PDA

View Full Version : Is this worth for restoration??

YAMAHA3moto
09-24-2015, 08:08 PM
It's a 1984 Yamaha YTM200EL, in rough condition. Everything is there except CDI box and coil. Engine turns over but i found a couple of holes on the pull starter case so maybe rusted inside. Anyone can give me some tips of look for parts such as plastic kit and electrical kit. Few pictures that i took this morning. Please tell me what you think.
Don't worry about pic no.4
Thanks
Jacky

hoosierlogger
09-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Restoration, no. Fixing up to be a rider, maybe. Those turds don't demand as high of a price as say a big red, but if you can get it cheap I'd go for it.

Racer-X
09-24-2015, 08:29 PM
I agree. For a true complete restoration it would cost more to do it than it would be worth even if it was in mint condition. However the memory and the satisfaction of bringing back something from the dead like that and actually hit the trails again.........PRICELESS!!!!! I say bring it back from the dead and call it "Lazarus"

350for350
09-24-2015, 11:05 PM
The real question here is "is it worth it to you?" Yamahas are harder to find parts for than Hondas. Now is it worth putting money into to have a good running, decent looking trike to ride? I say yes. Remember the word restore means different things to different people. To truly restore a trike, you need to make it look just like it did when it was new. Most of the "restored" trikes here aren't really restored. I know that saying this might offend some people, but it's the truth. Not bad mouthing but most people just don't know what the word restore really means.

YAMAHA3moto
09-25-2015, 06:03 AM
Mate, thanks for your comment. You've taught me a good thing. It's it doesn't really matter about what other people thinks or what's the value of that thing. This trike i think i'm doing this up for myself. I don't really care about what is the value of it or what other people thinks...really appreciated 350for350.

atc300r
09-25-2015, 09:08 AM
I agree with 350for350. I have a lot more money in my trikes than Id ever get for them if I sold them. But I look at it this way they are my trikes and I will do what I want with them and spend what I want on them.They are for MY enjoyment.

Jd110
09-25-2015, 10:03 AM
Was it "dead or dieing" and you bright it back to life? To me, thats restored. Not a full restore, but still restored to some degree. I have "restored" many & none are "like they came off factory line". But still restored to their riding glory days. I've seen lots of money and time tofully restore, just to sit and look pretty. For what? Go ride it and live

Jmoozy27
09-25-2015, 12:27 PM
Was it "dead or dieing" and you bright it back to life? To me, thats restored. Not a full restore, but still restored to some degree. I have "restored" many & none are "like they came off factory line". But still restored to their riding glory days. I've seen lots of money and time tofully restore, just to sit and look pretty. For what? Go ride it and live

The words "restored" and "mint" get thrown around and the words that should be used are. Running and good condition... Look up restoration in a dictionary, not Wikipedia!!!!

Yamaha3moto- a ytm200 is a mule not a stallion, there is no reason to dump a ton of money into it. Just get it running and make sure it is mechanically safe. Fresh oil, clean carb, good tires w/ proper psi, and properly adjusted brakes will be plenty to make the machine the animal it was intended to be.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=222062&stc=1http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=222063&stc=1

Mine has been around longer than any one of my machines. By far requires the least maintenance of all of my machines. No to mention that it Yamahauls-asss!!

briano
09-25-2015, 12:41 PM
Jmoozy27, that thing is mint. Did you do the restoration on it. Lol. There's a moron here trying to sell a mint, barn find big red 250 for $700. I asked for pics and he couldn't text them to me, the next day he had pics with his ad. Somebody wrecked a big red 20 years ago and put it in a barn until this idiot found it. Mint it is not, the only true part of his ad was that it was in a barn.

On topic. I'd get it running first of all and go from there, that machine is not worthy of a restoration. Get it fixed up to ride

Jmoozy27
09-25-2015, 01:24 PM
LOL, that prick probably wreck and parked it. Oh yes, you can tell when a Career CL hustler try's to participate in an online forum. It's like dealing with an automated government telephone message. Communication is attempted by both parties, and then the connection is lost. Usually because the rational party hangs up.

Jd110
09-26-2015, 01:27 AM
There's no need for books here. Restoration is the Act of restoring something. Restore is to put something back in service. So go ahead with the restoration. Paint the SOB green with a white star and everyone will want one

coolpool
09-26-2015, 10:59 AM
Is that a dead kangaroo laying in one picture, or a large dog sleeping?

On topic, from what I can see expect the worse with that one. But what everyone else has said, it's yours to do with it what you want. I like a challenge and you might too? Bring it back to life and make it a rider.

YAMAHA3moto
09-27-2015, 04:22 AM
Jmoozy27, That's a really nice machine. Absolutely pointless to banned them.

YAMAHA3moto
09-27-2015, 05:21 AM
Also, Which model is this one?? 1984 EL or L?

Chopsaw
09-27-2015, 08:40 AM

Found this one in a barn . Cleaned up nice .
I would start by checking what it needs to run and ride .

Jmoozy27
09-27-2015, 09:36 AM
Also, Which model is this one?? 1984 EL or L?

Thanks, shes got it where it counts, it's an '85 ytm200ern

She's just about due for a refresh, but it's gonna take for it to not move any more for me to initialize it.