PDA

View Full Version : Hello! ATC125m motor into a CT90

jgur88
09-29-2015, 09:34 AM
New here, hello all.

I am just about finished up putting a 1984 ATC125m motor into a 1969 CT90 K1. Motor is in, harness, CDI, Regulator, coil, starter relay are all in and ready to go.

For now, I want to do some testing (make sure motor runs, idle, lights, etc) but don't have a battery that fits into the bike yet. Can someone tell me how to start the bike without the battery? I have the wiring diagram but am not a pro at electrics yet. I'm staring at it, learning a lot from it, but to me it looks like I can just pull start it and it should fire up... right?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

86125m
09-29-2015, 10:06 AM
Yes it should start with the pull starter. But I believe there has to be a battery in the wiring harness even if the battery is dead to complete the circuit. But I would just try to start it the worst that could happen is the bike will not start until you put a battery in it.

jgur88
09-29-2015, 11:16 AM
Great, thanks. I guess it does make sense to have something/anything there to complete the circuit. Thinking about just using a heavy gauge wire to keep it complete for now.

YTZ drew
09-30-2015, 06:37 AM
DONT put a wire in place of the battery! Either hook up a battery, or leave it out completely. The engine will run either way, and the charging system won't be hurt (unless you short it out with a wire instead of a battery!). The old points ignition street bikes had to have a battery in them or the rectifier would sometimes fail. These cdi engines don't have the same problem.

350for350
10-04-2015, 08:24 PM
I may be a little late, but just hook jumper cables from a battery to your battery cables. Even the one in your car or truck will work.