 85 shoes I'd let go cheap..HA!) sure the shoes are the correct ones and make sure that the springs are inserted correct. Also clean and lube the brake cam assembly so that it operates smoothly.