PDA

View Full Version : Working at heights... Does anyone else do it???

Jmoozy27
09-29-2015, 01:13 PM
Sometimes I'm at work and ask myself, "Am I the only guy out there that doe dangerous shitt for a living?" Of course I'm not, just curious if any of you nuts make a living in the rafters, or in this case above the rafters.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=222196&stc=1

Jmoozy27
09-29-2015, 01:14 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=222197&stc=1

Red Rider
09-29-2015, 01:41 PM
JMoozy, I'm not afraid of heights, but I am afraid of falling to my death from heights, so your job would give me a slightly uneasy feeling.

I can frequently be found at Flight Level 410, or 41,000' to the non-aviators.

jerkin
09-29-2015, 02:22 PM
JMoozy, I'm not afraid of heights, but I am afraid of falling to my death from heights, so your job would give me a slightly uneasy feeling.

Old boss used to always tell me, "it's not the fall that will kill you, it's the sudden stop at the bottom", lol. Not really afraid of heights but I have noticed the older I get the more uneasy I am about them.

Jmoozy27
09-29-2015, 04:02 PM

I'm definitely not scared of heights, but I do not flying on commercial airlines. I've flown offshore on choppers and it's never bothered me. I think it's the thought of my luggage getting lost that really bothers me.

Jmoozy27
09-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Old boss used to always tell me, "it's not the fall that will kill you, it's the sudden stop at the bottom", lol. Not really afraid of heights but I have noticed the older I get the more uneasy I am about them.

When I first started out, I was just happy to have a job making decent money ($9/hr at the time) so I was always 1st in line to do the dangerous stuff. Now, I get paid significantly more and don't have to do the crazy stuff if I don't want, but always find myself right smack in the middle of it. Guess I kind of like it...:crazy:

Red Rider
09-29-2015, 04:54 PM
I think it's the thought of my luggage getting lost that really bothers me.Yeah, (sh)it happens from time to time, and it could be a tad inconvenient, I would imagine. It sounds like you're addicted to the rush of the dangerous stuff.

RoscoW
09-29-2015, 06:31 PM
As a commercial and contract Glass guy we pretty much spend our day in lift baskets. Our company has 4 -45' Genies, 4- 65' Genies and a 120' JLG as well as a couple electric scissors.

Ross..

Ryanq55
09-29-2015, 07:00 PM
Sometimes I'm at work and ask myself, "Am I the only guy out there that doe dangerous shitt for a living?" Of course I'm not, just curious if any of you nuts make a living in the rafters, or in this case above the rafters.

What is that you do Jmoozy? I just landed a job to start doing line work so ill be getting high soon! :D

Jmoozy27
09-29-2015, 09:16 PM
As a commercial and contract Glass guy we pretty much spend our day in lift baskets. Our company has 4 -45' Genies, 4- 65' Genies and a 120' JLG as well as a couple electric scissors.

Ross..

I was in a genie 45' when today, the first job I went on I was in a jlg120' and it was windy. That thing was swaying so much I knew it was gonna tip. I'm used to that sway now.

Jmoozy27
09-29-2015, 09:20 PM
What is that you do Jmoozy? I just landed a job to start doing line work so ill be getting high soon! :D

Environmental services, in this case I was cleaning aircraft paint off of a vent stack. But I do anything, some of it is nasty. I draw the line at dead people cleanup. I'm no coroner. No thanks. But stuff that goes "zip" & "boom". That's fun!!!!

Chopsaw
09-29-2015, 09:39 PM
Been doing it for over 30 years . Dangerous Is normal , and does become addictive . Be careful .

Jmoozy27
09-29-2015, 10:57 PM
It was a gloomy day before I took these pics, that's likely what caught my attention
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=222214&stc=1http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=222215&stc=1

El Camexican
09-30-2015, 07:11 AM
I had to work at heights years ago. Scaffolds are fine, lots to grab onto. Bosun's chairs not so much. Fortunately they were mainly in elevator shafts and the lighting was poor so you couldn't see the bottom of the shaft, but if you dropped something and it banged off a few channels on the way down you were reminded of it.

I've been stuck on a swing stage at 10 stories that had a failed motor once, that was unpleasant and another time was hung by my ankles by two guys off a 16 story roof to undo a shackle on a curtain wall. As scary as that was I think the worse at height memory I have is of being way up high on a scissor lift that was being driven by an idiot (Keith if your reading this, lets make that FU*KING IDIOT) over an uneven floor that had a bunch of junk on it including sand piles, scrap metal and . That's closest I've ever come to jumping off of something out of fear.

Got to ride to a building top up in a crane basket once as well, that was a rush. I don't like heights per say, but the views are phenomenal.

atc007
09-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Been doing it for over 30 years . Dangerous Is normal , and does become addictive . Be careful .
Well said. Being around situations that will kill you everyday, day in day out. Can quickly become nonchalant. That is when we get hurt. Farmer here,so if something living wasn't trying to kill me, loaded energy or machines were. Silos,,80 feet, were as high as I went. Screw the view. If I'm in the air ,I want a track and skis or tires underneath me ;). I would venture to guess not a lot of us here have very "safe" jobs :)

Jmoozy27
09-30-2015, 10:45 AM
I had to work at heights years ago. Scaffolds are fine, lots to grab onto. Bosun's chairs not so much. Fortunately they were mainly in elevator shafts and the lighting was poor so you couldn't see the bottom of the shaft, but if you dropped something and it banged off a few channels on the way down you were reminded of it.

I've been stuck on a swing stage at 10 stories that had a failed motor once, that was unpleasant and another time was hung by my ankles by two guys off a 16 story roof to undo a shackle on a curtain wall. As scary as that was I think the worse at height memory I have is of being way up high on a scissor lift that was being driven by an idiot (Keith if your reading this, lets make that FU*KING IDIOT) over an uneven floor that had a bunch of junk on it including sand piles, scrap metal and . That's closest I've ever come to jumping off of something out of fear.

Got to ride to a building top up in a crane basket once as well, that was a rush. I don't like heights per say, but the views are phenomenal.

Screw those scissorlifts, I'm much more comfy on a ladder, or even rope access. I have rode from boat to boat, boat to rig, and boat to platform, by crane more times than I can count. It's not bad, unless your in 15' seas and high winds.

Jmoozy27
09-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Well said. Being around situations that will kill you everyday, day in day out. Can quickly become nonchalant. That is when we get hurt. Farmer here,so if something living wasn't trying to kill me, loaded energy or machines were. Silos,,80 feet, were as high as I went. Screw the view. If I'm in the air ,I want a track and skis or tires underneath me ;). I would venture to guess not a lot of us here have very "safe" jobs :)

I've always said that the only job that's safe is the one that you don't have to do. If your not falling, getting squished, ran over, blown up, or burned you are dangling on the edge of insanity because of a shittty office job. So really no job is safe. I like living in the trenches personally. It let's you know your alive.

250rs-neva-die
10-01-2015, 08:49 PM
My job is sort of similar. Very dangerous like all of you guys except most of the time I climb down a ladder into a live manhole. Now when I say live manhole I mean everything around me is running at roughly 5,000 volts 13,800 volts to 23,000 or 34,500 or 69,000 or 115,00 or above. Any of these cables could let go at anytime. You just never know. I don't know who made up that splice how their workmanship and quality of work is. Its always in the back of your head that this could be the last time you get in a hole. Now if I am not working in a manhole I am working in live substations where everything around you is live and is at least 115,000 or 230,000 or 345,000 volts and I am either operating a crane or up in a bucket truck doing line work. like atc007 said it is very easy to get complacent. Always need to be aware of your surroundings no matter what you are doing for a job. I operate a lot of equipment almost daily aside from splicing cable in manholes. Anything could happen at any moment and we all want to go home to our wife and kids. So everyone be safe with whatever you do for work and always remember that Safety doesn't take a holiday. Be vigilant and alert. And another rule I like to go by is "Never stick your fingers or toes where you wouldn't stick your d**k and you will retire with everything you were born with!" Be safe Guys

Jmoozy27
10-01-2015, 11:49 PM
My job is sort of similar. Very dangerous like all of you guys except most of the time I climb down a ladder into a live manhole. Now when I say live manhole I mean everything around me is running at roughly 5,000 volts 13,800 volts to 23,000 or 34,500 or 69,000 or 115,00 or above. Any of these cables could let go at anytime. You just never know. I don't know who made up that splice how their workmanship and quality of work is. Its always in the back of your head that this could be the last time you get in a hole. Now if I am not working in a manhole I am working in live substations where everything around you is live and is at least 115,000 or 230,000 or 345,000 volts and I am either operating a crane or up in a bucket truck doing line work. like atc007 said it is very easy to get complacent. Always need to be aware of your surroundings no matter what you are doing for a job. I operate a lot of equipment almost daily aside from splicing cable in manholes. Anything could happen at any moment and we all want to go home to our wife and kids. So everyone be safe with whatever you do for work and always remember that Safety doesn't take a holiday. Be vigilant and alert. And another rule I like to go by is "Never stick your fingers or toes where you wouldn't stick your d**k and you will retire with everything you were born with!" Be safe Guys

Ooh, I don't screw around with live electrical lines. Although, I have been zapped by 110s and a few 220s, that's how I learned that charged lines are best kept for professionals.

HairyJR
10-02-2015, 10:32 PM
Back about fifteen years I worked for a company in a position which they called Mechanical Training Instructor where I taught a coarse “Personal Lift Devices”, generically speaking any model scissorlift or boomlift. Teach, train then evaluate to qualify them. I’m not afraid to operate them my self to any height but got the most scared when evaluating students as I couldn’t help or give them any instructional guidance. The worst thing that still comes to mind is a student actually jumped from the JLG basket about 10’ up, lucky he had his safety strap lanyard on and stopped him 3’ from hitting the ground. It’s surprising how many people panic once they leave the ground. The attached pic’s I took from the basket of a 185’ boom truck, they called it “Condor” up @ 140’ changing the light bulb on our Meteorological Tower.

"HJ" 222286 :beer

222287 222288 222289

HairyJR
10-02-2015, 11:39 PM
Nope...and don't need electrical power to see at night, the shine is bright enough.

"HJ" 222297 :beer

BigRedGrizzly
10-02-2015, 11:44 PM
Looks like a Star Wars set

Jmoozy27
10-03-2015, 01:18 AM
Back about fifteen years I worked for a company in a position which they called Mechanical Training Instructor where I taught a coarse “Personal Lift Devices”, generically speaking any model scissorlift or boomlift. Teach, train then evaluate to qualify them. I’m not afraid to operate them my self to any height but got the most scared when evaluating students as I couldn’t help or give them any instructional guidance. The worst thing that still comes to mind is a student actually jumped from the JLG basket about 10’ up, lucky he had his safety strap lanyard on and stopped him 3’ from hitting the ground. It’s surprising how many people panic once they leave the ground. The attached pic’s I took from the basket of a 185’ boom truck, they called it “Condor” up @ 140’ changing the light bulb on our Meteorological Tower.

"HJ" 222286 :beer

222287 222288 222289

Damn Hairy, is that a nuke plant??? I'm an RSO, but not too familiar with those. Nice shots though...

El Camexican
10-03-2015, 06:51 AM
YEP......a failed nuke plant (the worst kind don`t think ?) know it sits dormant while they figure out how to deal with it ! The worst money pit ever !........but it`s ok there`s lots of people and lots of money !

Maybe they'll just raise your taxes so they can hire some unemployed knob gobblers for $24 per hour to fill it with black plastic balls and water from the Salton Sea trucked in by Diesel Powered Jettas? There could be a ribbon (purple) cutting ceremony and everything! Win, Win, Win!:Bounce:Bounce:Bounce

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Onofre_Nuclear_Generating_Station

coolpool
10-03-2015, 11:26 AM
Funny thing about heights is that the "fear" part is the same from 34' and up. There's no heightened sense of fear above that. I found that out from my Jumpmaster during parachute school in the Military. I asked him why the mock tower wasn't 50'+ in the air. His simple answer was is wasn't needed. If someone won't jump from 34' they know to suspend training. Now add things like wind, visibility, high/low ambient temps, idiots around you and the risks increase of course with any at height work. I'm expected to work at heights with my current job and fall protection equipment and a plan is required for anything over 10', but I'm rarely required to use it. We hire guys like jmoozy to do it instead :-)

HairyJR
10-03-2015, 12:33 PM
YEP......a failed nuke plant (the worst kind don`t think ?) Now it sits dormant while they figure out how to deal with it ! The worst money pit ever !........but it`s ok there`s lots of people and lots of money !

glamy I retired before their troubles began causing the shutdown decision.

Hey hairy.......what was prevailing wage on that job back when it was being built ?.......like a $100/hr. ? .....that money has a lasting glow an aura if you will ? AWWWW let the next bitchin generation figure it out !!

As I hired on during the start up phase don't know or remember what the construction craft prevailing wage was, but remember speaking to returning construction personnel for outages, who used a saying "hide & seek for a grand a week".

"HJ" 222312 :beer

pantera1975
10-03-2015, 01:35 PM
I feel the same way

RIDE-RED 250r
10-03-2015, 07:32 PM
I work as a heavy equipment operator/truck driver/general laborer at my town's highway department. There are only 9 of us, and our work varies greatly from day to day and season to season.

One of our duties is tree work along our roadsides. It can be as simple as ground work clearing small brush, or bucket truck work to trim higher branches that encroach into the roads, or we can be taking down trees up to and including large roadside maples with the bucket truck that have become a hazard. I am one of two guys willing to go up in the bucket with a saw. We have strict PPE policies so no matter how hot a day it is, protective chaps, forestry hardhat, and fall restraint system is absolutely required for this work with no exceptions. The first time I went up in the bucket I was pretty uneasy with the height. It goes to 60' and I think it was just because I hadn't built any trust yet in the equipment. Now that I have done more and more of it, I actually enjoy it. Just watch out for those dang yellow-jackets and big spiders!! :eek:

Thankfully, we do not work in close proximity to primary power lines. We are not trained/certified for working close to those and we will not be any time in the future. But even still when working on the roadside, one must always be mindful of where the boom of the bucket truck is in relation to power lines, even if they are on the other side of the road.

Kind of related to the whole hazardous job theme and goes hand in hand with the tree work.. we have a 90hp diesel powered chipper we feed the brush and trees into. It will eat up to about a 16" diameter tree. Sometimes we use the Gradall with the clam attachment to feed whole trees into it. That is a scary machine. I have personally had a little broken stub of a branch on a limb that was feeding into the chipper grab the cuff of my glove and pull my arm closer to the feed drums than I care to have it. Stupid thing is that there is a safety bar that wraps around the sides and top of the feed chute that only requires a slight bump to reverse the feed drums. In my little bit of panic my reflex was to pull back, and HARD. Ripped my leather work glove at the stitching just before a coworker/friend hit the safety bar. He asked after we got done with that session of chipping why I hadn't just hit the bar. Told him I didn't know, instinct took over and the instinct was to pull back. That's one of those machines that nobody runs alone generally speaking. It would eat a human being and not even grunt. The chipping disc is about a 4 foot flywheel that I estimate weights about 500lbs.

We do alot of jobs where we kind of have to look out for one another.

83ATC185
10-05-2015, 04:25 PM
Saw this today. I don't consider myself to be afraid of heights but these guys are nuts. I'd much rather skydive than stand at the top of this thing while it swayed in the breeze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k4Xk1mEwmI

sweetip2000
10-16-2015, 08:44 PM
Are you a cell phone tower repair guy ? I am a painter and the highest I have been up is 40 foot inside on scaffolding. I was at the very top and the way I got over the fear was getting into heated debates over politics 40 feet up. It took the focus off the fear. I cant stand climbing up and down the sides like a monkey especially when you forget something.

Jmoozy27
02-18-2016, 01:47 PM
This is what we are on now, confined space entry at 125'. Not my favorite thing to do but at least they pay us for it.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=227878&stc=1

Jmoozy27
04-12-2016, 09:26 AM
Same shitty time, same shitty channel... Still pretty high...
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=230358&stc=1http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=230359&stc=1
When you think your high.. You look up and see these guys even higher...
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=230360&stc=1
Being high makes this guy lazy...
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=230362&stc=1
Anyone else high???

Jd110
04-12-2016, 09:33 AM
Your high alright.

averysdad
04-12-2016, 10:44 AM
230371230372 I build 15 20 story parking garages and building we used to do crazy stuff but now days it's all about safety

averysdad
04-12-2016, 10:58 AM
Just found this pic that's me and that's a 10 story elevator shaft cheek out the hand rail didn't even think about it at the time lol230381

Jmoozy27
04-12-2016, 11:07 AM
Just found this pic that's me and that's a 10 story elevator shaft cheek out the hand rail didn't even think about it at the time lol230381

No toe board either.

averysdad
04-12-2016, 11:15 AM

averysdad
04-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Jmoozy extend the boom lift all the way up and drive it over a small pot hole that'll give you a little rush lol

Jmoozy27
04-12-2016, 01:55 PM
Jmoozy extend the boom lift all the way up and drive it over a small pot hole that'll give you a little rush lol

Done that I time or 2 but never on purpose.

Jd110
05-22-2016, 06:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/embed/f1BgzIZRfT8?feature=player_embedded

$1500/day?

Jmoozy27
05-22-2016, 10:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/embed/f1BgzIZRfT8?feature=player_embedded

$1500/day?

Geez, I scooted up a 50' tower and I thought I was tough. Pretty sure I couldn't handle that. Anyone who's climbed up at least 100' of ladder rungs knows just how exhausting that is. There has been times when I seriously was considering letting go and falling to my death. No trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro!!!

Jd110
05-23-2016, 12:10 AM
A customer that pays me to change their light bulbs (at 20'), e-mailed that video today & I thought of you.
I did like your reply until the end got me a bit worried. Mozzy, man, don't think like that! Your a good dude! Plus, I saw that beautiful picture of your family a while back. Hang in there, bro.

MIK6
05-23-2016, 08:25 AM
I'm a scaffold builder in nuclear power plants..
I can't share any picts though...nlol

El Camexican
05-23-2016, 09:00 AM
I'm a scaffold builder in nuclear power plants..
I can't share any picts though...nlol

No pics eh? Wonder why? :lol: